Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Beilein has agreed to a 5 year deal with the Cavs

After Izzo (24), Painter has the most tenure in the conference at 14 years. Now with Michigan there will be 7 coaches with 4 yrs or less at their school. (Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio St, Illinois, Indiana, Rutgers, Wisconsin)  

5 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

After Izzo (24), Painter has the most tenure in the conference at 14 years. Now with Michigan there will be 7 coaches with 4 yrs or less at their school. (Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio St, Illinois, Indiana, Rutgers, Wisconsin)  

Overall, I've got RMK at IU for 29 years and Piggy Lambert at PU for 29 years (though not consecutively). 

Anybody ever been at a B1G school for a longer period?  

I think it is safe to say no one was expecting this. I wonder what Archie’s thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I believe it was Beilein that was asked what IU under Archie had to do to be a perennial conference contender. In his response, Beilein said something to the effect of having other programs fall to create an opening to rise. I’d say Beilein leaving will creat such an opening. Now, if Izzo would get what he deserves...

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm just thinking about the number of metaphorical aneurysms that will go down on this board if they hired Billy Donovan or Gregg Marshall

Jeff Goodman thinks they will hire ol Billy

I'm just thinking about the number of metaphorical aneurysms that will go down on this board if they hired Billy Donovan or Gregg Marshall

Honestly this will be an interesting search. By all accounts their AD is what we should have looked for in an AD. One who has been gaining increasing levels of success and high level schools. The fact that he is an alum sure helps.

I hope they do get aggressive and try to go after some big fish just to see what could happen. They may swing and miss like UCLA and he would look bad or he could really make an aggressive, targeted pitch and end up with a great hire.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

16 hours ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I'm just thinking about the number of metaphorical aneurysms that will go down on this board if they hired Billy Donovan or Gregg Marshall emoji23.png

That would suck for us.

22 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Why couldn’t Izzo leave for the NBA and Beilein stay?! It’s crazy that the cleaner coaches leave for the NBA but the slimy ones stay or return to college, cough K, Calislimy, Pitino, Roy, Boeheim, etc.

Not really that crazy. If you were cheating your a$$ off and getting away with it, why would you stop? This is why coaches like Calipari will never leave until they retire. Conversely, why would a clean coach want to continue recruiting against a laughably un-level playing field? See: Brad Stevens.

Was IU ever actually in talks with hiring Billy, or was that a smokescreen created by cool dad?

Yes “Cool Dad” is going to leak info we are going after an NBA coach who has won multiple NCAA titles to throw off the locals, only to hire a coach from Dayton. Completely logical imo.

8 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Yes “Cool Dad” is going to leak info we are going after an NBA coach who has won multiple NCAA titles to throw off the locals only to hire a coach from Dayton. Completely logical imo.

You really think Cool Dad is more intelligent than that? Another poster mentioned he heard IU was never willing to pay Billy more than he was making at OKC. So If you ask literally anyone, they would tell you that we have no chance of landing any coach if we are offering less than they are currently making. So from simple logic, acting like we have a shot at getting billy D by offering him the same or less money is not realistic and would be seen as a smokescreen to most. 

You really think Cool Dad is more intelligent than that? Another poster mentioned he heard IU was never willing to pay Billy more than he was making at OKC. So If you ask literally anyone, they would tell you that we have no chance of landing any coach if we are offering less than they are currently making. So from simple logic, acting like we have a shot at getting billy D by offering him the same or less money is not realistic and would be seen as a smokescreen to most. 

Yes, I sincerely think he is more intelligent than that and it’s funny to assert otherwise. Honestly sit back, take everything in, and ask yourself if it’s logical. I can’t believe we are having a justification of that thought convo.

Edit: He had 3 years and $20 mill left on his contract. That may have a wee bit to do with us not “willing” to pay him. Our coaches have historically been the top 10 paid coaches in the country. We aren’t cheap (edit) when it comes to this.

Yeah but UCLA offered Calipari less than he was making at Kentucky.

That was a wild coach search.

Yes it was and it tells me they are either arrogant or weren’t serious. I still can’t believe they tried what they did if they wanted him.

On 5/13/2019 at 9:02 AM, BGleas said:

Why would it be a money jump? The guy has made a ton of money. He’s in his mid60’s, it’s his last shot at the highest level most likely. He doesn’t has to deal with recruiting, FBI scandals, etc. , etc. 

Plus it isn't like Cleveland is completely devoid of talent, Sexton played much better as the year went on. They have a top 3 pick this year. Osman and Nance Jr. are fine players, they don't move the needle a ton but are the type of guys who get you through an 82 game season. And Love is still a fine piece to use either as a trade piece or a really good vet, 

And it isn't like they're horrible cap wise going forward, all their bad contracts come off the book after next year and Osman is the only guy who looks like he is due a jump in pay.