Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Cheaney40

Recruiting Violations

2 hours ago, LIHoosier said:

If anyone wants to do research, I'm curious if/what other schools self report to give the charade of compliance and trustworthiness.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My guess is absolutely nothing. And when the NCAA comes calling they say, "See you in court."

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I don't want to get down in the gutter with a lot of the schools but I'm also not into a "holier than thou" state of mind.

I agree. Integrity isn't graded on a curve, so I can admire IU's zeal to adhere to every. single. rule. ever. But clawing back pocket change from some girl is embarrassing. Louisville very possibly was running a human sex trafficking operation out of their school presidents basement while Duke is handing out dirty heroin needles like party favors and Calipari is selling national security secrets to the North Koreans and NO ONE CARES. There has to be some kind of context here.  Real crimes are an afterthought and IU is worried about minutiae. Very discouraging. 

10 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I agree. Integrity isn't graded on a curve, so I can admire IU's zeal to adhere to every. single. rule. ever. But clawing back pocket change from some girl is embarrassing. Louisville very possibly was running a human sex trafficking operation out of their school presidents basement while Duke is handing out dirty heroin needles like party favors and Calipari is selling national security secrets to the North Koreans and NO ONE CARES. There has to be some kind of context here.  Real crimes are an afterthought and IU is worried about minutiae. Very discouraging. 

Please tell me bumper stickers were not involved!!!

Honestly you start looking around and you see a lot of programs in the 10-15 secondary violations per year. The key difference is what those violations are. Almost every school has listed the impermissible contact. That is the typical one and then it ends. You don’t see $1.15 for gas, or things like that. Pretty excessive imo on our end. If that directive came from Glass, he needs to learn to be a defense attorney and less of a prosecutor.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

My guess is absolutely nothing. And when the NCAA comes calling they say, "See you in court."

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Honestly you start looking around and you see a lot of programs in the 10-15 secondary violations per year. The key difference is what those violations are. Almost every school has listed the impermissible contact. That is the typical one and then it ends. You don’t see $1.15 for gas, or things like that. Pretty excessive imo on our end. If that directive came from Glass, he needs to learn to be a defense attorney and less of a prosecutor.

I just got home and did a quick search and this is an example of self reporting Auburn did last year. They've got a house full of coke in hiding while they're donating back old prescription pills.

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2018/02/auburn_self_reports_uf_money.html

11 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This really just shows exactly what Snow was talking about in his interview recently.

It’s remarkable. Sure doesn’t boost my confidence in the AD.

This is on Glass! If this is how we choose to manage while all others don’t abide by **** — goodby competitive athletics.  We should just make them all intramural and drop out of the B1G like University of Chicago - back in the day!

I just got home and did a quick search and this is an example of self reporting Auburn did last year. They've got a house full of coke in hiding while they're donating back old prescription pills.
https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2018/02/auburn_self_reports_uf_money.html

Yeah I had saw Virginia Tech, UK, Alabama, and UNC (football only). Ours is very excessive.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 hours ago, Deserthoozier said:

This is on Glass! If this is how we choose to manage while all others don’t abide by **** — goodby competitive athletics.  We should just make them all intramural and drop out of the B1G like University of Chicago - back in the day!

Oh pleeeeaaase! SMH

8 hours ago, Deserthoozier said:

It doesn't help when you have a president who abhors athletics. A fish rots from the head down.

It doesn't help when you have a president who abhors athletics. A fish rots from the head down.

What have you seen/heard that suggests he abhors sports? I know Myles Brand made comments about not wanting sports to be bigger than the university or something like that but was not sure if McRobbie said anything specific that he did not like sports. I always felt he was more ambivalent towards sports than against them.

27 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

What have you seen/heard that suggests he abhors sports? I know Myles Brand made comments about not wanting sports to be bigger than the university or something like that but was not sure if McRobbie said anything specific that he did not like sports. I always felt he was more ambivalent towards sports than against them.

I thought Rabjohns  had written articles showing how we were diverting a lot of $$$ away from sports based on what we are bringing in. He compared McRobbie to the Purdue president and there was a clear difference in philosophies to build successful sports programs.  One showed a greater commmitment than the other. Yes, we have improved some facilities but there is no bigger gap than looking at the salary of our football coach to the rest of the BIG and P5 teams in the country. 

4 hours ago, 8bucks said:

He took $28 million in BTN money that was supposed to go to our athletic department and used it to build the Global and International Studies building.

He took $28 million in BTN money that was supposed to go to our athletic department and used it to build the Global and International Studies building.

I'm under the understanding that some of the moneys received from BTN was to go toward the general University fund. If I recall that is one of the big reasons Maryland was drawn to the B1G. I may be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

I thought Rabjohns  had written articles showing how we were diverting a lot of $$$ away from sports based on what we are bringing in. He compared McRobbie to the Purdue president and there was a clear difference in philosophies to build successful sports programs.  One showed a greater commmitment than the other. Yes, we have improved some facilities but there is no bigger gap than looking at the salary of our football coach to the rest of the BIG and P5 teams in the country. 

I've heard Rabjohns and several others make comments that it is known that Glass has to fight for everything the athletic department gets. That's why I'm not quite as hard on Glass as some others.

I just recently heard someone (maybe Rabjohns, but I don't remember for sure) say that Glass has been able to take our facilities from the '80's to the 2000's, but we are still far from the best facilities in the B1G because administration doesn't value athletics in general, and don't have any real foresight into the effects of neglecting it.

5 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I've heard Rabjohns and several others make comments that it is known that Glass has to fight for everything the athletic department gets. That's why I'm not quite as hard on Glass as some others.

I just recently heard someone (maybe Rabjohns, but I don't remember for sure) say that Glass has been able to take our facilities from the '80's to the 2000's, but we are still far from the best facilities in the B1G because administration doesn't value athletics in general, and don't have any real foresight into the effects of neglecting it.

They don’t seem to value academics either which begs the question why they still have jobs. 

They don’t seem to value academics either which begs the question why they still have jobs. 

Is there an easy way to see how different areas at IU have been ranked over the last decade? Individually I can look to some extent but it would be good to see an overall view.

For example, when I graduated in 95 our Accounting department/degree ranked #2 nationally and according to USNews we are #6 now.

3 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Is there an easy way to see how different areas at IU have been ranked over the last decade? Individually I can look to some extent but it would be good to see an overall view.

For example, when I graduated in 95 our Accounting department/degree ranked #2 nationally and according to USNews we are #6 now.

You'll probably need a subscription, but I'm sure US News, Princeton Review and the like have archival data for most categories/schools.

https://collegead.com/the-advantages-to-self-reporting-violations-are-abundant/

These reports are filed all of the time.  One of the secondary violations listed here was when Alabama temporarily moved a trophy where recruits would see it, a laughable violation of 'impermissible recruiting decoration of an area'.

Meh, better off to report the little stuff.  Makes the NCAA look bad rather than the school IMO to hear that schools have to ask recruits for $1.15.  Drown the NCAA in paperwork on the small stuff I say, because they sure as hell aren't wasting time on the big stuff.