Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

Indiana Academics, etc

On 5/4/2019 at 3:35 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I know conversations come up time to time about this.

From Money Magazine this month.

Indiana #19 business school

IMG_0126.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Two thoughts on this thread:

1. Spelling the word 'academics' wrong in the thread title is ironic, and has been corrected.
  2. The cited survey is the most laughable troll bait there could possibly be. You guys realize that the # 8 ranked school, San Jose State, has an incoming SAT average score of 1040?!? For last year that was the ... 47th percentile for all SAT takers nationally! Pretty sure that Harvard, Penn, and Yale Business Schools admitted students would squeeeeeeak past that number. lol

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Two thoughts on this thread:

1. Spelling the word 'academics' wrong in the thread title is ironic, and has been corrected.
  2. The cited survey is the most laughable troll bait there could possibly be. You guys realize that the # 8 ranked school, San Jose State, has an incoming SAT average score of 1040?!? For last year that was the ... 47th percentile for all SAT takers nationally! Pretty sure that Harvard, Penn, and Yale Business Schools admitted students would squeeeeeeak past that number. lol

These rankings are a joke in their overall accuracy no disputing that. They are essentially bought is the reason. But they do affect how successful a school is going forward. It affects ability to get the best applicants as well as raise donor money. 

Its clear this administration doesn’t know how to play “the game” for academics or athletics

IU continues its decades-long decline in academic standings. I think this can be attributed directly to the BOT (Board of Trustees). They are a major problem and they are making IU irrelevant academically on the national scene. IU decades ago was considered to be one of the best public universities. Thanks to the BOT's focus on quantity vs quality of students IU continues its long slide to the bottom. If you care about IU, contact the board and let them know that you are dissatisfied. 

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/41010262/two-indiana-schools-break-top-50-list-of-best-colleges

Was IU really ever considered one of the top public schools, though? I wasn't alive so I don't know. 

But honestly, who cares about the rankings. It's not Harvard, but it's a great school. I had great professors and learned a lot. You might be able to make IU a top, highly ranked school, if you go out and throw money at really smart out of state students/international students, but then IU wouldn't be IU anymore. IU's entering class had 4.6k Indiana residents from all 92 counties. 

Ranking universities/colleges is a subjective standard based on widely varying criteria; however, there are trends and general conclusions that emerge - the ones like Harvard, Yale, Stanford, MIT are really well thought of no matter what. 

As for IU? It's a solid institution (at a minimum top 150-ish) which will get you a degree that will not limit advancement. For a very few programs (the Kelley School of Business, the Jacobs School of Music) it's a degree that can truly open doors.

In my opinion? It's all good.

While it certainly helps, I truly believe that where you go to school doesn't really indicate how intelligent you are or what opportunities you will have moving forward.

Speaking strictly from the legal profession, I have worked with people that went to schools that were ranked lower than where I went that were fantastic attorneys and great legal minds. I have also worked with people that went to ivy leagues that had the same or similar job that I had and who didn't separate themselves from their peers like one might think. 

I do understand the optics of it though, but I am not really sure what any administration can do about it. Not saying something can't be done. I just don't know what can be done as it looks like IU is certainly spending money. 

You bought into your degree as an investment in both experience and perception. A decline in rankings decreases the value of that investment from a perception stand point.

People should be mad especially when all the BOT and McBooby care about is increasing revenue instead of quality.

It’s also on the state of Indiana for reducing funding allocation to public schools.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Honestly, IU basketball has come up way more during interviews that I have had than anything related to academics at IU. Most people don't seem to care about rankings. IU getting back to blue blood status in basketball would do more for an IU degree than rising a few spots in arbitrary rankings, imho. 

I don’t know, on a daily basis I run into multiple people on campus and in class who’s presence at IU is just baffling haha

I also get the impression that the University is accepting many out of state students for revenue purposes more than academic reasons. However I could be completely wrong on that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners