Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

IU Men's Soccer 2020 Recruiting Class

On 10/13/2019 at 11:43 PM, ccgeneral said:

From a few weeks ago.

@INFireJrs: @IndianaFireDA  U19’s Paul Bogarin, Emerson Nieto, Medard Mikobi joined former IFA player & current Chicago Fire member Jeremiah Gutjahr to take on USL 1 side Lansing Ignite FC.

Chicago Reserves wins 3-2. IFA‘s  Nieto 2 assists, Bogarin 1 assist, Gutjahr 1 goal. 

On 10/29/2018 at 7:34 PM, ccgeneral said:

We picked up our first commit tonight for this class. 3* D Lawson Redmon - Edwardsville, IL. TDS // Stats

@lawsonredmon: I am thankful to announce my commitment to continue my academic and athletic career at Indiana University. Thank you to everyone who has helped me get to this point. #Q49 @IndianaMSOC

On 9/6/2019 at 9:49 AM, ccgeneral said:

#6. 2* MF Nathan Ward - Greensburg Central Catholic, PA. TDS

https://tribhssn.triblive.com/gcc-soccers-nate-ward-commits-to-hoosiers/

He had 25 goals and 13 assists last season for GCC as the Centurions reached the WPIAL Class A championship and PIAA semifinals.

Nice. This is why we are elite year after year again as we are contently getting highly ranked recruits and top 100 players in every class after several years of lower then 100 ranked players and less. There is no 5* stud as in last few classes but Nieto and Folds are right on level with Bezerra ranking wise so all should be here at least two years and contribute from get go.

Still heard nothing on Penn but if he is back (and even without him with what we have returning) we are a legit contender again.

G Celentano

D Munie, Glass, AJ Palazzolo, Bebej

M Folds, Nieto, Black, Endeley, Penn (if back) or Schmidt 

F Bezerra       

Bench: Warr, Goumballe, Schmidt (if not starting), One of the D recruits with other 2 redshirting 

With or without Penn that's a top team with plenty of depth that should make a legit run at the title like in 2017 or 2018 despite a bit of a rebuild on D. 

As for Penn it's been dead quiet. I was told pre-season he was a for sure one and done, but he was not drafted and has not signed a homegrown yet, so maybe he realized he needs another year, but have not heard anything recently. My sources indicate Bezerra is returning for one more year so unless something suddenly changes I am going to proceed as if he is back and I expect him to be one of the top goal scores in college soccer.     

19 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

For what it’s worth, the staff is planning for the season under the impression that Penn and Bezerra both will be one the field for Spring league games and this Fall. 

Once you take part in spring ball you have to come back for fall or transfer to another school (soccer allows free transfers without sitting out). You can't go professional (Foreign, USL or MLS) until following year once you play college spring ball. Once guys are on the field in the spring they are 99% likely to be on field in fall barring a transfer or injury.  

Thanks for the info. Good to know.

On 2/6/2020 at 3:06 PM, JerryYeagley23 said:

For what it’s worth, the staff is planning for the season under the impression that Penn and Bezerra both will be one the field for Spring league games and this Fall. 

Confirmed: Penn and Bezerra played against Indy 11 and will suit up in both spring and fall. Huge keeps and makes IU legit College Cup Contenders, especially with Nieto and Folds coming in as highly ranked freshman in fall. 

Lineup for game was Celentano, Munie, Bebej, Glass, Maher (Joey, who enrolled early and replaces brother Jack in same spot), Goumballe, Endeley, Penn, Palazzolo, Schmidt and Bezerra with Warr and Quinten Helmer (who didn't play last year) playing a bit off bench. 

Ian Black didn't play and I forgot to ask around as to why. 

Pretty much what I expected lineup wise and no shame in losing 4-2 to Indy 11 who are better than any College team we will face. We held are own and played them even for most part and two questionable PK's called against us were the difference.   

Callum Stretch @callumstretch

I want to say a big thanks to all the players and coaching staff at the @DU_MSoccer (Denver U.) for a fantastic two years at the program. I am excited to announce that I have decided to transfer and play soccer at @IndianaMSOC.  I can’t wait to see what the next chapter brings!

Top Drawer Soccer

2016 Signed with Aston Villa, F. C.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I want to say a big thanks to all the players and coaching staff at the @DU_MSoccer (Denver U.) for a fantastic two years at the program. I am excited to announce that I have decided to transfer and play soccer at @IndianaMSOC.  I can’t wait to see what the next chapter brings!

Top Drawer Soccer

Starting defender for a solid Denver team and could use him as a starter in Simon Waever's role next year to go with Munie, Glass and the younger Maher. Certainly, preferable as a two year starter then one of the freshman playing D.

That's the one spot we are a little thin (and it looked like our one slight weakness against Indy 11) but fortunately have Celantano back in goal who showed real promise late last year. Otherwise midfield and forward we are best in country and have best offense, especially with Penn and Bezerra back. 

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Top Drawer Soccer

This is a good get. 

Hoosiers pick up Pitt defender Nyk Sessock. Coach Todd Yeagley said last week they were looking for one more piece and ta-da.

@nyksess

First off, thank you to the University of Pittsburgh for everything they have done for me. I am very happy to announce that I will be transferring to play soccer at Indiana University. Can’t wait to get started. Go Hoosiers

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Hoosiers pick up Pitt defender Nyk Sessock. Coach Todd Yeagley said last week they were looking for one more piece and ta-da.

@nyksess

First off, thank you to the University of Pittsburgh for everything they have done for me. I am very happy to announce that I will be transferring to play soccer at Indiana University. Can’t wait to get started. Go Hoosiers

This kid is a really good player who came out of the Philadelphia Union’s MLS academy. I had a chance to see him play last year when Pitt upset Virginia, and he likes to get forward down the flanks for a back. He’s gonna be great in Todd’s system getting forward and getting crosses into the box or springing guys into the final third with his passing. Great get. We don’t rebuild, we reload. 

This kid is a really good player who came out of the Philadelphia Union’s MLS academy. I had a chance to see him play last year when Pitt upset Virginia, and he likes to get forward down the flanks for a back. He’s gonna be great in Todd’s system getting forward and getting crosses into the box or springing guys into the final third with his passing. Great get. We don’t rebuild, we reload. 

And I love it. Enjoying all the success while it lasts.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Transfers Help Boost Indiana to No. 1 Spot

Ahead of the 2019 season, the Indiana men's soccer program needed its freshman class to deliver in a big way.

Having lost all but one starter from the 2018 College Cup side, the class of 2019 stepped in and stepped up. By season's end, six newcomers played significant minutes: Victor Bezerra, Aidan Morris, Joshua Penn, Maouloune Goumballe, Herbert Endeley and Roman Celentano were key contributors in the team that won the Big Ten regular season and tournament title.

This year, the IU recruiting class, which checked in at No. 1 in the most recent Recruiting Class Rankings, provides plenty of quality. But unlike the 2019 group, the stakes aren't as high for the team.

"This particular year with the development of some players internally and the returning core intact, it's now on who can fill some gaps," head coach Todd Yeagley said in a conference call, "and a lot of it will be that we don't have to have them ready, but it's a bonus if they are."

While the class was already highly regarded without transfers, the most recent additions have pushed the group into the No. 1 spot.

Center back Callum Stretch transferred in from Denver, and he'll fill the boots of sophomore Jack Maher, who signed a Generation adidas contract and was drafted at No. 2 by Nashville SC. Stretch saw Indiana up close and personal last fall, as the Pioneers traveled to Bloomington, losing 2-1 in overtime in September.

"I think Callum, with his technical and tactical skillset is a really good partnership for Daniel Munie," Yeagley said. "He's got two years of eligibility, it allows us to bring along some of our young players and possibly have Daniel Munie play other positions, we feel like maybe Joey Maher is ahead of schedule or another player, we have some flexibility. And what a great kid, fits so much of what we're about."

Nyk Sessock is the most recent transfer addition, as the outside back arrives from Pittsburgh with two years of eligibility left. He'll likely replace Simon Waever at right back or get time as an outside mid. Maher (the younger brother of Jack), Kyle Folds (Crew SC Academy), Emerson Nieto (Indiana Fire Academy), Lukas Hummel (St. Louis FC), Lawson Redmon (St. Louis FC) and Nathan Ward (Beadling SC) are the six high school seniors joining IU.

And while the production of Morris, who signed a Homegrown contract with the Columbus Crew SC after winning Big Ten Freshman of the Year, will need to be replaced in midfield, Yeagley said they'll have the luxury to bring in this group slowly.

"Two or three minimally in this class could impact some good minutes next year, and there's always surprises with every group," he said. "Every year we come in thinking that a player's going to play significant minutes, he's maybe a rotation or redshirts. We have guys that we think might redshirt and they come in and are playing 20 minutes, a half. We'll let that play out."

Perhaps most importantly, the 2020 newcomers feature players that potentially might stick around for the bulk of their eligibility. That's an important element that can be overlooked in men's Division I soccer, as top talent opts to move along early. But that doesn't detract from the high impact that the 2020 Indiana class should make, whether it's this year or later on.

[It's a] great group of kids, and the other thing we see with this group is that we have to continue to offset the players that come in with one or two years of potential college before that [pro] opportunity might come around," Yeagley said. "I think this group in particular will have of a long scope, which is also important to keep the culture of our program where we need it."