Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2020) PF/C - Dawson Garcia to Minnesota

Bottom line is that we won't consistently pull top talent from out of state, or even instate, until we have tournament runs. 
Or we can go the Will Wade route and start throwing bags of cash around. 

Even when we have a ton of success, it’s never a guarantee we will land the recruits we go hard after. It’s impossible for that to happen. This isn’t towards you, but that’s why I shake my head at some posters who are so negative when we miss one recruit we went hard after, but got 3 others in 2020.

We will be fine, and Archie is showing he can recruit very well. If Archie misses a lot of the in-state ‘21 and ‘22 recruits, then I can understand being more worried. However, if recent history shows, we shouldn’t be worried about in-state recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It’d be nice if we didn’t miss out on recruits at times. Like what if Josh Smith has actually came to IU? Or a name no one has heard since probably 2004... Robert Rothbart. Where they would have joined freshman DJ White, Robert Vaden, AJ Ratliff and James Hardy. As well as vets Mike Roberts, Bracey Wright, Marshall Strickland, Rod Wilmont and Pat Ewing.
Or what if Trey Lyles had stuck to his commitment and given Indiana a true post presence that season? Or if Gary Harris came to Indiana? Or Kyle Guy?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

And can you imagine if that Larry Bird kid had stuck around and played on that 1975-76 team? It wouldn't have lost a game! 

I just don’t see us getting Kaufman and Lander. The people around here that claim to know the Kaufmans say he’s a Louisville lean. And I’ve heard Lander could be heading in the same direction. Archie won’t beat Mack in recruiting. If you ever listen to a Chris Mack press conference, you’ll see why. IU was dumb to not hire him.

Bold statement Cotton.

10 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Even when we have a ton of success, it’s never a guarantee we will land the recruits we go hard after. It’s impossible for that to happen. This isn’t towards you, but that’s why I shake my head at some posters who are so negative when we miss one recruit we went hard after, but got 3 others in 2020.

I love the 2020 guys we have too, but none of them are as good as Garcia. How do you think the staff feels, do you think they're negative at all after visiting and targeting him so much only to get beat by a school like freakin' Marquette?

Garcia is damn good. He averages 27 ppg, and no offense to our current recruits, but there's not a single one of them that I look at and say "thank God we got him, because I don't know what we'd do since we lost out on Garcia." 

28 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

I just don’t see us getting Kaufman and Lander. The people around here that claim to know the Kaufmans say he’s a Louisville lean. And I’ve heard Lander could be heading in the same direction. Archie won’t beat Mack in recruiting. If you ever listen to a Chris Mack press conference, you’ll see why. IU was dumb to not hire him.

Wait is fk gradman?

32 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

I'd have to go find it, but I thought someone in the Kaufman thread posted that things around Sellersburg were positive for IU. Not doubting you, just thought I saw some conflicting info in another thread. 

EDIT: Found the post. Was more of a feeling that the poster had. He stated he felt like he was more of an Indiana kid based on living in that neck of the woods and knowing people from the area. Nothing concrete.

7 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

I'd have to go find it, but I thought someone in the Kaufman thread posted that things around Sellersburg were positive for IU. Not doubting you, just thought I saw some conflicting info in another thread. 

I think their positive for IU, L-Ville, and UK for Kaufman

I love the 2020 guys we have too, but none of them are as good as Garcia. How do you think the staff feels, do you think they're negative at all after visiting and targeting him so much only to get beat by a school like freakin' Marquette?
Garcia is damn good. He averages 27 ppg, and no offense to our current recruits, but there's not a single one of them that I look at and say "thank God we got him, because I don't know what we'd do since we lost out on Garcia." 

Great response AK. Trust me, I agree with your post, mine was just more in reference to a few posters who lose their mind on missing one recruit.

2020 was always seen as a weaker class, especially because of it being a less star studded class for Indiana recruits. A lot of solid players, but not to the level of TJD. It does absolutely suck if we lose Garcia to Marquette, especially because I felt he easily made us a top 25 team, if not top 15 with who we return. It’s one of those things that Archie did a lot of things great, but may have lost out because he connects better with Marq. staff and he would be able to be their go to player from day 1.

We could even break it down as maybe the coaching staff relationships are equal with Garcia, but Marq. really pushed that IU he might not even be a top 3 option. Marq. offers a day one commitment to making him the total focus of the offense.

48 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

100% agree. Eventually we are going to have to start landing guys like Garcia if we want to further elevate the program. I like the current mold of players Archie is targeting. Seem like hard working team guys that fill specific needs. But it would be a leap to call any of them game changers. Garcia certainly seems like a game changer. 

I’m really high on Geronimo. I think that situation will be perfect for him to develop. He’ll have time to practice against some solid players and possibly play alongside Hunter forming a great wing combo.

1 hour ago, Capt. Crimson said:

I don't think IU would have gotten Chris Mack. He chose Louisville because his wife's family lives there and wouldn't have left his alma mater otherwise.

I want to choose my words carefully but the reason IU didn't get Mack is because the mentality at IU is still 'we have to win the right away' and people who helped make the hire perceive Mack as dirty.  The reason Glass is our athletic director is because older boosters who still care and have the power think IU has to win 'clean' like Knight did. Younger boosters don't care enough because of the mediocrity.

Now I have zero idea if money was involved here and I don't think it was, but Archie is working within the parameters of recruiting clean because that is what IU administration and boosters want. Now this is not a bad thing necessarily and you can win this way as John Belein, Matt Painter and any Butler coach has done for years with clean recruiting.

It does mean though we get less top recruits and Archie has to win within the confines of being clean which is harder. It means finding lower ranked recruits and developing them or finding higher ranked guys not interested in extra benefits.

Archie has to prove he can do this. One of the reason's we have Archie here is because he was the cleanest of the coaches available (as well as the best everyone thought at the time of hire) and now he has to prove he can develop talent. I like him but jury is still out as to whether he can do this. All of this is the absolute bottom line on recruiting in general. Not so much Garcia.        

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

I want to choose my words carefully but the reason IU didn't get Mack is because the mentality at IU is still 'we have to win the right away' and people who helped make the hire perceive Mack as dirty.  The reason Glass is our athletic director is because older boosters who still care and have the power think IU has to win 'clean' like Knight did. Younger boosters don't care enough because of the mediocrity.

Now I have zero idea if money was involved here and I don't think it was, but Archie is working within the parameters of recruiting clean because that is what IU administration and boosters want. Now this is not a bad thing necessarily and you can win this way as John Belein, Matt Painter and any Butler coach has done for years with clean recruiting.

It does mean though we get less top recruits and Archie has to win within the confines of being clean which is harder. It means finding lower ranked recruits and developing them or finding higher ranked guys not interested in extra benefits.

Archie has to prove he can do this. One of the reason's we have Archie here is because he was the cleanest of the coaches available (as well as the best everyone thought at the time of hire) and now he has to prove he can develop talent. I like him but jury is still out as to whether he can do this. All of this is the absolute bottom line on recruiting in general. Not so much Garcia.        

This seems very tinfoil hat. lol. 

What I said isn't wrong.

9 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Really happy with our three recruits but they are all 6’4”-6’6” players. Need to round out the roster next year with a big and PG (big is extra crucial if TJD only stays for a year or two).

Next year we will have a junior Phinisee, a senior Durham, and a sophomore Franklin, all of whom can play point - no worries there. By 2021 we could use a point (ahem, Lander).

We are more likely to have cause to add a big next year, but not because we will need the big next year. We'll still (likely) have TJD, and will have Race and Brunk, not to mention Smith and Hunter, both of whom could spell at the four.

The need to add a big next year is because two of our three true bigs will likely be gone for 2021, and it's be nice to have at least one other than Race who has already been in the program by then.

6 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

This seems very tinfoil hat. lol. 

What I said isn't wrong.

No its piecing some things together very loosely from stuff I have heard behind the scenes (and I hardly get any behind the scenes info). And what you said is not wrong as you said.