Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) PF Matt Cross to Miami

7 hours ago, HoosierRobbie said:

So much for optimism lol.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Blind optimism won’t benefit anyone. I know the 2020 class was never going to be “epic” but I would have thought our staff would be focusing more on guys who fill actual needs like Caleb Love, securing Leal’s committment and if we have room find potential diamond in the rough like this kid. Losing out on our top target in Morton to our arch rival then taking a kid outside the top 200 sends a negative message to potential recruits, imo. Looks desperate 

15 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Blind optimism won’t benefit anyone. I know the 2020 class was never going to be “epic” but I would have thought our staff would be focusing more on guys who fill actual needs like Caleb Love, securing Leal’s committment and if we have room find potential diamond in the rough like this kid. Losing out on our top target in Morton to our arch rival then taking a kid outside the top 200 sends a negative message to potential recruits, imo. Looks desperate 

Perhaps the staff is doing just that?  They are after Love and Leal, correct?

Desperation doesn’t occur until after these kids senior year. Summer before Senior year they would legit feel they can help at some point.

41 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Desperation doesn’t occur until after these kids senior year. Summer before Senior year they would legit feel they can help at some point.

I hope you’re right. My thought is we can take a kid like this anytime so if he wants to commit in the summer, good for him but it shouldn’t be here. 

55 minutes ago, InArchWeTrust said:

Perhaps the staff is doing just that?  They are after Love and Leal, correct?

Guess it depends on what (if anything) we do to close out 2019, which will dictate how much room we have in 2020. If we fill the last two spots with anyone but grad transfers then we can only take two in 2020.

19 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sure, so take it for what you want. A couple weeks ago you said Archie offering this kid made him look desperate. Now that he's a top 100 kid do you still think so?

I said the optics of losing out on a kid who was supposedly his top target to Purdue of all schools, then to move in on a kid who’s ranked out of the top 200 and doesn’t fill any current need looks desperate,...and I stand by that. Just because one ranking site all the sudden thinks this kid is a top 100 talent based presumably on the fact that he’s the best player on an awful AAU team doesn’t change my statement then, nor does it impact my opinion now. I’m sure Cross is a heck of a kid and could be a solid four year role player at IU but with only two guaranteed open scholarships, coupled with the fact that this kid says he wants to commit before the start the of season, I would think Archie would be going full court press on Love, Leal and/or Galloway. As I stated before, my opinion is we should focus on Love and Leal and if we have room for a kid like Cross take him down the road. 

1 hour ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

I said the optics of losing out on a kid who was supposedly his top target to Purdue of all schools, then to move in on a kid who’s ranked out of the top 200 and doesn’t fill any current need looks desperate,...and I stand by that. Just because one ranking site all the sudden thinks this kid is a top 100 talent based presumably on the fact that he’s the best player on an awful AAU team doesn’t change my statement then, nor does it impact my opinion now. I’m sure Cross is a heck of a kid and could be a solid four year role player at IU but with only two guaranteed open scholarships, coupled with the fact that this kid says he wants to commit before the start the of season, I would think Archie would be going full court press on Love, Leal and/or Galloway. As I stated before, my opinion is we should focus on Love and Leal and if we have room for a kid like Cross take him down the road. 

Why should we go full court press on Leal and Galloway over Cross? I don't know why Cross shot up the rankings, but given that the people putting together these lists do it for a living, I'm guessing there's more to it than being "the best player on a crappy AAU team".

Your opinion before was based off his ranking, but now that his ranking has improved 100+ spots, it doesn't mean much? Why not? This isn't Archie pulling a Crean and offering a Tim Priller type of player. Cross is a solid player who brings some of the personality traits, such as toughness, that we've been wanting in IU basketball players. Rankings aren't everything, and just because he's top 100 now doesn't guarantee he's going to be a good college player, but it does show that he's not a recruit Archie is reaching for because he's getting desperate. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Why should we go full court press on Leal and Galloway? I don't know why Cross shot up the rankings, but given that the people putting together these lists do it for a leaving, I'm guessing there's more to it than being "the best player on a crappy AAU team".

Your opinion before was based off his ranking, but now that his ranking has improved 100+ spots, it doesn't mean much? Why not? This isn't Archie pulling a Crean and offering a Tim Priller type of player. Cross is a solid player who brings some of the personality traits, such as toughness, that we've been wanting in IU basketball players. Rankings aren't everything, and just because he's top 100 now doesn't guarantee he's going to be a good college player, but it does show that he's not a recruit Archie is reaching for because he's getting desperate. 

My opinion of Cross was based on his attributes (position, size, athletic ability, outside shot). My only comment on the ranking was the optics of such after having just been rejected by Morton. I couldn’t care less where he’s ranked. We need guards who can shoot and distribute. This guy wont see the floor until his junior year if ever...assuming he even comes to IU. “Rankings aren’t everything” but his recent rise in 247’s rankings were literally your only argument as to why you disagreed with my original post. As it stands he’a in Syracuse, UConn and Boston College’s backyard and doesn’t have an offer from any of em. Boy I sure hope Archie can find a way to out recruit UMass and Penn St. FOH...