Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Beilein has agreed to a 5 year deal with the Cavs

Wow.  Never saw this coming.

I have a TON of respect for JB and the program he has built at UofM.  Not only that, but the way he conducts himself on the sidelines and how he has continually made it known how he feels about the cheaters in this sport.

Sad day for the Big Ten to lose a guy like this.

46 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

I think think thats the key. Now he doesnt have to go on recruiting trips and deal with all that stuff almost year round.

Not money! Recruiting and not willing to roll in the mud. Wouldn’t be surprised if he becomes even more vocal about the inequities between those who do and those who won’t in the college game.

This is why Michigan cancelled Lester Quinones official visit. Beilein knew this was in the works.  It's a good move for Beilein.  A new challenge, more money and doesn't have to bother with the recruiting circus. Besides, he wasn't going to win a national championship with the Michigan team he has. Maybe Cleveland wins the lottery and ends up drafting Zion!

3 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Yep. Tough spot to go into. But a heck of a challenge. Guessing that’s his last contract. Good luck to him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think so. He will be 67. Not saying coaching in the NBA isn't tough but college basketball is so much about recruiting non-stop. That has to be tiring for even a 40 year old head coach. Cleveland may have their pick of Zion, Ja Morant, or RJ Barrett. Sexton and Love are already decent pieces there. Question is, who does Michigan hire? Do they promote within? Rough few months for them. Ugly Sweet 16 loss, losing a few guys to the NBA, and now this. 

2 hours ago, Myrmidon76 said:

Sad to see him go. A top flight coach that made our conference and our conference teams better. Tough pill for the University I suppose, but if it's ok for the players to pursue their dreams, then it applies to the staff as well. Wish him well at his new opportunity. 

Agree he seems like a decent guy and obviously a great coach- but that is why I'm not sad to see him leave! I want IU to win and that is tougher with a good Michigan program. So for selfish, immature and purely self-serving reasons I say "adios!" Now I want Michigan to flub the hire and set their program back for years to come!!

Next week: Michigan turns heel and hires Rick Pitino. The only available coach at this point. Father vs. Son in the same conference. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Michigan was dirty when being dirty wasn't cool. They're going back to guns for hire now that there's definitely no teeth in enforcing a school of their size and value.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just now, LIHoosier said:

Michigan was dirty when being dirty wasn't cool. They're going back to guns for hire now that there's definitely no teeth in enforcing a school of their size and value.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've been a huge Beilein fan. Definitely a class act. Interested to see what direction they go.

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Michigan was in on a grad transfer from Oakland University, that could shoot it. Now with this move, I wonder if that is an option. 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2019/05/09/oakland-grizzlies-grad-transfer-jaevin-cumberland-would-fill-need-michigan-wolverines-basketball/1151209001/

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Sam Webb (Michigan’s top 24/7 guy, and radio host) had Michigan as the leader. Said on Friday if it goes past this week, then that could change. Well, not having a head coach changes things drastically. 

13 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Maybe Belien started feeling enough is enough at the college level and wanted an NBA gig before retirement just to give it a whirl.

Paul Biancardi‏Verified account @PaulBiancardi

Had coffee with John Beilein in Atlanta during the live period. He loved Michigan, but was frustrated with the new NBA draft rules. Roster continuity was an issue with his good players. The FBI situation also had him questioning much about the college game.

You know, I can't blame him for his frustration. He has three guys testing the waters. If Iggy, Poole, or Matthews go undrafted, they can return to campus in late June. By then summer workouts have began. The uncertainty could cause a recruit not to choose Michigan. I'm not sure what the solution is. I love how the players have options, but it throws the coach off. You should have your roster finalized by now. I'm a fan of moving the draft up to late April/early May. MLB holds their draft midseason. Of course I'm also a fan of having kids go pro straight out of high school. If you do decide to go to college you must stay three years. It will help the quality of the NBA and College basketball. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Maybe Belien started feeling enough is enough at the college level and wanted an NBA gig before retirement just to give it a whirl.

Paul Biancardi‏Verified account @PaulBiancardi

Had coffee with John Beilein in Atlanta during the live period. He loved Michigan, but was frustrated with the new NBA draft rules. Roster continuity was an issue with his good players. The FBI situation also had him questioning much about the college game.

I can totally see that. 

Not only is there the frustration with players testing the NBA -- maybe they come back, maybe they don't, and you don't know till the end of May. But he seems like an old-school guy who likes to keep things on the up and up, and he's probably tired of going to recruits with: "We can get you a great education at a great school. We play in the nation's best conference and on a national stage. We can make you a better basketball player." 

While others go at them with: "I can get you a hundred grand -- maybe 150 grand if you commit within the next week." 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

I can totally see that. 

Not only is there the frustration with players testing the NBA -- maybe they come back, maybe they don't, and you don't know till the end of May. But he seems like an old-school guy who likes to keep things on the up and up, and he's probably tired of going to recruits with: "We can get you a great education at a great school. We play in the nation's best conference and on a national stage. We can make you a better basketball player." 

While others come at you with: "I can get you a hundred grand -- maybe 150 grand if you commit within the next week." 

Exactly, that is the gist of why I detest the cheaters so much. They aren't cheating "the system" they are screwing those who are honest. They are stealing from players, coaches and fans that aren't systemically & maliciously breaking rules for personal gain. I don't understand the wink-wink, nod attitude about the cheating, as if it's a badge of honor for those that really want to win badly. BS, it's the worst kind of scum that takes what they haven't earned then basks in the accolades as if they have. They are doing the same thing as the stolen valor D-bags that claim to be military vets so people ooh and aah, except they don't make millions of $$'s off it. Nick Saban, Calipari and their ilk should be hit in the head with an ax handle and thrown off a bridge, but since that is unlikely, at the very least shamed and fired. Instead they are constantly lauded when everyone, EVERYONE knows what is happening.

19 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Exactly, that is the gist of why I detest the cheaters so much. They aren't cheating "the system" they are screwing those who are honest. They are stealing from players, coaches and fans that aren't systemically & maliciously breaking rules for personal gain. I don't understand the wink-wink, nod attitude about the cheating, as if it's a badge of honor for those that really want to win badly. BS, it's the worst kind of scum that takes what they haven't earned then basks in the accolades as if they have. They are doing the same thing as the stolen valor D-bags that claim to be military vets so people ooh and aah, except they don't make millions of $$'s off it. Nick Saban, Calipari and their ilk should be hit in the head with an ax handle and thrown off a bridge, but since that is unlikely, at the very least shamed and fired. Instead they are constantly lauded when everyone, EVERYONE knows what is happening.

Also clouds the perception and reality of who can really coach! Anyone can roll out the balls a bunch of 5* kids and make it a few rounds in the tourney. Beilein could coach!