Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

IU Baseball Ranked and Ball St game thread

IU cracked the rankings in Baseball moving into no. 23 in the D1 Baseball poll. 

Time to take that new found ranking and beat BSU. This can serve as the game thread. As I said I will be there so cannot provide updates but will be able to write a good recap after.

Weather looks not the best at 60 and overcast for first pitch dropping to mid 50's by end. With that said beats the heck out of last year when temps were in the High 30's. 

Last year was awful. Unfortunately I bought tickets and then realized that Wednesday will be the 2nd day of iLearn testing, I was going to take Wednesday off. Can't do that now.. so I will be listening on the radio :(

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Last year was awful. Unfortunately I bought tickets and then realized that Wednesday will be the 2nd day of iLearn testing, I was going to take Wednesday off. Can't do that now.. so I will be listening on the radio :(

Games Tuesday this week.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I was going to turn it into a night of fun downtown.... and I live an hour away. 

Got you. Makes sense and just wanted to make sure you did not tune in on the wrong day. 

7:00 first pitch

Live Stats

Radio

For the fifth consecutive season, Indiana will head to Victory Field in Indianapolis, taking on the Ball State Cardinals on Tuesday night. Since 2015, the Hoosiers are 3-1 in Victory Field games.

• Tuesday will be the 61st ever meeting between IU and Ball State. The two squads met in Bloomington last Tuesday, with the Hoosiers earning a 14-3 victory.

• Indiana leads the all-time series between the two schools, 34-26.

• Indiana Head Coach Jeff Mercer is in his first season with the Hoosiers and his 10th overall year in coaching collegiately. He has posted an 104-61 career record after leading Wright State to winning seasons in each of his two years with the Raiders, including a 2018 Horizon League title and NCAA Regional appearance.

• Ball State head coach Rich Maloney is in his second stint and 14th season overall as head coach with the Cardinals. He led Ball State to its sixth-straight 30-win season in 2018 and has won four
MAC regular season titles with the program.

• Indiana is coming off a weekend where it took two of three games from the Michigan State Spartans, and are atop the Big Ten standings heading into this weekend's clash with Minnesota.

• IU has jumped into the national polls this week, ranking 23rd by D1Baseball.com, 24th by Perfect Game and Collegiate Baseball, and 25th by Perfect Game.

• The Hoosiers come into Tuesday as the nation's leader with 71 home runs.

• Aditionally, Indiana enters the week leading the Big Ten in slugging percentage (.484, 9th nationally) and runs (288, 29th), and is third in doubles (79, 41st).

• IU's pitching staff is first in the Big Ten in WHIP (1.21, 16th nationally) and strikeout to walk ratio (2.63, 28th), is second in hits allowed per nine innings (7.27, 13th), ERA (3.38, 20th) and strikeouts per nine innings (9.5, 33rd), and is third in shutouts (3, 40th) and walks per nine innings (3.61).

• Senior utility player Matt Lloyd enters the week first in the Big Ten in home runs (13, 15th nationally), slugging percentage (.664, 38th) and RBI (40), and is third in total bases (97, 38th) and sacrifice flies (4).

• Sophomore Cole Barr paces the Big Ten with Lloyd in home runs (13, 15th nationally), and is fifth in slugging percentage (.580).

• Junior Matt Gorski is second in the Big Ten in runs (39), RBI (37) and stolen bases (14), and is fourth in home runs (10, 46th nationally) and total bases (87).

• Senior Pauly Milto is second in the Big Ten in strikeout-to-walk ratio (7.67, 14th nationally), walks allowed per nine innings (1.15, 14th), WHIP (0.91, 31st), and wins (6, 36th), and is third in strikeouts (69, 61st).

• Junior Andrew Saalfrank paces the Big Ten in strikeouts per nine innings (13.6, 12th), is fourth in strikeout to walk ratio (4.86, 62nd) and strikeouits (68, 69th) and is fifth in wins (5). He has posted double-digit strikeouts in his last four starts.

• Since the start of the 2008 season, Indiana leads the Big Ten in wins (412) and conference wins (171). The Hoosiers have made six NCAA Regionals over that span, the most out of any current Big Ten team.

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This kids Ks numbers are off the charts.. he threw 5 innings on Friday night though. 

Good decision for us on Bierman given that Sommer pitched Sunday. Bierman is our next best option and glad its not McCade Brown. Clearly BSU using their Friday starter means they think this is their Super Bowl and more important than any other game so we must be ready. With that said I'd be shocked if he threw more than 3-4 innings given he pitched 3 days ago and needs to pitch this weekend.

Remember I will be there so can't post updates but will post a recap.  

9 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Good decision for us on Bierman given that Sommer pitched Sunday. Bierman is our next best option and glad its not McCade Brown. Clearly BSU using their Friday starter means they think this is their Super Bowl and more important than any other game so we must be ready. With that said I'd be shocked if he threw more than 3-4 innings given he pitched 3 days ago and needs to pitch this weekend.

Remember I will be there so can't post updates but will post a recap.  

I do think Ball st has some solid hitters.. I think Mercer was worried about them seeing Sommer twice in a week.