Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

IU Baseball vs. Minnesota: Massive Series

They just interviewed John Anderson who is the Minnesota coach. He is far and way the best coach in the conference in my mind. He's also the only one who has survived and done well as team's like IU started taking baseball seriously. The Big Ten deciding to step up its level of competition ate up previously successful older coaches like Rich Maloney at Michigan, Doug Schrieber at PU, its eaten up Jake Boss Jr at MSU who needs to go as well as Bob Todd at OSU.

However, Anderson has kept right on going through all of it with a strong program at Minny well into his older age in his 60's. Mad respect for him.

Saalfrank done after almost 100 pitches and 5 and 2/3 innings. Not his best day but battled well and has a runner at 3rd 2 outs he is responsible for after a double play erased what looked like it could be a huge inning. Manous in.

They just interviewed John Anderson who is the Minnesota coach. He is far and way the best coach in the conference in my mind. He's also the only one who has survived and done well as team's like IU started taking baseball seriously. The Big Ten deciding to step up its level of competition ate up previously successful older coaches like Rich Maloney at Michigan, Doug Schrieber at PU, its eaten up Jake Boss Jr at MSU who needs to go as well as Bob Todd at OSU.
However, Anderson has kept right on going through all of it with a strong program at Minny well into his older age in his 60's. Mad respect for him.

Great interview with Mercer the inning before too. I can see why recruits would gravitate to him and the staff. I think we have a good one that could be here for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

Great interview with Mercer the inning before too. I can see why recruits would gravitate to him and the staff. I think we have a good one that could be here for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Completely agree. Sounds like he's trying to change some of the bad habits Lemonis developed in the players which is why team is maddeningly inconsistent right now. Its also why the player development that was non-existent for the most part under Lemonis is a lot better this year and the future looks brighter because of it.

IU wins 7-1

This is by far the best we've looked against a decent team since the Evansville series when we won the first 2 pretty easy. Also important to do this and show up well on National TV. As I said IU played like it should today with small ball, much better approach at plate and clean defense while Minny was sloppy as heck. I never expected to sweep Minny given their talent and no one has swept them this year. The first 2 days showed how dangerous Minny can be with its talent despite a mediocre record. Today showed why Minny has that mediocre record as they have a pretty bad Sunday starter and are incredibly sloppy.

This also clinches our 9th straight 30 win season and 11th in 12 years (we only barely missed with a winning record of 28-27 in 2010). If you had told me 12 years ago this is where IU baseball would be 12 years later I would of told you that you were smoking something pretty potent but here we are.  

If today's game is the norm the rest of the season look out. Huge stretch coming up at Illinois and Michigan. These teams are not more talented than Minnesota but are a lot cleaner and posses 3 quality starters instead of 2. The key is going to be Milto and Gordon pitching like they have all year and not getting banged around like they did this weekend. 

I am planning to be at game Friday in Champaign so can write a good recap but no in game posts. I am busy Saturday all together but should be back on board next Sunday during game (basically a repeat of this weekend).  

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

IU wins 7-1

This is by far the best we've looked against a decent team since the Evansville series when we won the first 2 pretty easy. Also important to do this and show up well on National TV. As I said IU played like it should today with small ball, much better approach at plate and clean defense while Minny was sloppy as heck. I never expected to sweep Minny given their talent and no one has swept them this year. The first 2 days showed how dangerous Minny can be with its talent despite a mediocre record. Today showed why Minny has that mediocre record as they have a pretty bad Sunday starter and are incredibly sloppy.

This also clinches our 9th straight 30 win season and 11th in 12 years (we only barely missed with a winning record of 28-27 in 2010). If you had told me 12 years ago this is where IU baseball would be 12 years later I would of told you that you were smoking something pretty potent but here we are.  

If today's game is the norm the rest of the season look out. Huge stretch coming up at Illinois and Michigan. These teams are not more talented than Minnesota but are a lot cleaner and posses 3 quality starters instead of 2. The key is going to be Milto and Gordon pitching like they have all year and not getting banged around like they did this weekend. 

I am planning to be at game Friday in Champaign so can write a good recap but no in game posts. I am busy Saturday all together but should be back on board next Sunday during game (basically a repeat of this weekend).  

I'll be there Fri too... saturday as well. Heard they might be selling beer.. which would be fantastic. 

On 4/27/2019 at 7:06 PM, btownqb said:

Btw.. I just talked to iubase.com on twitter...  Chris Feeny is the guy in the black that grabbed that HR ball lol 

Actually if you watch the video closely Feeney was the one in black. He was indeed out there celebrating but it was whoever the other kid was in red who actually caught it after barely beating Feeney to it by dive rolling and than running off with ball. 

23 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Actually if you watch the video closely Feeney was the one in black. He was indeed out there celebrating but it was whoever the other kid was in red who actually caught it after barely beating Feeney to it by dive rolling and than running off with ball. 

Yeah for some reason I thought he was the one that had it. Lol

Ok we almost locked ourselves into the tourney this weekend. According to the website 'Boyd's World' which projects RPI for the rest of the year, 3-8 will lock us into the tourney. I would not chance it but we are almost certainly in with that low bar. 6-5 gets us a 2 seed. Now to host we need to finish probably 9-2 and add a few games in Big Ten Tourney. This means taking 2 of 3 from Illinois, 2 of 3 from Michigan and Sweeping Rutgers along with winning at UK and beating Louisville. 8-3 may do it but only if we win Big Ten tourney.

In other words we are sitting pretty to make postseason (and probably head close by to Louisville, Vandy, Tennessee or West Virginia) but have a lot of work to do to host. Louisville would be interesting to go to as a lot of IU fans came to that in 09 and that was right before the program really took off. I have to assume we would draw even better now given how much more followed program is and also instead of playing Louisville in first game we would play the 3 seed which is even better.

As for winning the Big Ten title probably winning the rest of our series would do the trick given who we play. This is also a tall order, but unlike Minnesota who we have struggled with recently, we have done reasonably well against Illinois and especially Michigan, even taking a series in Ann Arbor a couple year ago.

Update: IU moved up in the polls this week and remains in top 25.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

My wife and I have been wanting to take our daughter to the aquarium in Louisville if we play there and the start time works will definitely try and make a family day with the trip. 

Actually the aquarium is in Newport Kentucky which is in the Cincinnati area on the Kentucky side.

With that said the Louisville zoo is awesome as is the Slugger Museum, Churchill Downs Museum, Science Center and the Mega Caverns. All of these are a lot of fun and certainly something a kid would enjoy if you make the trip. Definitely worth it. Louisville is a cool city.