Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

IU Baseball vs. Minnesota: Massive Series

Here we go. IU is about to see what they are made of.

The rest of our schedule is really difficult with Minny this weekend followed by road trips to fellow contenders Illinois and Michigan sandwiched between games against highly ranked UK and Louisville. People forget but the year we went to college world series we were in about the same position with a tough schedule down the stretch and won every series to take the conference crown, host the regional and end up in College World Series. Last year when we were in same position we semi folded and ended up finishing 5th and making tournament and playing elsewhere.

One of those 2 things will happen this year and hopefully its door number 1 this time. We may not host a regional as we probably need to sweep Minny, Rutgers, Louisville and UK and take series at Illinois and Michigan. However, to win the conference, winning every series down the stretch may be enough. The other piece of good news is if we are traveling for NCAA tournament there are plenty of close options this year so as a high 2 seed we should not be going far (the reason we traveled to Texas last year is no one close hosted). This year Tennessee, Vandy, Louisville and maybe Creighton or West Virginia are all in position to host. If we finish this out as a high 2 seed we are likely to end up at one of those places if we are not hosting. Also as a 2 seed we would open with the 3 seed and not one of those elite hosts which is good.  

For this weekend Minnesota's numbers are deceiving. They are not great but they are underachieving and extremely talented. As a result we have to be ready as the Gophers would love nothing more than to beat us as the best team in conference so far to get their season back on track. Their Friday ace Max Meyer has a 1.93 ERA (and started year as closer) so we have a heavyweight match up with him vs. Milto and runs will be at a premium so can't make any mistakes. The rest of Minny's starters are talented but with bad ERA's so we will have to be ready all 3 days. Like PSU I expect every game to come down to end and hopefully we can at least take the series but a sweep would be ideal. There is nothing more dangerous then an under achieving talented team like these Gophers so should be an interesting weekend at the Bart. Weather tonight looks absolutely picture perfect so expecting a Friday Night Sellout at the Bart as is typical. Saturday has a bit of rain in forecast but not to bad so fully expecting all 3 games to get in this weekend with no problem.

I will be at game today and tomorrow so can't post updates (I will also most likely be at Friday Illinois game and Saturday Michigan games as well weather permitting) but will be on the board Sunday with my thoughts. I have firmly hitched my wagon to this team and hopefully they carry all of us IU baseball followers right over the finish line which starts this weekend.   

55 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Here we go. IU is about to see what they are made of.

The rest of our schedule is really difficult with Minny this weekend followed by road trips to fellow contenders Illinois and Michigan sandwiched between games against highly ranked UK and Louisville. People forget but the year we went to college world series we were in about the same position with a tough schedule down the stretch and won every series to take the conference crown, host the regional and end up in College World Series. Last year when we were in same position we semi folded and ended up finishing 5th and making tournament and playing elsewhere.

One of those 2 things will happen this year and hopefully its door number 1 this time. We may not host a regional as we probably need to sweep Minny, Rutgers, Louisville and UK and take series at Illinois and Michigan. However, to win the conference, winning every series down the stretch may be enough. The other piece of good news is if we are traveling for NCAA tournament there are plenty of close options this year so as a high 2 seed we should not be going far (the reason we traveled to Texas last year is no one close hosted). This year Tennessee, Vandy, Louisville and maybe Creighton or West Virginia are all in position to host. If we finish this out as a high 2 seed we are likely to end up at one of those places if we are not hosting. Also as a 2 seed we would open with the 3 seed and not one of those elite hosts which is good.  

For this weekend Minnesota's numbers are deceiving. They are not great but they are underachieving and extremely talented. As a result we have to be ready as the Gophers would love nothing more than to beat us as the best team in conference so far to get their season back on track. Their Friday ace Max Meyer has a 1.93 ERA (and started year as closer) so we have a heavyweight match up with him vs. Milto and runs will be at a premium so can't make any mistakes. The rest of Minny's starters are talented but with bad ERA's so we will have to be ready all 3 days. Like PSU I expect every game to come down to end and hopefully we can at least take the series but a sweep would be ideal. There is nothing more dangerous then an under achieving talented team like these Gophers so should be an interesting weekend at the Bart. Weather tonight looks absolutely picture perfect so expecting a Friday Night Sellout at the Bart as is typical. Saturday has a bit of rain in forecast but not to bad so fully expecting all 3 games to get in this weekend with no problem.

I will be at game today and tomorrow so can't post updates (I will also most likely be at Friday Illinois game and Saturday Michigan games as well weather permitting) but will be on the board Sunday with my thoughts. I have firmly hitched my wagon to this team and hopefully they carry all of us IU baseball followers right over the finish line which starts this weekend.   

I am pretty sure I am going tonight. Tomorrows start time will need to be moved up to 11am or noon. I will also be heading over to UI next week for the Friday night game, stay in a hotel, and then go to the Sat match up, as well. 

I'm not coaching AAU basketball this year, so as long as our regional match site (hoping it's in Bloomington) is within 14 hours lol... I will probably be there. I've seen Starkville (I would love if it were there), Clemson, Athens, plus any of the ones you've mentioned would be easy drives for me. 

First pitch tonight at 6:05; temp in low 60's; winds 15 WNW.  Saturday at 2:05; temp in upper 50's; cloudy with possible rain starting around 3:00.  Sunday at 12:05; partly cloudy; low 50's; wind 10 NE.   Hopefully the rain predicted on Saturday will hold off long enough to avoid another Sunday doubleheader.  

Preview

Live Stats

Radio

26 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

First pitch tonight at 6:05; temp in low 60's; winds 15 WNW.  Saturday at 2:05; temp in upper 50's; cloudy with possible rain starting around 3:00.  Sunday at 12:05; partly cloudy; low 50's; wind 10 NE.   Hopefully the rain predicted on Saturday will hold off long enough to avoid another Sunday doubleheader.  

Preview

Live Stats

Radio

Not sure Sunday as a double header is an option. Surely Minnesota didn't ride on the bus. 

From the game to me this is squarely on Milto’s shoulders. Our offense has not been perfect but as good as I would expect against a legit ace like Meyer. Milto masked it last week since offense was great but also gave up 4 runs to a bad MSU team. Milto has had some bad luck but they also have hit him around pretty well. It’s the same issue I had with Stiever last yr on Fridays as to often gave up 4-5 runs on Friday which in an ace matchup is to much. Make no mistake Milto has not been bad but 9 hits and 4 runs is way to much in a Friday when ur team gets u a lead twice. 

Also Minny struggling but talent wise best team we have seen since Iowa and Indiana St. so its a tough transition. 

Milto was left in to long but given that he already had given up 4 as I said this showing tonight 100% on him and will get you nowhere in postseason against aces. Hmielewski absolutely owned Milto tonight. If we want to finish strong need Milto to pitch like an ace and he was not close tonight.