Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2020) PF/C - Dawson Garcia to Minnesota

1 hour ago, Fkfootball1 said:

I’ll put it to you this way. I have a lot of family that are HUGE boosters to IU. And I really don’t have or hear a ton of “insider stuff.” IU is pretty locked up tight when it comes to info. So for recruiting, the recruit himself or his family must leak something. IU isn’t just going to disclose recruiting information. Not with an AD like Fred Glass, “Attorney at Law.” Sam is a good Hoosiers fan, but he chucks stuff at the wall to see what will stick. Easy to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

As opposed to our three point shooting, which is to chunk stuff up and see what stinks.

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

So is Sam Story all that reliable?  I see his name periodically mentioned on btb and I'm a lurker on another board that seems to think he walks on water when it comes to IU recruiting.  He tweeted this an hour ago.

Sam Story @Samueltstory

#IUBB - UNA film review done today. - Garcia gang to finally sit & talk to figure some stuff out on weekend.  DG is NOT going to MINNY or MEM.  Well sourced. - IU rotation = better athletes + more options vs. last year - Way more identity + belief. -  My summer predictions = IU

FWIW, I’ve been a member on multiple boards over the last decade+ and there have only been two “insiders” that I’ve ever put stock into. One is on this board (Chris007) and the other was, I believe, on the Scout site years ago. I think his handle was Birdman and as far as I know he hasn’t posted under that name anywhere in quite some time.

There could be others but I kind of stopped following recruiting for a time during Crean’s tenure. It was too difficult trying to follow all the players holding IU offers.

FWIW, I’ve been a member on multiple boards over the last decade+ and there have only been two “insiders” that I’ve ever put stock into. One is on this board (Chris007) and the other was, I believe, on the Scout site years ago. I think his handle was Birdman and as far as I know he hasn’t posted under that name anywhere in quite some time.
There could be others but I kind of stopped following recruiting for a time during Crean’s tenure. It was too difficult trying to follow all the players holding IU offers.

Janitorinthegym was an insider for 2 seasons. I know some say a parent of the insider ran the account. Either way, I got some good stuff from the Janitor back in the day. I believe the source was a team manager. Not 100% sure though.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Bigred3588 said:

Agree on Chris007. Who was the guy who was supposedly a recruiting insider back in the Crean days? He didnt know much. Havent seen him on here in a while.

23 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Janitorinthegym was an insider for 2 seasons. I know some say a parent of the insider ran the account. Either way, I got some good stuff from the Janitor back in the day. I believe the source was a team manager. Not 100% sure though.

He was kind of hit and miss unless you were getting stuff behind the scenes.

Jason figured out who he was. When that happened he backed off. Some of his info and beyond basketball was legit. We had instances where the Athletic office reached out to Jason to pull things until it was announced in sports other than basketball. This was during the same time we were getting press passes. At the end he was not a source.

He was kind of hit and miss unless you were getting stuff behind the scenes.

He started to like being known as an insider. That’s when he became a miss. Very common amongst “insiders”. People flock to them and they feel important. I have seen that occur many times over the years.

9 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

He started to like being known as an insider. That’s when he became a miss. Very common amongst “insiders”. People flock to them and they feel important. I have seen that occur many times over the years.

Yep. They do the same thing the national ones do. They say something. Then walk it back. So they are right either way

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

Agree on Chris007. Who was the guy who was supposedly a recruiting insider back in the Crean days? He didnt know much. Havent seen him on here in a while.

I wasn’t really on this particular board until 2-3 years ago but that doesn’t surprise me. A previous poster was correct when they said that IU is tight-lipped on recruiting matters. I was a student from 06-11’ and knew one of the team managers pretty well. Players would come by his place on a  regular basis and recruiting was something nobody was really willing to discuss.

I know of Ned and heard of his connections to IU but even if Archie or staff gave him recruiting tid bits (which I highly doubt they do) he wouldn’t be telling his buddies especially given how easily it would be to know his “buddies” are turning around and posting said info on sites. Guys like Ned would shut that down in a second knowing it would otherwise result in him being shut out. 
Personally I think all of that “insider” stuff is nonsense by people who enjoy feeling important. It’s nauseating and I’d just assume wait until a kid announces rather than get all caught up in the preliminary crap. Sometimes we as adults need to get a grip and not take our hobbies so seriously. The “insider” stuff I see over here makes sense and seems to be presented as an educated opinion where as over on HSN it’s to be treated as gospel. Any notion of challenging it or holding those “insiders” who spread BS accountable will be met with mob justice. 
I made one comment here of my opinion of Sam Story (one that many people agree with) and someone brought it over there causing a **** storm. It’s pretty pathetic imo. I’m glad this site tends to root itself reality and isn’t the soap opera that is hsn. 
This site is far and away better posters almost seems like family. Hsn is more entertaining to read sometimes because of the clown show but wouldn't post much over there

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

I know of Ned and heard of his connections to IU but even if Archie or staff gave him recruiting tid bits (which I highly doubt they do) he wouldn’t be telling his buddies especially given how easily it would be to know his “buddies” are turning around and posting said info on sites. Guys like Ned would shut that down in a second knowing it would otherwise result in him being shut out. 
Personally I think all of that “insider” stuff is nonsense by people who enjoy feeling important. It’s nauseating and I’d just assume wait until a kid announces rather than get all caught up in the preliminary crap. Sometimes we as adults need to get a grip and not take our hobbies so seriously. The “insider” stuff I see over here makes sense and seems to be presented as an educated opinion where as over on HSN it’s to be treated as gospel. Any notion of challenging it or holding those “insiders” who spread BS accountable will be met with mob justice. 
I made one comment here of my opinion of Sam Story (one that many people agree with) and someone brought it over there causing a **** storm. It’s pretty pathetic imo. I’m glad this site tends to root itself reality and isn’t the soap opera that is hsn. 

That sadly doesn’t surprise me. My best suggestion is to be appreciative of what people bring and be skeptical at the same time. Over time the insiders will stand out based on how they are posting information.

48 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

After the whole Billy Donovan debacle I quit listening to anyone over there (HSN).

People shouldn’t take “insiders” word as gospel. I enjoy hearing what they have to say and just take it with a grain of salt, what gets annoying is the fact that every single thread gets over taken by these posts about how bad they are. We get it, you don’t like it but holy cow stay somewhat on topic.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sam Story's posts be like "it's going to rain tomorrow, but if it doesn't rain tomorrow then there won't be rain. Wouldn't it be good if it rained? #Hoosiers"

....this post will self-distruct if it doesn’t rain, but if it does rain it’s because I have “the goods” - SS