Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2020) PF/C - Dawson Garcia to Minnesota

Whether we get him or not, I can't think of anything the staff could have done differently. And, Garcia seems to be doing what he needs to do to be certain he makes the right decision. This to me is how the recruiting process should work. From all appearances, he is a high quality kid and whatever the decision I wish him success.

I won’t fault the staff if we don’t get him but he is our last shot at an instant impact player so if we had a shot at a few more we might still be in good shape but...

We will be fine without him but a kid like this, added to the current roster is the difference between being an 8 seed that has an early exit to a 3 seed that makes a run. We’re close but need more talent

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Need USPS to weigh in, but I thought a dead period starts Sunday night.

dead period Starts Monday and ends the 14th.

Early signing period is the 13th-20th.

In my opinion the later Dawson signs the better for IU. If he signs on the 13th I think he goes to Marquette and I like IU’s chances less but if he waits until later and allows IU to come in for an in home visit I like IU’s chances

The other thing I found interesting about his Marquette visit other than what I posted last night is he didn’t announce his arrival on Twitter or Instagram. No pics yet of him in a Marquette jersey like other schools. May be nothing, but that has me semi-worried.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You just never know.

It’s great that his IU visit apparently went so well.

Marquette may have had the edge, and if his Marquette visit is awesome too? Oh well. Or, two Marquette players that aren’t getting along could have it out within earshot of his parents; you never know.

That’s some real time, first hand info there... that’s nuts they have board members that close to his visit to share that.

Seems very odd that they would share that. If they are that close, and it’s a potentially negative sign, I wouldn’t think it would be shared so eagerly

Whether we get him or not, I can't think of anything the staff could have done differently. And, Garcia seems to be doing what he needs to do to be certain he makes the right decision. This to me is how the recruiting process should work. From all appearances, he is a high quality kid and whatever the decision I wish him success.

I agree wholeheartedly but if we somehow don’t make the tournament this year some posters on here will cite this recruitment as being another monumental failure on CAM’s part and use it as “proof” that he is a gawdawful coach. Heck, they’ll say it’s proof he’s a gawsawful person!

1 hour ago, RatpigHoosier said:

I agree wholeheartedly but if we somehow don’t make the tournament this year some posters on here will cite this recruitment as being another monumental failure on CAM’s part and use it as “proof” that he is a gawdawful coach. Heck, they’ll say it’s proof he’s a gawsawful person!

I wont say all that, BUT at some point he has to win and getting players is a part of that. I'm fine with a solid season and just making the NCAA's this year, but that is the baseline and Miller needs to show he can do much better at IU going forward. No tourney? Then he should be on the hot-seat, imo. 

5 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

I won’t fault the staff if we don’t get him but he is our last shot at an instant impact player so if we had a shot at a few more we might still be in good shape but...

We will be fine without him but a kid like this, added to the current roster is the difference between being an 8 seed that has an early exit to a 3 seed that makes a run. We’re close but need more talent

Good post Mike, and I'm glad you're coaching at IU.

2 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

I wont say all that, BUT at some point he has to win and getting players is a part of that. I'm fine with a solid season and just making the NCAA's this year, but that is the baseline and Miller needs to show he can do much better at IU going forward. No tourney? Then he should be on the hot-seat, imo. 

Disagree.  One more season and I agree.   I think Indiana will make the tournament and it'll all be moot, but he's obviously trying to build for the long term; and I think he at the very least deserves the opportunity to build an experienced roster before he's judged.     Some of you are in such a "win now" mode without taking into account the factors that go into that.  Things are going in the right direction whether we get Garcia or not.  Nothing ever hinges on one player; and it's exhausting every single season when some new kid is THE MUST HAVE! or it shows something much bigger is wrong.  

As with Tom Allen and the football program...take a breath and be patient.  It's moving in a good direction.