Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2020) PF/C - Dawson Garcia to Minnesota

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

No surprise IU made his top 7. Marquette, Zona, NC, Kansas, Minny, Memphis were the others

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Man. 

Zona, UNC, Kanas.  The cheaters have really paid a price for their actions....LOL.

Archie really seems to want this one. This would actually be his biggest get. It’s an out of state guy that very well may end up a Burger Boy.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I kind of agree here. I like when we prioritize a kid and get him but am admiringly cautious with Garcia. Just as I like prioritizing a kid and getting him, I really don’t like when the opposite occurs.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On 9/20/2019 at 7:49 PM, 8bucks said:

I kind of agree here. I like when we prioritize a kid and get him but am admiringly cautious with Garcia. Just as I like prioritizing a kid and getting him, I really don’t like when the opposite occurs.

As we saw with Brooks- that seemed to really stall IU's recruiting momentum. When you go "all in" you stand to lose it all. Does IU even have a realistic shot at another '20 big? 

As we saw with Brooks- that seemed to really stall IU's recruiting momentum. When you go "all in" you stand to lose it all. Does IU even have a realistic shot at another '20 big? 

Don’t like the idea of going all in but like the idea of pursuing 2-4 guys. The only reason we should pursue a a one and done is if he is in our back yard and if he can push us over the edge and make us a final four contender

Losing Brooks didn't stall IU's recruiting momentum.  A horrific losing streak in Big Ten play resulting in not making the NAACP is what stalled IU's recruiting momentum. Brooks' decision to go to Kentucky was a consequence of IU's poor 2018-19 season. There's no reason not to go all in on Dawson Garcia even if the odds of landing him are well below 50%. If IU gets him it is high reward. If IU does not get Garcia, he was always going to be a tough get. Better that he is out-of-state. As the Brooks recruitment showed, losing a top in-state player is a much worse look than losing an out-of-state recruit because IU is expected to win in-state recruiting battles. Besides, IU already has received some nice commitments for 2021.

17 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Losing Brooks didn't stall IU's recruiting momentum.  A horrific losing streak in Big Ten play resulting in not making the NAACP is what stalled IU's recruiting momentum. Brooks' decision to go to Kentucky was a consequence of IU's poor 2018-19 season. There's no reason not to go all in on Dawson Garcia even if the odds of landing him are well below 50%. If IU gets him it is high reward. If IU does not get Garcia, he was always going to be a tough get. Better that he is out-of-state. As the Brooks recruitment showed, losing a top in-state player is a much worse look than losing an out-of-state recruit because IU is expected to win in-state recruiting battles. Besides, IU already has received some nice commitments for 2021.

You are probably right about the losing streak killing the Brooks recruitment, but the point still stands that going "all in" and missing isn't just the guy you lost, it's that you don't have anyone else in line to replace him. Then you scramble and start throwing out offers...at least that is my perception of what happened last spring. IU got a lot of tire-kicking but no takers. Other than Garcia is IU pursuing any other big men? 

IU seems to be the bridesmaid for a lot of these high- profile guys. 

There aren't any other guys like Dawson Garcia who IU would be recruiting if they didn't go "all in" on 
Garcia. And, there weren't other players like Brooks who we would have been recruiting in addition to Brooks. Brooks was an in-state 5-star who seemed to be leaning our way. We had no choice but to go "all in" on him. If you don't go "all in" you are not likely to land these recruits. Sometimes you are successful, other times not. Besides, all the players we pursued in the spring after Brooks declared for Kentucky were top 100 players and worthy of offers.