Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Iugradman

Was Penny good at basketball and how good are IU’s facilities

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Disagree.

While both are good basketball players, we need to get the right players and those who truly want to be at IU. If that's either of them? Great. If it's not either of them? That's fine too.

Now ... if IU misses on both Leal and Galloway, then I'd be concerned; but I doubt we will.

It is the coaches’ job to make these kids want to be at IU. This program isn’t some hypnotizing force that by just existing makes potential players fall in love with it. There are a lot of good programs out there with better facilities and a much more recent track record of success.

I'd say superstar is a bit of a stretch... He made the all-star game 4 times which puts him in the company of Shawn Marion, Paul Millsap, Latrell Sprewell, Rasheed Wallace, and about 20 players that these kids have never heard of. 
As far as navigating the path to the NBA in a way that almost no other college coach can... he was the national high school player of the year. It's not like he was struggling to get there and found a way. I'm pretty sure any coach can say, "oh, you want to get to the NBA? Just be the best player in the nation."

He only made 4 all star teams because of injuries. Those guys weren't even close to him as players. He made first team all NBA twice. He was a top 5 player in the league at his peak. He may have had a short peak, but he was a superstar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

It is the coaches’ job to make these kids want to be at IU. This program isn’t some hypnotizing force that by just existing makes potential players fall in love with it. There are a lot of good programs out there with better facilities and a much more recent track record of success.

Let’s be honest, it takes more than the coaches to sign players to be at any program. The corruption case makes it plainly clear average coaches in any of the power 5 conferences can get top players. It takes shoe $ plain and simple for the top players who regularly compete for championships. Plus, I would put our b-ball facilities against any program in the country.

1 hour ago, schoosier said:

Let’s be honest, it takes more than the coaches to sign players to be at any program. The corruption case makes it plainly clear average coaches in any of the power 5 conferences can get top players. It takes shoe $ plain and simple for the top players who regularly compete for championships. Plus, I would put our b-ball facilities against any program in the country.

You need to check out the facilities at schools like UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Oregon, and Texas A&M. IU didn’t even have a players lounge until last fall.

1 hour ago, Iugradman said:

You need to check out the facilities at schools like UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Oregon, and Texas A&M. IU didn’t even have a players lounge until last fall.

Yeah, I can't believe IU is slumming it in Cook Hall and a place with zero history like Assembly Hall.  Maybe someday we can match the history of a place like Texas A & M where recruits can look up at the balcony and see their three banners for each of their sweet sixteen appearances.  And Louisville's facilities above everyone else's that other schools probably have to hire strippers for their recruits just to keep up.

3 hours ago, Free Jurkin! said:

He only made 4 all star teams because of injuries. Those guys weren't even close to him as players. He made first team all NBA twice. He was a top 5 player in the league at his peak. He may have had a short peak, but he was a superstar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I think we simply have a different definition of superstar. That word makes me think of the greatest players in an era and I simply don’t remember him that way. To me, he’s on the same plane as a Steve Francis. He had a quick run, made some noise, and faded out. Maybe it was injury and he would’ve been a hall of famer, but we’ll never know. 

Think we're veering way of the path so I guess I'll follow....he didn't just fade out as much a lot of people remember.  At age 26 he got hurt and missed most of a season and the next year put up 16/6/5 stat line and followed that up with a 17/6/5 season.  Got hurt in his age 29 season and his age 30 season saw him put up a 12/4/4 year.

Age 28 is the season at which typically NBA players start declining.  I really don't see anything out of the ordinary in his decline.  A lot of players are basically done at age 32 and just hang around for a couple of insignificant years after that, which is what he did.  

9 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

His team beat Michael Jordan the year they went to the finals. 

Kind of a technicality  Jordan didn't play 1993-1994 or 1994-1995 until very late in that season.    They beat a team Jordan was on, but they did not beat the Jordan Bulls as we know them.    Jordan had been out of basketball for almost 2 seasons that series and played just 17 games in the 1994-1995 season.  

Nebraska has better basketball facilities than we do. We are in decent shape. But IU could do much better. We need to build a Basketball only Dormitory.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Nebraska has better basketball facilities than we do. We are in decent shape. But IU could do much better. We need to build a Basketball only Dormitory.

I realize this is off topic so I apologize in advance to those that will get their butt hurt. But I agree w/ ya FK. That’s not the only thing we need

Yeah, I can't believe IU is slumming it in Cook Hall and a place with zero history like Assembly Hall.  Maybe someday we can match the history of a place like Texas A & M where recruits can look up at the balcony and see their three banners for each of their sweet sixteen appearances.  And Louisville's facilities above everyone else's that other schools probably have to hire strippers for their recruits just to keep up.

We definitely have nostalgia and not many have that but Archie even graded our basketball facilities a C- when he came here. This was pre locker room renovation but that only moved the needle slightly.

Cool Hall is pretty nice so I was surprised to hear this but I have not seen anyone else’s stuff.