Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MisterBigRig

Samari Curtis (2019) to Nebraska

17 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I don’t think it’s fair. I’d say he hasn’t surpassed or disappointed. Archie has IU on track, or on pace, for where expectations were when hired. It’s always been a 3 year plan. If we miss the NCAA’s in year 3, then yes it’s disappointing. If we make the tournament then we are still on track. If we make a run, then we are exceeding expectations. 

Year 1, kept class together, worked on APR, wins and losses were about where everyone expected. 

Year 2, solid recruiting class that sets the foundation. Improved on wins and losses. Made a NIT run. On track. 

Year 3. He needs to improve on W-L, make NCAA’s, land another solid class of 4 year players. 

Above have been my expectations since day 1. The same expectations I had for Crean. The same I would have for any new coach at IU. 

We are not on track for success in year 3. We lost our two best players from a team that whiffed last year 

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

I don’t think it’s fair. I’d say he hasn’t surpassed or disappointed. Archie has IU on track, or on pace, for where expectations were when hired. It’s always been a 3 year plan. If we miss the NCAA’s in year 3, then yes it’s disappointing. If we make the tournament then we are still on track. If we make a run, then we are exceeding expectations. 

Year 1, kept class together, worked on APR, wins and losses were about where everyone expected. 

Year 2, solid recruiting class that sets the foundation. Improved on wins and losses. Made a NIT run. On track. 

Year 3. He needs to improve on W-L, make NCAA’s, land another solid class of 4 year players. 

Above have been my expectations since day 1. The same expectations I had for Crean. The same I would have for any new coach at IU. 

Frankly, I expected to make the tournament this past season; didn't expect to make any noise but expected to be in.

Frankly, I expected to make the tournament this past season; didn't expect to make any noise but expected to be in.

agree!

Purdue made it in and made noise with a roster that on paper didn’t match ours. Purdue far outperformed and we slightly underperformed.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

We are not on track for success in year 3. We lost our two best players from a team that whiffed last year 

Sorry but in college teams lose their “best” player all the time. Our core were freshmen and Sophs. They will now be sophs and juniors. We are on pace. I’ve said this elsewhere, look at our top 8, that’s a NCAA roster. Simple as that. Not saying we make a run, but making the dance is certainly attainable. 

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

agree!

Purdue made it in and made noise with a roster that on paper didn’t match ours. Purdue far outperformed and we slightly underperformed.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Purdue has upperclassmen leading the way. They weren’t starting 4 freshman and sophs. 

Edit: we definitely could have made it. We fell a game short.  But making it would have put us ahead of schedule. 

12 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Sorry but in college teams lose their “best” player all the time. Our core were freshmen and Sophs. They will now be sophs and juniors. We are on pace. I’ve said this elsewhere, look at our top 8, that’s a NCAA roster. Simple as that. Not saying we make a run, but making the dance is certainly attainable. 

It was last year to. Look how that turned out. 

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It was last year to. Look how that turned out. 

I did. But the expectations when Archie took over wasn’t make the dance in year 2 or be pissed. If we had made it last year then we would be ahead of schedule. Even with youth and inconsistent play from youth, we were 1 win from the NCAA’s. So the doom and gloom really is just a fan myth. Fans can create a toxic environment which makes it harder for a coach to succeed. Not sayin you are but you’ve  read what some are saying on here and other boards. So I’ll fight the fight. Next year, we miss the dance and I’m with ya. 

18 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Purdue has upperclassmen leading the way. They weren’t starting 4 freshman and sophs. 

Edit: we definitely could have made it. We fell a game short.  But making it would have put us ahead of schedule. 

The mere thought that making a friggin 68 team field could be considered "ahead of schedule" puts a foul taste in my mouth.

How about not mailing it in for nearly 2 months?  Would that be "ahead of schedule" too?

The team underachieved, I don't care how some try to spin it.

21 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

The mere thought that making a friggin 68 team field could be considered "ahead of schedule" puts a foul taste in my mouth.

How about not mailing it in for nearly 2 months?  Would that be "ahead of schedule" too?

In year 2, yes that’s ahead of schedule. Be disappointed we were close and didn’t make it. But be encouraged that so much went wrong and we were a game away. Look at the hall of game coaches who didn’t make it in year 2. Relax. 

24 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

One thing I will say is that while we lost our top scorers and a couple of good rebounders, we certainly aren't losing our best defenders.  Morgan was decent, Romeo despite being a big guard was lacking.

I feel that we were defensively on course.  I'd rather be in a position of good defense and bad offense than being mediocre at both because it's easier to focus on the problem.

10 minutes ago, Feathery said:

In year 2, yes that’s ahead of schedule. Be disappointed we were close and didn’t make it. But be encouraged that so much went wrong and we were a game away. Look at the hall of game coaches who didn’t make it in year 2. Relax. 

Tons of schools make the tourney in year 1 of a new coach. Why would year 2 be ahead of schedule 

13 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Giving consistent effort is ahead of schedule to you, got it.  With expectations that low no one could underachieve.

Would your name be McRobbie or Glass perhaps?  Because that would explain a lot.

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Tons of schools make the tourney in year 1 of a new coach. Why would year 2 be ahead of schedule 

Tons of schools have better rosters when they do too. People have overrated the IU roster bc it says Indiana on the jersey. I’m sorry but Morgan, while putting up good stats, wasn’t a leader. That roster 2 years ago wasn’t close to NCAA caliber.

Last year squad had talent but poor leadership.  Durham and Phinisee are the guys that will be the leaders, but we’re too young last year. This team hasn’t had good leadership since Yogi. 

Sure last season had enough talent, but when it’s not experienced talent, or a roster full of Duke talent, then you will have issues. Which IU did, and paid by missing by a game. 

6 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Giving consistent effort is ahead of schedule to you, got it.  With expectations that low no one could underachieve.

Would your name be McRobbie or Glass perhaps?  Because that would explain a lot.

Step out of the vacuum. When you rely on 18-19 year old freshmen and sophomores, then you will get inconsistent play. This is common to see. UK and Duke get away with it bc of overwhelming talent. That’s not the talent on IU. We have 4 year guys that need to be seasoned. That’s what we were watching happen last year, a youthful team learning, going through injury, dealing with drama. 

Not either. I’d be in favor of replacing McRobbie though. 

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Tons of schools have better rosters when they do too. People have overrated the IU roster bc it says Indiana on the jersey. I’m sorry but Morgan, while putting up good stats, wasn’t a leader. That roster 2 years ago wasn’t close to NCAA caliber.

Last year squad had talent but poor leadership.  Durham and Phinisee are the guys that will be the leaders, but we’re too young last year. This team hasn’t had good leadership since Yogi. 

Sure last season had enough talent, but when it’s not experienced talent, or a roster full of Duke talent, then you will have issues. Which IU did, and paid by missing by a game. 

We had a talented enough roster to go 12-2 to start the year but yeah didn’t have enough talent to win games that’s totally true

5 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Missed by a game because they took almost 2 months off, then failed to show up in their elimination game.  Effort is never optional, and viewing it as such is never "ahead of schedule".  Indiana will never get back if we set the bar so impossibly low that nothing is a failure.

8 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I disagree, but I can understand and appreciate your perspective. Where I differ with you is while you may have some points from a macro, 30,000 ft view, the fact is the actual, literal team under-achieved. They lost 12 of 13 and mailed it in a number of times. That wasn't "growing pains" or learning the system or building a culture. That was systemic failure of the players, coaching or imo, both. Speaking only for myself, that is a legit concern. Not that IU lost games but how they lost them. They failed the eye test. I simply don't accept that it takes 3+ seasons to get players to compete, consistently. If so, there is a major problem. My gripe isn't that the record was mediocre, it's that the play was mostly total crap and on the whole was a huge under-achievement.   

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

We had a talented enough roster to go 12-2 to start the year but yeah didn’t have enough talent to win games that’s totally true

And out of those 12 wins only 2 were against good teams, L’ville/Marquette. When we beat L’ville, I kept think my god L’ville is better but we have to hold on. Both games were in Assembly Hall where anything is possible. The rest of the games we won were against inferior competition and a buzzer beater vs Butler (mediocre Butler team)on a neutral court. Even our December Big Ten wins were against NW and PSU. Games we should have and did win. But nothing stating we are some juggernaut. 

Just now, JSHoosier said:

Missed by a game because they took almost 2 months off, then failed to show up in their elimination game.  Effort is never optional, and viewing it as such is never "ahead of schedule".  Indiana will never get back if we set the bar so impossibly low that nothing is a failure.

You gotta get over that 12 game stretch. They came back hard at the end. Whatever was going on behind closed doors got fixed by the end.