Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Beilein has agreed to a 5 year deal with the Cavs

Not really that crazy. If you were cheating your a$$ off and getting away with it, why would you stop? This is why coaches like Calipari will never leave until they retire. Conversely, why would a clean coach want to continue recruiting against a laughably un-level playing field? See: Brad Stevens.

That was my point. The NCAA is fine being a corrupt governing body while making boatloads of money. I love college basketball. The star power is cool to see but isn’t what “makes” college basketball for me. It’s unfortunate the NCAA is a huge load of crap.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

My top 5 for Michigan: 

Billy Donovan- Think he could really take the job. I don't think the NBA is for him. He is still really young in the coaching world. 

Chris Beard-No chance but worth the call.

Tony Bennett-Again, no chance but worth the call.

Thad Matta-Could be an interesting hire. His last few years at OSU weren't great. But he had a good 8 year run similar to Beilein. 

Nate Oats-Doubt he leaves 'Bama but crazier things have happened. 

If none of these guys take the job I hire within on an interim basis. See who is out there next year. They are too good of a program to take a step backwards. I see Porter Moser's name attached. 1 NCAA tournament appearance in 15 years..no thank you. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

My top 5 for Michigan: 

Billy Donovan- Think he could really take the job. I don't think the NBA is for him. He is still really young in the coaching world. 

Thad Matta-Could be an interesting hire. His last few years at OSU weren't great. But he had a good 8 year run similar to Beilein. 

If none of these guys take the job I hire within on an interim basis. See who is out there next year. They are too good of a program to take a step backwards. I see Porter Moser's name attached. 1 NCAA tournament appearance in 15 years..no thank you. 

Apparently, Oats already has said he's not interested. ... Jeff Goodman threw Chris Collins' name out there, too. 

Juwan Howard is more realistic. I can’t see Donovan going back to college. He’s been fairly successful in the NBA. Michigan could always go w Pitino. That would be a bold maneuver. He would bring them recruits, strippers, and probation.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Apparently there have been a flight or two between Indianapolis and Ann Arbor which has Butler people on their boards freaking out that Jordan is going to bolt for Michigan. I know he hasn’t gotten results yet but he could have been Beileins recommendation to UM’s AD.

4 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Apparently there have been a flight or two between Indianapolis and Ann Arbor which has Butler people on their boards freaking out that Jordan is going to bolt for Michigan. I know he hasn’t gotten results yet but he could have been Beileins recommendation to UM’s AD.

I'm ok with that. 

29 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

My top 5 for Michigan: 

I don't agree. They have been consistently good the last 8yrs, but have been very up and down historically. They are a football school and will tolerate mediocrity in basketball. I think your Thad Matta idea is intriguing though, and I hope they don't make that move, as I believe he is a good coach, despite his monumentally ginormous clown nose. 

50 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I'm ok with that. 

I don't agree. They have been consistently good the last 8yrs, but have been very up and down historically. They are a football school and will tolerate mediocrity in basketball. I think your Thad Matta idea is intriguing though, and I hope they don't make that move, as I believe he is a good coach, despite his monumentally ginormous clown nose. 

8 final fours, 1 natty, 6 time runner up. That's pretty good man. They are a good program. Especially after Beilein took over. Thad would be awesome there. I think Jordan is a reach. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Apparently, Oats already has said he's not interested. ... Jeff Goodman threw Chris Collins' name out there, too. 

Yeah 3/5 guys I listed won't take that job. It's tough to find a good coach this time of the year. I'd want an NBA guy. Juwan Howard has been rumored. I'd rather have him than a Porter Moser. 

Butler fans 2 months ago didn’t think too much of him. 

Correct but most have come to realize it takes 3 or 4 years to see success after a coaching change and that program needs some stability. They’ve gotten lucky with the success after previous coaching changes. Not to mention recruiting for the 2020 class seems to be trending in the right direction at the moment.

50 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Correct but most have come to realize it takes 3 or 4 years to see success after a coaching change and that program needs some stability. They’ve gotten lucky with the success after previous coaching changes. Not to mention recruiting for the 2020 class seems to be trending in the right direction at the moment.

Good coaches in the modern NCAA don’t usually need 3-4 years. The vast majority of examples people cite are from decades ago. Chris Holtmann has been more successful year 1 than his predecessor in two gigs now 

Kinda odd IU fans are so stuck on this claim when Bob knight won the conference in year 2 

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Good coaches in the modern NCAA don’t usually need 3-4 years. The vast majority of examples people cite are from decades ago. Chris Holtmann has been more successful year 1 than his predecessor. 

Kinda odd IU fans are so stuck on this claim when Bob knight won the conference in year 2 

Matta played for a NC so Holtman has a ways to go to be his equal. He has done very well though.

Matta had two final four teams. He is being mentioned as a successor to Beilein at Michigan. He might be the best they can get at this late date. I don't see anyone from the NBA dropping down to the college game.

Good coaches in the modern NCAA don’t usually need 3-4 years. The vast majority of examples people cite are from decades ago. Chris Holtmann has been more successful year 1 than his predecessor in two gigs now 

There’s nothing usual about coaches succeeding immediately as you state. Those are the outliers.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

This will be year 3 and our team thinks effort is optional......

I fully expect Michigan to do a better job even this late in the game.

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

There’s nothing usual about coaches succeeding immediately as you state. Those are the outliers.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile appo

That’s an awful lot of outliers. The expectations shouldn’t change after somebody fails. Everybody rightfully expected the tourney in year 2

Just in this geographic area. You’ve got Kentucky, Louisville, Butler and OSU that have all done it with one of their last two hires. 

Arizona did it. LSU did it. Texas tech did it with their most recent hires. 

And I am certain there’s a long list of others that I am missing.