Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2020) PF/C - Dawson Garcia to Minnesota

Thing that really bugs me is how badly Archie and staff really wanted this kid.
Archie's racking his brain trying to figure out why it's so hard to get elite recruits to Indiana.

Yet Arizona, UNC, LSU, Memphis rake them in.

I think he knows.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It figures we wouldn’t get him. Which isn’t a good sign really for us. Sure we will have a really good team next season(if Smith, Al and TJD all return). He just would have really added some good depth at the 4/5 spot and gotten ready to either start alongside TJD or been a starter his sophomore year. It’s sucks. Leal will likely end up our highest ranked guy somewhere in the 90’s(going by 247 composite). The freshman next year won’t be looked on to contribute a ton but if no one else signs, Leal will have to be the one to step up the most with Green leaving. Galloway will be awhile away from contributing I think and Geronimo will be behind Smith and Hunter at the 3.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Are those “Elite” recruits? What is our definition of “Elite?” He sure doesn’t recruit like the programs I listed.

Your in the Garcia thread and those guys are comparable to Garcia so I’m not sure what your point is then

Tony Bennett just won a NC without elite recruits. We just need to stay the course. The 3 guys we just got are 3 guys that Bennett would love to have. I want to replicate programs like Virginia and Villanova and not UK, Memphis, Arizona, LSU, or anything of these other slimy @$$ schools.

Except Virginia had very good players. Villanova had very good players.
Villanovas title team in 2016 had Ryan Archidiacono(57)and Daniel Ochefu(49) in 2012, Kris Jenkins(76) and Josh Hart(79) in 2013, Phil Booth(75) and Mikal Bridges(81) in 2014 and then Jalen Brunson(22) in 2015. All those guys played 20+ mph for them too and the top 7 of the rotation.
Villanova in 2018 had Brunson, Bridges and Booth. Plus Omari Spellman(20) in 2016.
Virginia had Mamadi Diakite(32) in 2015, Kyle Guy(37), Ty Jerome(44) and DeAndre Hinter(91) in 2016. And then Braxton Key as a transfer who was #59 as a prospect(someone IU fans should be familiar with as well). So the myth that these teams were doing it with only guys who were ranked super low and just did better can be put to rest because it just isn’t how it happens. Even UConn in 2014 where they came out of nowhere had Shabazz Napier(82) in 2010, Deandre Daniels(18) and Ryan Boatright(55) in 2011. That UConn team might be the biggest outlier.

Villanovas title team in 2016 had Ryan Archidiacono(57)and Daniel Ochefu(49) in 2012, Kris Jenkins(76) and Josh Hart(79) in 2013, Phil Booth(75) and Mikal Bridges(81) in 2014 and then Jalen Brunson(22) in 2015. All those guys played 20+ mph for them too and the top 7 of the rotation.

Villanova in 2018 had Brunson, Bridges and Booth. Plus Omari Spellman(20) in 2016.

Virginia had Mamadi Diakite(32) in 2015, Kyle Guy(37), Ty Jerome(44) and DeAndre Hinter(91) in 2016. And then Braxton Key as a transfer who was #59 as a prospect(someone IU fans should be familiar with as well). So the myth that these teams were doing it with only guys who were ranked super low and just did better can be put to rest because it just isn’t how it happens. Even UConn in 2014 where they came out of nowhere had Shabazz Napier(82) in 2010, Deandre Daniels(18) and Ryan Boatright(55) in 2011. That UConn team might be the biggest outlier.

Yep, it’s guys like Garcia that stay 2-3 years that are the cornerstones for championship teams. Of course we aren’t going to fold if we don’t get him but man, having 3-4 guys on the roster at his level is a recipe for big success

I don’t know how many teams that have won without at least TWO Top 50 players playing consistently but that UConn team might be one of the few. Garcia would have been a huge get and a possible starter. Eventually we have to land multiple Top 50 kids. If Virginia can and into that system, why can’t we?

I don’t know how many teams that have won without at least TWO Top 50 players playing consistently but that UConn team might be one of the few. Garcia would have been a huge get and a possible starter. Eventually we have to land multiple Top 50 kids. If Virginia can and into that system, why can’t we?

I’m not even sure why people are debating whether he would start or get a lot of minutes... he’s on a similar level as TJD and TJD is likely our best player. He would likely be our 2nd or 3rd best player

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yep. And its no coincidence when IU has been good in the last ten years weve had 5 star centers in Zeller and Bryant.

Yep. And its no coincidence when IU has been good in the last ten years weve had 5 star centers in Zeller and Bryant.

Or even going back to a season we would have be super good with DJ White. Jared Jeffries possibly would have been a 5 star as well.

His comments could be read many ways...sure seems like wearing Minnesota on his jersey would be incredible for him...the only school he mentioned the way a team "WILL" use him is Marquette.  Either of these could be a clue, or perhaps it's just the way the words came out...or, as often happens, the journalist misquoted him.

Insiders may or may not know something.  On a recruitment that has bee tight-lipped, I wonder how far inside they managed to land.  Maybe he told them, but I doubt it. 

He mentioned it was a really tough decision.  Maybe it was tough to turn down the tradition at Indiana and let his friends down.  Maybe it was tough to turn down wearing Minnesota across his chest and representing his state.  Maybe it was tough to turn down all the handles he will have at Marquette.  Maybe the insiders know, or maybe Dawson and his family are the only ones who know.  I certainly don't know.

What I do know is I'm looking forward to this year and the pieces Archie already has in place...as well as those coming in next season.  I still hold out hope Dawson Garcia chooses Bloomington. Maybe he will, or maybe he won't...I'm not a pessimist, nor am I a complete optimist.  I believe any of the schools on his list of finalists could be the choice he's made.  None of us know with any certainty.  You know what they say about you assume something.

10 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It figures we wouldn’t get him. Which isn’t a good sign really for us. Sure we will have a really good team next season(if Smith, Al and TJD all return). He just would have really added some good depth at the 4/5 spot and gotten ready to either start alongside TJD or been a starter his sophomore year. It’s sucks. Leal will likely end up our highest ranked guy somewhere in the 90’s(going by 247 composite). The freshman next year won’t be looked on to contribute a ton but if no one else signs, Leal will have to be the one to step up the most with Green leaving. Galloway will be awhile away from contributing I think and Geronimo will be behind Smith and Hunter at the 3.

The way Galloway plays and how tough he is, he will be on the floor before Leal. IMO

If this ship has sailed (and it looks as if it has), I would love...love us to find a transfer that is NOT a play-immediately grad transfer for next year.

We will not need another big next year; we'll still likely have TJD, Race, Joey, Justin, and Jerome. If we could get a truly high-level transfer for the bench that learns the system and still has at least two years of eligibility thereafter, we would have a veteran big presence the year after next when we would otherwise be largely be relying on Race and freshmen.