Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

15 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Damn, it’s a chippy day on here:)

My breakdown on the 2019 class:

TJD - huge get and could be an Alan Henderson type get for us if he sticks around 3-4 years.

Franklin - nice pickup, will be more helpful in years 2-4 which is what we need to build off of

Brunk - nice piece but with Deron and TJD, I don’t see him starting and doesn’t space the floor for us which we desperately needed, see below

Missing piece - we were a horrible shooting team last year and it made it so congested and stagnant. We were missing Alford/Reddick type players that would provide motion, spread the floor and knock down 3 point shots. We honestly don’t know what Archie’s offense is even supposed to look like because we had such a glaring hole there. What I and I believe many others find crazy is that we didn’t get anyone to solve for that. How do we have such an obvious need and not address it? That’s the wtf many are touching on (I believe:) - I want to make it clear that I don’t speak for anyone else)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I like the Alan Henderson comparison with TJD. If he does become an Alan Henderson, wow, that would be great.

I don't like to comment as much as I used to because things on here can be pretty toxic, but I do have an observation directed to some a people. It doesn't make much sense to me when you say that you want us to adopt a model of building talent over the course of three or four years and then completely write off a player after his freshman year. 

True! I personally haven’t but I do hear the concerns some have about Damezi. Most freshmen lack consistency but the good ones usually have flashes where you can see what potential is there. With him, he just looked timid, clumsy and honestly didn’t even look like a basketball player out there. Had someone said we grabbed him off the football team or something I would have believed them

He has good size and showed signs in high school so hopefully the hard work he has committed himself to pays off. The game was just too fast for him

Could care less about the number of "stars" a recruit has. Just give me guys who can play their role and give maximum effort every night. Things like not hustling back on defense, not working hard through the pick and roll, and getting beat by guys who can dribble and drive right to the hole with little to no effort and no help, HAVE TO STOP.

I don't know if it was laziness, lack of conditioning, or an IQ thing, (maybe a combo of the 3) but last season was probably one of the "dumbest" IU teams I can remember. SO much talent on paper. So many unforced turnovers and sloppy play in general. And I mean "dumbest" in the most respectful way possible.

I'm not sure Damezi Anderson is being written off. But it is hard to see him being the answer to IU's 3-point shooting woes for the upcoming 2019-20 season. If he makes huge strides over the summer, who knows? But that's certainly not something that can be counted on. Right now he would seem to be around the 10th or 11th player on a team with 11 scholarship players.

26 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I'm not sure Damezi Anderson is being written off. But it is hard to see him being the answer to IU's 3-point shooting woes for the upcoming 2019-20 season. If he makes huge strides over the summer, who knows? But that's certainly not something that can be counted on. Right now he would seem to be around the 10th or 11th player on a team with 11 scholarship players.

He can be part of an answer. The game was clearly too fast for him last season. But if he can be a solid player off the bench, it would be great. 

10 hours ago, ebridges24 said:

I like the Alan Henderson comparison with TJD. If he does become an Alan Henderson, wow, that would be great.

Not s bad comparison but Henderson was a lot smoother ,better shooter and a bit bigger I believe.I keep going back to Ray Tolbert.

Anything inside the circle and it's an angry dunk  or an attempted blocked shot on D. Either way we can't go wrong.

Think we're going to like him.

Alan Henderson is/was 6'9'', same as TJD. There are definite similarities. I agree that Henderson was smoother and a better shooter. He arrived at IU with a jump shot. And, he was an excellent rebounder. I think TJD will need to be brought along a bit. He might not be ready to start until conference play. I'm older. I remember the first year Scott May played--his sophomore year. I kept thinking "why is Knight playing this guy so much?" He didn't show much until the end of the season. And, of course, the next year--1974-75- May was the best player in the country. Not saying that will be the case with TJD, but he will be a special player if he sticks with IU at least 3 years. BTW, Ray Tolbert was one of the more athletic big men to play for IU. He didn't have an outside shot, but he could out-jump anyone he played against when he was at IU.

On 5/9/2019 at 4:11 PM, MikeRoberts said:

What was our biggest deficiency on the court this past year?

How did we solve for that?

So the only possible answer is a true freshman savior or grad transfer? That's the only way we could shoot better next year? Our worst and most high volume three point shooters are gone and we are returning a few guys that shot good percentages but alright you know it all

2 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Not upset we missed Quinones though its concerning he appears to be the only option to address obvious needs at shooting guard.

OR...hope for Green to at least continue to shoot as well as he did...OR...Durham to increase his percentage even by a marginal percentage...OR both.

I agree with Aeggie’s last comment, Indiana’s highest volume three-point shooter (higher by volume by a long shot...with no pun intended...other than Indiana’s best shooter in Green) is gone. Couple that with Durham who is a good shooter and showed major improvement all around from year one to year two (and I’m betting on even more improvement from him because he’s a workhorse)...plus Phinisee who will most likely improve or hopefully at least go back to pre-concussion form, and I hope the anxiety of a lot of posters on this forum about our outside shooting woes will be reduced significantly before BigTen season begins. Who knows, maybe Demezi works tirelessly and finds himself a place in the lineup doing what he was recruited to do? Maybe Franklin improves as much as he did between his Junior and Senior years? And, maybe Deron continues to work the paint and not rely on long-range shots? And, maybe Trayce does what he did in high school and refuses to try impressing scouts with outside range that may not be there?

Now that Archie has “missed on everyone important” in some people’s eyes, may we please concentrate on the returning players and the newcomers who are by no means slouches? Just a suggestion.

And please note, Alford Bailey, this isn’t directed at you personally.

OR...hope for Green to at least continue to shoot as well as he did...OR...Durham to increase his percentage even by a marginal percentage...OR both.
I agree with Aeggie, Indiana’s highest volume three-point shooter (higher by volume by a long shot...with no pun intended...other than Indiana’s best shooter in Green) is gone. Couple that with Durham who is a good shooter and showed major improvement all around from year one to year two (and I’m betting on even more improvement from him because he’s a workhorse)...plus Phinisee who will most likely improve or hopefully at least go back to pre-concussion form, and I hope the anxiety of a lot of posters on this forum about our outside shooting woes will be reduced significantly before BigTen season begins. Who knows, maybe Demezi works tirelessly and finds himself a place in the lineup doing what he was recruited to do? Maybe Franklin improves as much as he did between his Junior and Senior years? And, maybe Deron continues to work the paint and not rely on long-range shots? And, maybe Trayce does what he did in high school and refuses to try impressing scouts with outside range that may not be there?
Now that Archie has “missed on everyone important” in some people’s eyes, may we please concentrate on the returning players and the newcomers who are by no means slouches? Just a suggestion.
And please note, Alford Bailey, this isn’t directed at you personally.

Maybe:) but you are posting in the recruiting thread

10 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Maybe:) but you are posting in the recruiting thread

Thanks for pointing that out. A somewhat fair point. Although, I was responding to the concerns of many (including myself to a much lesser degree) on the failed recruiting wins of Miller on filling a “missing piece” that I’m not completely sold is missing. Green IS a deep threat, and I hope he improves. Durham can be, and I hope he improves too. Franklin might be, and he IS a new recruit. I’m also hopeful, and quite confident, Trayce won’t be trying to prove to NBA scouts he can shoot from deep (and he IS a new recruit).

As for the lackluster three point shooting percentage from last season, I think some addition is made by some subtraction...or so I hope. My hope for that is no less irrational than the hope that a great high school shooter would have come in and impacted the percentage anymore so than the returning players who have chosen to wear the candy stripes.