Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Beilein has agreed to a 5 year deal with the Cavs

6 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Matta had two final four teams. He is being mentioned as a successor to Beilein at Michigan. He might be the best they can get at this late date. I don't see anyone from the NBA dropping down to the college game.

I don't know if Matta is a home-run, but hard to see him as settling. He's been successful in the conference, is relatively young and doesn't have any obvious baggage (that I know of.) Again, I hope they screw it up, but I'd definitely have Matta on my short list. He might enjoy tweaking the O$U after they invited him to leave too. 

Current rumor on the main Michigan board is Shaka Smart. Fans aren’t happy, if true. We all know how coaching rumors go when we went through ours.

Ironically, they had a Billy Donovan sighting at a Ann Arbor restaurant, with a realtor.  He wasn’t looking for a horse farm, so it wasn’t true. Lol. 

9 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Current rumor on the main Michigan board is Shaka Smart. Fans aren’t happy, if true. We all know how coaching rumors go when we went through ours.

Ironically, they had a Billy Donovan sighting at a Ann Arbor restaurant, with a realtor.  He wasn’t looking for a horse farm, so it wasn’t true. Lol. 

At least our board rumors were about good coaches. Shaka, Jordan, Moser? Lol woof. 

7 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

At least our board rumors were about good coaches. Shaka, Jordan, Moser? Lol woof. 

Lol. I agree. Pass, pass, pass. 

Not sure who they will get, but they won’t pay more than they do for football. 

19 hours ago, Feathery said:

What happened here is that Kent Sterling (Indy radio guy) made the joke on Twitter in reference to our coaching search and people took him as serious because a lot of people from outside Indy have no idea who he is... They just saw a guy with a blue checkmark next to his name and took him at his word... lol

What happened here is that Kent Sterling (Indy radio guy) made the joke on Twitter in reference to our coaching search and people took him as serious because a lot of people from outside Indy have no idea who he is... They just saw a guy with a blue checkmark next to his name and took him at his word... lol

Is that how it all started? I used to listen to Kent on the radio some back then and had never heard he was part of the source on this. I could see that being true but could also see that he was passing on bad information that he felt was accurate. Was he just the source on being in town looking at horse ranches or that we were talking to him as a candidate

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Is that how it all started? I used to listen to Kent on the radio some back then and had never heard he was part of the source on this. I could see that being true but could also see that he was passing on bad information that he felt was accurate. Was he just the source on being in town looking at horse ranches or that we were talking to him as a candidate

I’m only talking about his tweet about Donovan at Michigan.

Apparently, according to 247Sports, neither Stevens nor Donovan are interested. That's not surprising to me. The Detroit paper had an update saying Juwan Howard and LaVall Jordan are included on the Michigan AD's list. It also mentions there's been a lot of speculation on Shaka Smart. Also said Ed Cooley is a likely candidate. 

Interesting about Smart. Coaches seem to do very well at Virginia Commonwealth, but not so much when they move to a Power 5 school. Jeff Capel was great at VCU; fired at Oklahoma. Anthony Grant was great at VCU; fired at Alabama. Shaka Smart was great at VCU; still at Texas, but has been relatively mediocre. Will Wade was great at VCU; is in trouble because he's a cheating dog at LSU.  

Also, Jalen Wilson -- 6-8 four-star small forward from Denton, Texas -- asked Michigan to be released from his LOI. 247sports says he's a  "big perimeter prospect that possesses shooting ability and skill." ... We apparently weren't in on him in his initial recruiting (before signing with Michigan, his other schools listed on that website were Kansas, Baylor, Oklahoma State and Arizona State). ... Hoping Archie at least takes a look. 

11 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Apparently, according to 247Sports, neither Stevens nor Donovan are interested. That's not surprising to me. The Detroit paper had an update saying Juwan Howard and LaVall Jordan are included on the Michigan AD's list. It also mentions there's been a lot of speculation on Shaka Smart. Also said Ed Cooley is a likely candidate. 

Interesting about Smart. Coaches seem to do very well at Virginia Commonwealth, but not so much when they move to a Power 5 school. Jeff Capel was great at VCU; fired at Oklahoma. Anthony Grant was great at VCU; fired at Alabama. Shaka Smart was great at VCU; still at Texas, but has been relatively mediocre. Will Wade was great at VCU; is in trouble because he's a cheating dog at LSU.  

Also, Jalen Wilson -- 6-8 four-star small forward from Denton, Texas -- asked Michigan to be released from his LOI. 247sports says he's a  "big perimeter prospect that possesses shooting ability and skill." ... We apparently weren't in on him in his initial recruiting (before signing with Michigan, his other schools listed on that website were Kansas, Baylor, Oklahoma State and Arizona State). ... Hoping Archie at least takes a look. 

Gotta at least put out feelers to the kid. Obviously not dirty going to Michigan and doesn’t mind the Midwest 

On 5/15/2019 at 9:43 PM, Alford Bailey said:

We are about to see bad Michigan basketball for a while.

I would be happy with that as well as them not poaching some of our best talent. Michigan St will take a big drop also when Izzo hangs it up also. If Archie can get it rolling we are poised to have a great decade hopefully.

I wouldn't count on Michigan dropping down much. They have a great tradition and I suspect they will hire a good coach--maybe not as good as Beilein but someone who can recruit. Izzo isn't going anywhere for at least another five years. Meanwhile, IU can't even find suitable players to fill their available scholarships.

1 hour ago, schoosier said:

I would be happy with that as well as them not poaching some of our best talent. Michigan St will take a big drop also when Izzo hangs it up also. If Archie can get it rolling we are poised to have a great decade hopefully.

r.e. MSU: It's something I've thought for quite a while, that the top schools with long-time coaches will likely take a big hit.  It is more of the rule than exception it seems to me.  Fans always clamor for the grand slam hire, but those rarely ever occur.  There's only so many coaches that fit the bill and usually they're already at top programs and would be very unlikely to jump.  Heck, we look at the team in Lexington and they were rebuffed by Donovan (the clear fan favorite).  Unless a team can lure a top name alumni coach, they will almost always go through a coach or two before finding their guy and odds aren't great he'll be HOF material.

I think with Beilein it's a case of wanting to coach - not spend much of your time recruiting players and then having to deal with being hamstrung by the stupid NBA draft rules.  It's why I don't think guys like Donovan or Stevens would want to get back in college coaching, at least if they're given a choice.

2 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

r.e. MSU: It's something I've thought for quite a while, that the top schools with long-time coaches will likely take a big hit.  It is more of the rule than exception it seems to me.  Fans always clamor for the grand slam hire, but those rarely ever occur.  There's only so many coaches that fit the bill and usually they're already at top programs and would be very unlikely to jump.  Heck, we look at the team in Lexington and they were rebuffed by Donovan (the clear fan favorite).  Unless a team can lure a top name alumni coach, they will almost always go through a coach or two before finding their guy and odds aren't great he'll be HOF material.

I think with Beilein it's a case of wanting to coach - not spend much of your time recruiting players and then having to deal with being hamstrung by the stupid NBA draft rules.  It's why I don't think guys like Donovan or Stevens would want to get back in college coaching, at least if they're given a choice.

Stevens and Donovan will be NBA guys for the rest of their careers. If they get fired, another NBA franchise will snap them up quickly, or they can retire with the fortunes they have already made. 

Brad Stevens was actually encouraging Beilien to go the NBA. Selling him on how much better coaching in the NBA is over the NCAA. If anyone was still holding out hope for Stevens to return to college, it’s not happening. 

23 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Stevens and Donovan will be NBA guys for the rest of their careers. If they get fired, another NBA franchise will snap them up quickly, or they can retire with the fortunes they have already made. 

Brad Stevens was actually encouraging Beilien to go the NBA. Selling him on how much better coaching in the NBA is over the NCAA. If anyone was still holding out hope for Stevens to return to college, it’s not happening. 

Exactly. ... Those guys are pretty good at what they do and how many mediocre coaches have we seen recycled again and again in the Association? ... Except for rare occasions -- Popovich, Sloan (when he was coaching) -- it seems as if many NBA coaches end up having worked for 3-4 teams before they hang up the whistle and clipboard. ... TBH, I think I'd actually rather coach 18-22 year-olds than headstrong dudes making millions, but I sure wouldn't want to have to travel all over the country begging those kids to play for me. 

Apparently Juwan Howard getting consideration now.

Seeing how Penny has done with recruiting and Michigan’s penchant for doing what it takes to win.

That hire would at minimum lead to stellar recruiting classes imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I’m not saying it wouldn’t lead to that if they’re playing the game, but I’d give Penny some credit on him just being who he was probably does attract some kids but Juwan Howard doesn’t have that type of popularity. I feel like kids today don’t even really pay attention to the fab 5 past Webber and Rose

Where did you see that about Stevens? I know he liked having his summers off for family reasons but your comment adds more to the idea he is staying in the NBA.