Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2020) PF/C - Dawson Garcia to Minnesota

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Next year we will have a junior Phinisee, a senior Durham, and a sophomore Franklin, all of whom can play point - no worries there. By 2021 we could use a point (ahem, Lander).

We are more likely to have cause to add a big next year, but not because we will need the big next year. We'll still (likely) have TJD, and will have Race and Brunk, not to mention Smith and Hunter, both of whom could spell at the four.

The need to add a big next year is because two of our three true bigs will likely be gone for 2021, and it's be nice to have at least one other than Race who has already been in the program by then.

Be nice to get a 2020 big and avoid going into 2021 only having a freshman big.

54 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I love it.   This is a 4* kid.  He plays in Minnesota and generally against kids smaller than he is and not as talented.

The point has been made that he averages 27 PPG, using that as a positive point of why we need him.   Yet we have a local kid in Luke Brown averaging 35 PPG  (and who will leave high school as the all time leading high school scorer in Indiana) who nobody wants because he "doesn't play against anybody."   

We "have to start landing kids like Garcia."   Okay...you mean like Romeo Langford or Trayce Jackson-Davis; both of whom were ranked higher?  One of whom is as big and a better player?   We HAVE "started landing" kids like this.  Did you forget?  No school gets all of them.  Especially out of state kids who want to stay closer to home.

Nobody knows what the future holds, nor what our current kids or recruits will become.  To pin the state of our program and future hopes on Dawson Garcia is a fool's errand regardless of who he chooses.   Indiana will be just fine.

Sometimes, this board really makes me laugh.   

I agree with what you are saying about IU already landing 'kids like Garcia'.  What people are trying to say -- but aren't -- is that we aren't landing all players in that range.  Few schools do.

In terms of Luke Brown, IU isn't alone in terms of being high majors who aren't actively recruiting him.  He's getting most of his attention from MAC level schools right now.  That said, he's just beginning his junior season and still has time to raise the level of program he could play at.  He did play a better level of competition in AAU this past year and Blackford added a couple of good small programs to their schedule this year.  He could certainly do himself some favors by showing well against Andrean this year -- a team that won the 2A title last year that Blackford picked up this year.

No its piecing some things together very loosely from stuff I have heard behind the scenes (and I hardly get any behind the scenes info). And what you said is not wrong as you said. 

That could be. I honestly thought he may be someone that could help us move away from squeaky clean. Archie comes from a close family. One that he kept in touch with regularly through the IU interview process. A family that probably talks often about basketball and building programs.

That family of course includes Sean Miller. No need to repeat what Sean has been doing in AZ but Archie was a key assistant and helped recruit for him at OSU. That family also indirectly includes coach Cal. A cousin perhaps but when Archie was hired there was some discussion on Cals relationship with the Miller family.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Oh, boy. Is there a way we can please head off this Luke Brown derailment avalanche now? There is a LB thread buried somewhere deep in these annals that can be resurrected. We’ve just seen every thread that his name is brought up in turn into a huge argument that doesn’t belong where it’s being played out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 hours ago, DChoosier said:

Be nice to get a 2020 big and avoid going into 2021 only having a freshman big.

Which has been the issue with recruiting for a long time. Consistently having a skilled big on the roster and god forbid we have more than one.

I'm not surprised but had still been holding out hope.  I'll have to agree with cthomas that I think I liked it better when a commitment was announced and then you scrambled to find info on the kid.

Who knows, there could be a kid that really blows up this upcoming high school season and there's always the grad transfer market.  We did get Max and Z-man who were real plusses; the jury's still out on Joey.  Fitzner just didn't live up to expectations for whatever reasons.