Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#USMNT - 2019 Gold Cup

Basically we have Pulisic and a bunch of mediocre guys. 

I have to say it is very rare that I prefer watching women's sports to men's sports, (although I don't mind women's sports at all) but this is one of the times I way more enjoy watching the USWNT over the USMNT. The USWNT just play a better brand of soccer and are more fun to watch at the moment, period. I liked watching the Dempsey, Donovan teams, but right now this team just is not that good and is not fun to watch. I know several of my friends who like soccer feel the same and are much more into the USWNT right now for good reason. 

I understand the USMNT is winning in this Gold Cup, but they are not looking good doing it and playing some pretty terrible teams, while the USWNT is playing the best in the world and looking quite good.

People can say the world is catching up to the USWNT, but as long as they win at this level and you have young girls getting into it as they are now (and I saw a ton when I was at the watch party at Bankers Life and many more at watch parties on TV) and playing soccer, we will continue to rule the world. My friends with young girls who play soccer want to play and be just like them. Heck, this team is made up of girls mostly who saw the 99 team play and got into it. Just keep winning and engaging young girls which seems likely and the dominance will continue for a long long time.

As for the USMNT, we are miles behind and until we get more Pulisic's playing not much will change. The only thing that might help down the road is if more parents turn their kids away from football with all the concussions and they take up soccer instead. Even then we are still miles behind the soccer loving nations, but lets at least get back to the point where we are a top 20 in the world and dominating bad teams can make the knockout stage of the World Cup rather than missing it all together and playing bad soccer against bad teams. 

39 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Would be interested to see the ratings for this versus the women’s team earlier in the day

Women's ratings will be way higher with it being a Sunday and no one working. I'll stake a little money on that.

The final being on a weekend will rival some of the higher rated soccer games ever in this country even if it is early in the day. The semi's drew decently, but it sucks when the tourney is in Europe and games are in the midday instead of prime time. In Canada four years ago with games at night, the ratings were the highest ever for any soccer games men or women. This problem is not unique to the Women. The games in 2014 in Brazil for the men that were mostly in prime time drew much higher than games in other parts of the world in other tourneys.

Highest ratings for world events will always be when games are on this side of the world in the Western Hemisphere in prime time rather than midday (Europe and Africa) or middle of night (far East like Australia, Japan, China etc).

Next major tourney on this side of the World will either be 2023 Women's World Cup (still undecided between South America and Far East) or if not the 2026 World Cup here in America. Next few major World events will be in not great spots for viewing with 2020 Tokyo Olympics (although those tape delay in prime time which is not much better in this day in age of 24 hr media), 2022 Qatar (and in November with everything else going on it will be worse) and 2024 Olympics in Paris, before things come back to this side of the World.

This is hard to watch. Mexico is decent but far from the best team in the world and they are pretty much running over us. The women have a team of 11 great players, while the Men look like Christian Pulisic and 10 very mediocre players at best. We need more players like him and we would be in great shape, but unfortunately he's one guy among a bunch of mediocrity.

Women are much more fun to watch and play much higher quality of soccer.

Mexico wins and they deserved it as far superior team tonight. There is a reason why the USWNT Final was all US fans in France and this game here in Chicago is all Mexican fans. 

Women much more fun and compelling to watch right now. Men need to find more players like Pulisic and add a lot more talent. Also a little heart and will would do well also.

2 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Mexico wins and they deserved it as far superior team tonight. There is a reason why the USWNT Final was all US fans in France and this game here in Chicago is all Mexican fans. 

Women much more fun and compelling to watch right now. Men need to find more players like Pulisic and add a lot more talent. Also a little heart and will would do well also.

Correct if I am wrong but won’t the men get more money from today than the women from the us federation. 

24 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Correct if I am wrong but won’t the men get more money from today than the women from the us federation. 

I believe so. Got to change that in my mind.