Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

The optics look bad to a bunch of people who don't know anything. I'm not taking a shot at anyone in particular, but nobody on this board really knows how these recruits are performing in terms of rising and falling throughout the year until these lists come out, other than some random anecdotes we hear from the Evan Daniels and Brian Snows of the world. It looked desperate to you and others because you were putting stock into static recruiting rankings. You looked at Morton as top 50 and Cross outside the top 200, but Archie and his staff are obviously constantly evaluating potential players. By the time they offered Cross and Morton committed to Purdue, their evaluations had gone in completely different directions.  

Also, I'm not saying that we should put full faith in recruiting rankings, but Cross is ranked significantly higher than Leal or Galloway. Why would Archie prioritize those guys and then see if he can find a fit for the best player of the 3?

You’re literally making stuff up to fit your narrative. Cross has nothing to do with Archie missing out on Morton nor is Cross ranked significantly higher than Leal. Only one recruiting service has improved their ranking of him and no one can honestly argue they know how/why 247 arrived at that ranking. Galloway’s stock is on the rise and I expect his ranking will improve accordingly. And no, I don’t agree that Cross is better than Leal or Galloway. If your opinion is we need 6’6 power forwards with no outside shot or athleticism for 2020 then by all means go all in for Cross. I’ll keep my expectations firmly planted where they are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

You’re literally making stuff up to fit your narrative. Cross has nothing to do with Archie missing out on Morton nor is Cross ranked significantly higher than Leal. Only one recruiting service has improved their ranking of him and no one can honestly argue they know how/why 247 arrived at that ranking. Galloway’s stock is on the rise and I expect his ranking will improve accordingly. And no, I don’t agree that Cross is better than Leal or Galloway. If your opinion is we need 6’6 power forwards with no outside shot or athleticism for 2020 then by all means go all in for Cross. I’ll keep my expectations firmly planted where they are. 

I could be wrong about IU considering Cross a higher priority than Morton, but I'm going to guess that the rest of the scouting community does too. The fact that Morton was sliding was not a secret as he was struggling in AAU for the second straight year. 

Cross is not a slow footed power forward. He stretches the floor and moves reasonably well. He's also not a bad shooter. His 3 point stats may not be great, but scouts consider him a bad shooter. Poor percentages based on playing on a terrible team make sense. He took more than 2x the number of shots of anybody else on the team, so he doesn't have much help. His free throw shooting is very good. The 247 scouts did not watch spring ball and decide, "well, he's too short for his position, but he also can't shoot or jump, so let's push him way up the rankings". He was elevated for a reason.

Have you seen any of these guys play, outside of a few Youtube highlights? It's entirely possible that Leal and Galloway are better than Cross. I hope they shoot up the recruiting rankings and come to Indiana. But it seems pretty likely that Cross is very good either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nah. You all have access to the Summerball Talent Rating and Observation Metric (the S.T.R.O.M.), which accurately predicted both the rise of Cross and the fall of Morton. 

Agree. It’s pretty easy to predict these if you follow the stats and tweets and Offers/interest.

Most of the players are good enough to have a good highlight video.

Live game action and stats across a range are the best predictors.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, tortex28 said:

Not a good sign wanting bigger fish than Indiana

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
 

Might not be as bad as some think. Development of chemistry with Terrence Clarke might just benefit us. Clarke has made several visits to Bloomington on his own dime. I believe that there is positive interest there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Might not be as bad as some think. Development of chemistry with Terrence Clarke might just benefit us. Clarke has made several visits to Bloomington on his own dime. I believe that there is positive interest there.
Recent Trends are not good though look at Brandon Newman and keion Brooks Jr. We got to do a whole lot of winning before we can land the big fish and compete with the Dukes and Kentucky's of the world. A whole lot of winning.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, tortex28 said:

Recent Trends are not good though look at Brandon Newman and keion Brooks Jr. We got to do a whole lot of winning before we can land the big fish and compete with the Dukes and Kentucky's of the world. A whole lot of winning.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
 

You’re not wrong. IU needs to win to compete with the big fish of college basketball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Trends are not good though look at Brandon Newman and keion Brooks Jr. We got to do a whole lot of winning before we can land the big fish and compete with the Dukes and Kentucky's of the world. A whole lot of winning.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk


I get KBJ, but my understanding is that we offered Franklin and Newman and AF bit. Someone with more knowledge of the situation will correct me if I’m wrong but that’s how I remember it.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Trends are not good though look at Brandon Newman and keion Brooks Jr. We got to do a whole lot of winning before we can land the big fish and compete with the Dukes and Kentucky's of the world. A whole lot of winning.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk


Newman never played one game for a prep school. He went back to Valparaiso before the start of the high school season


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 8:33 PM, Free Jurkin! said:

I could be wrong about IU considering Cross a higher priority than Morton, but I'm going to guess that the rest of the scouting community does too. The fact that Morton was sliding was not a secret as he was struggling in AAU for the second straight year. 

Cross is not a slow footed power forward. He stretches the floor and moves reasonably well. He's also not a bad shooter. His 3 point stats may not be great, but scouts consider him a bad shooter. Poor percentages based on playing on a terrible team make sense. He took more than 2x the number of shots of anybody else on the team, so he doesn't have much help. His free throw shooting is very good. The 247 scouts did not watch spring ball and decide, "well, he's too short for his position, but he also can't shoot or jump, so let's push him way up the rankings". He was elevated for a reason.

Have you seen any of these guys play, outside of a few Youtube highlights? It's entirely possible that Leal and Galloway are better than Cross. I hope they shoot up the recruiting rankings and come to Indiana. But it seems pretty likely that Cross is very good either way.

Haven't been, and still not enamoured with Leal. Galloway yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The whole Brooks deal was his father convincing him Cal will get him to show. All about the dinero.

It could be but I am still convinced we were in a really good spot until we had our terrible mid season losing streak. That opened the door for Cal to come closer.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 8bucks said:


It could be but I am still convinced we were in a really good spot until we had our terrible mid season losing streak. That opened the door for Cal to come closer.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think that might have been a bit of it. But let’s be honest. Cal whiffed on like 3 guys had he landed any of them doubtful he would go as hard on Brooks. 

Crean screwing us over by getting his highest ranked recruit ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MoyeNeeded said:

The whole Brooks deal was his father convincing him Cal will get him to show. All about the dinero.

Wonder how they think that is working out for them now?! By my unofficial count Cal has recruited 37 other wings since Brooks committed.  My response?

 1619640140_Haha.PNG.c227989246a2c0e79df36cfefa5a0d48.PNG

 

Sure it's petty, but I don't want ANYONE to succeed at Kentucky. Made your slimy choice, now stew in it Keion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know where I can get a good used flux capacitor? It’s the final piece I need for my time machine. When it’s done and mass produced I know of several people who may want one. I’m thinking Keion would consider investing in one.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×