Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2020) PF/C - Dawson Garcia to Minnesota

On 5/1/2019 at 6:33 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

We offered yesterday.  Listed at 6'11" from Prior Lake, MN.  247 lists his position as center but then ranks him as the #6 PF in the country.  His overall national rank is 29.  Plays AAU for D1 Minnesota on the adidas circuit and is a teammate of Kendall Brown and Ben Carlson.  

Rivals

ESPN

Just got done watching as much stuff as I could find on Garcia. You have to be a certain age to appreciate this comp, but that kid IS Raef LaFrentz. Body, lefty, athleticism, skill set, demeanor. It’s actually kind of eerie. One of the closest comps I’ve ever seen. Also watched a couple of interviews. Seems like a really good kid. Impressive.

Anyone else finding it hard to get excited about any recruits not from Indiana?

It really seems we can’t land who we want, particularly outside the state. Just like the Crean tenure, I’ll tune in after the first round of targets.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Anyone else finding it hard to get excited about any recruits not from Indiana?

It really seems we can’t land who we want, particularly outside the state. Just like the Crean tenure, I’ll tune in after the first round of targets.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think this will come with consistent winning on the court to cure this. If we have a solid season with a tournament birth in the NCAA, I think recruiting success will come. It’s not like we’ve missed on everyone, but we will never get everyone we want.

I think we will be right there with Garcia, and really hope we get him. If we have a solid season, recruiting will get better.

I think Archie and Ostrum will be heavily recruiting him, he’s a recruit they really want. Garcia comes from the same AAU team as Race, so you can bet he will be talking with Garcia quite a bit too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think this will come with consistent winning on the court to cure this. If we have a solid season with a tournament birth in the NCAA, I think recruiting success will come. It’s not like we’ve missed on everyone, but we will never get everyone we want.

I think we will be right there with Garcia, and really hope we get him. If we have a solid season, recruiting will get better.

I think Archie and Ostrum will be heavily recruiting him, he’s a recruit they really want. Garcia comes from the same AAU team as Race, so you can bet he will be talking with Garcia quite a bit too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Will we end up pursuing a PF/C type in the 2020 class? We’ll have Brunk (super senior), Smith (senior), Thompson (RS Junior), Hunter (RS sophomore), and Jackson-Davis (sophomore) on the front line. If he’s accepting of having a very limited role as a freshman he’ll probably see plenty of time as a sophomore.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

Will we end up pursuing a PF/C type in the 2020 class? We’ll have Brunk (super senior), Smith (senior), Thompson (RS Junior), Hunter (RS sophomore), and Jackson-Davis (sophomore) on the front line. If he’s accepting of having a very limited role as a freshman he’ll probably see plenty of time as a sophomore.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Garcia looks like 1 of those kids whose talent is such that if you have a chance to get him you just do it  even if he doesn’t perfectly fit a need. But I’ll be interested to see if Archie actively goes after a traditional low post big like Davion Bradford or someone like that. For a guy who talks a good bit about a positionless model, I think it’s pretty clear that he gravitates to traditional roles at the point and in the post. So a young low post hammer to back up Brunk for a year would seem to make sense.

Zagsblog -

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — Dawson Garcia, the Class of 2020 forward from Prior Lake (MN) and D1 Minnesota, has had a successful start to the grassroots season, helping lead D1 Minnesota to an undefeated record in Adidas Gauntlet play and capturing a gold medal representing the USA at the FIBA 3×3 U18 World Cup in Mongolia. “It was great, they brought us in for like a week just to get us prepared for all that, and we grew a tight bond, bought in to what the coach was saying, and then we also had fun with it,” Garcia said of the 3×3 experience in Mongolia. “So it was just a surreal moment when we won the gold medal.  ”With his strong play has come a boost in his recruitment as well, as Midwest schools begin to truly make the skilled 6-foot-9 forward a priority and a few blue bloods start to enter the picture as well.Garcia has hosted a bevy of schools for in-home visits in recent months, as his recruitment starts to really take shape. 

At NBPA Top 100 Camp in Charlottesville, he broke down a few of the schools who are heavily involved in his courtship.Minnesota- “I have a great relationship with [Coach] Lindsted and [Coach] Pitino especially. They came to my house and I’m gonna go on a couple unofficials here and go hang out with them a couple times, so it should be good.”Marquette– “It was a good experience, they were just saying basically that they’d bring me in and it would kind of be built around me, and I would kind of run the show and bring everyone in. When I went out there I built a great relationship with Wojo and Stan and all the staff, as well as the players since I got to hang out with them as well. ”Indiana– “They came to my house when they could do the in-home visits, and they were just showing me film on how they would use me and I really saw myself playing in that style. It was cool to see all the success that guys like me have had there.

While Garcia will clearly be a priority from the regional powers listed above, he said he has also begun to hear from the likes of Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, and Gonzaga lately, all of whom plan to evaluate him here at Top 100 Camp and also in the upcoming July evaluation periods, before potentially springing an offer.Asked about his level of interest in Kentucky, who he said is in contact “every couple weeks or so”, Garcia said: “My level of interest is high. It’s a great program, they get their guys to the league right away. Even when they came to my school and talked to me, they were like ‘Kentucky’s not for everybody,’ and that’s true. It shows that when you go to Kentucky you’ve got to love basketball or else it’s gonna be a living hell for you.”Garcia, who plans to make a decision in the fall, also said that geography will not play a part in his decision, which can only bode well for a blue blood’s chances of landing him should they decide to offer.“Geography doesn’t really affect me at all. I like the nice weather, but being from Minnesota, winter doesn’t bother me at all, four seasons doesn’t really affect me. Being far away from home or being close doesn’t really matter to me, just my relationship with the coaching staff and how comfortable I feel about that school.

247Sports - Top Performers from the NBA Top 100 Camp

It was a good week for Garcia, a standout at Prior Lake (Minn.) High. Through the first four games of camp, Garcia averaged 11.8 points and 7.8 rebounds a game. He also connected on seven of 19 three-point field goal attempts. Garcia is an offensive weapon that can score in the paint and around the basket, but also out on the perimeter. He shoots the ball with confidence and has impressive touch, especially considering his size at 6-foot-10.

Recruiting: Minnesota, Texas, Baylor, Marquette, Indiana, North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, and numerous others

Corey Evans - 

Garcia has been talked about plenty in recent months, and the priority prospect from Minnesota could easily have ended his recruitment and decided to stay in his home state. Instead, Garcia stayed patient with the process and - thanks to his standout play at the USA Basketball under-19 trials and the dearth of quality forwards in the 2020 class - his offers have only gotten bigger and better. 

Originally, programs such as Baylor, Indiana, Marquette, Minnesota, Ohio State, Purdue and Texas threw their hats into the mix. But then came June, when the bluebloods jumped into the picture. Arizona offered in May, but then came offers from Kansas and North Carolina. Texas Tech also offered, and Duke and Kentucky might be next. Whatever the case, not many have boosted their stock more in the past 30 days than Garcia.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Corey Evans - 

Garcia has been talked about plenty in recent months, and the priority prospect from Minnesota could easily have ended his recruitment and decided to stay in his home state. Instead, Garcia stayed patient with the process and - thanks to his standout play at the USA Basketball under-19 trials and the dearth of quality forwards in the 2020 class - his offers have only gotten bigger and better. 

Originally, programs such as Baylor, Indiana, Marquette, Minnesota, Ohio State, Purdue and Texas threw their hats into the mix. But then came June, when the bluebloods jumped into the picture. Arizona offered in May, but then came offers from Kansas and North Carolina. Texas Tech also offered, and Duke and Kentucky might be next. Whatever the case, not many have boosted their stock more in the past 30 days than Garcia.

"when the bluebloods jumped into the picture" blah, blah ,blah

I'm not a subscriber so I can't add any more than what's below, but at least we're still in the hunt.  Or at least it seems like we are.

Jeff Rabjohns @JeffRabjohns

5-star 2020 forward Dawson Garcia tells (link: http://Peegs.com) Peegs.com he will cut his list soon; he discusses where Indiana, UNC, Kentucky, Marquette, Baylor, Texas and other key schools stand with him as cut-down time approaches.