Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2020) PF/C - Dawson Garcia to Minnesota

16 minutes ago, Me So Hornsby said:

Lol gradman your shtick is getting so old. I’ve never met a more negative person in my life

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He's the lovable 'Eeyore' of the forum, the pebble in your shoe, the itch you just can't reach, and that little dark cloud in an otherwise sunny sky. Bothersome, sure, but I really don't mind him that much. Kinda keeps me centered.

My SWAG is that the fact that MU has recruited him the longest and the travel time to watch home games is significantly shorter there are two major factors.  We DID enter the recruitment of DG late and from all accounts had him almost ready to commit.  I also think the appeal of being a main focus on offense was a factor that favored MU.

Losing out is disappointing because it was looking sooo positive, but that's how things go. Personally, it doesn't sting nearly as much as losing a player we led for and had been in on from the very beginning.  Hopefully we can sign Lander next year (and it sure would help against UL if the NCAA did their damn job for change).

Finally, it's always the same debbie downers that cry and predict doom.  Those people are toxic to all around them and make others miserable.  Having worked a few like that, they will never be happy or satisfied and seem to revel in their own pessimism.  Don't let them affect your life.

I'll wait for Garcia to confirm it tomorrow.

Marquette is another Vanderbilt, as seen on TV, one player does not make for a winning season.  You need a good veteran, supporting cast.  I am not seeing that from the future Marquette team.

Minus Howard, this team is garbage.  Next year?

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

If this ship has sailed (and it looks as if it has), I would love...love us to find a transfer that is NOT a play-immediately grad transfer for next year.

We will not need another big next year; we'll still likely have TJD, Race, Joey, Justin, and Jerome. If we could get a truly high-level transfer for the bench that learns the system and still has at least two years of eligibility thereafter, we would have a veteran big presence the year after next when we would otherwise be largely be relying on Race and freshmen.

So you are thinking either a talented big that got buried, a kid that blew up and now belongs on a bigger stage or a kid whose coach has changed. 

Sounds good to me. 

3 minutes ago, Hollywood Mike Miranda said:

Instead of eating crow for any one particular negative hot take, how about you only post positive, encouraging comments for a week or so? That's really all I want for Christmas this year :)

I'm not sure if this was meant for Iugradman or if it was sarcasm towards my positive outlook...?

Not that I need to justify myself or my words, but...I like to pay attention to the brighter sides of life, and to not become overly negative when pondering a college basketball team or decisions made by teenagers, both of which I have no control over.  I firmly believe life is a far more pleasant experience when approached in this manner.  To each his/her own.

And my comment to Iugradman was probably inaccurate.  I was assuming he mean't if he's wrong that Garcia goes elsewhere, which it appears most believe this is the case (and therefore there would be plenty to help him eat the crow), but I misspoke if he was referring to eating crow if he's wrong about all his other doom's day predictions (in which case, most do not share his negativity).

Not one take from anyone on here about a 5 star kid being on the Adidas circuit picking the Adidas school over the Nike school. I thought these 5 star recruitments were shoe affiliate driven.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Kind of surprising to be honest this hasn’t come up.

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So you are thinking either a talented big that got buried, a kid that blew up and now belongs on a bigger stage or a kid whose coach has changed. 

Sounds good to me. 

Or a reclass (No, I don't have any Kaufman information...lol)

Or a foreign player ala Franz Wagner at Michigan

14 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Or a foreign player ala Franz Wagner at Michigan

His this board finally warmed up to this idea?  Just a couple years ago any foreign player was described as a project on here.

2 hours ago, Iugradman said:

After every Archie recruiting miss we are told that the program will be fine. Not buying that for a second. It is never good to miss out on a player of Garcia’s caliber. IU will never win a title if it doesn’t consistently land players of his ability.

Not convinced this is over yet. Lets not discuss titles when we cant make a tournament.

11 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Or even going back to a season we would have be super good with DJ White. Jared Jeffries possibly would have been a 5 star as well.

Jeffries was highly touted and the "talent" of that team that went to the championship game. We are usually good when we have talented bigs. The exception being Vonleh.