Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

IU Notre Dame Soccer 8pm Grand Park Tonight

IU has an exhibition game tonight vs. Notre Dame tonight at Grand Park. I would like to post throughout game but I have to keep stats carefully so I ill post a recap after the game instead.

I am curious to see what team looks like after losing so many starters. I have obviously read about all the spring results but am anxious to see team in person.  

Ok first off before I recap the game I found out 2 really important things tonight:

1. IU's Armstrong renovation includes a brand new field as part of it so everyone who has (correctly) complained about how bad the field itself looks no longer has to worry

2. I got 100% confirmation that Josh Penn is still coming in the fall despite playing for Indy 11 and it is indeed an amateur contract

As for the game we looked exactly how I thought we would look and lost 4-2. We were already even with ND last year and while they lost their leading scorers Ueland and Berneski they returned almost everyone else including their stud Jack Lynn who IU had problems with last year and had even bigger problems with tonight. He scored 2 goals and ran IU to death all night. ND also returned a few other elite guys including Aiden McFadden, Tommy McCabe, Mohamed Omar and a ton of role players. 

IU looked competitive but young and Ian Black and Ryan Wittenbrink are going to be absolute studs pretty fast. We also still have guys like Spencer Glass, AJ Palazollo, Jordyn Kleyn and of course Jack Maher who were good last year and still around. Like I said we are no longer no. 1 but are still a competitive top 20-25 team and that is before the freshman like Penn come in next year.

The game started the first 10 min with a typical defensive slug fest before IU broke through with Joe Schmidt scoring on a left side free kick from just outside the box. ND immediately responded with a Lynn goal on an open field counter. IU scored again in the 27th min off an over hit corner that we chased down and crossed back into the box that Black headed in. However, the last 25 minutes of half we were dominated as I have never seen IU be dominated before. Just like the first time we scored ND immediately responded on another open field break away with ND having a 2 on 1 advantage with McFadden scoring to tie it. A few min later ND took the lead for good on another Lynn goal off a cross and tacked on shortly before half time with an Ian Aschieris goal off a long ball. Notre Dame also had several other good opportunities they just missed in this time period.

Second half as you would expect had ND sitting back with several chances for both sides but no goals. Overall this was a good learning experience for IU and once you can plug Penn in the fall as an elite talent to compete with other teams elite talents like Lynn who was far and away the best player on the field tonight things will be better. We will not be the best team on the field every night like we were last year but will certainly be a really good team who can compete for Big Ten title and maybe make another deep tourney run.