Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU (19-12) (7-2) welcomes  tolerates a visit from that team from West Laffy (10-20) (4-4).

Radio

Stats

Indiana continues a stretch of 9 of 10 games at home by hosting the Purdue Boilermakers on Wednesday at 7 p.m. on FS1.

• Wednesday will be the 288th ever meeting between IU and Purdue. The two squads last met in West Lafayette in a midweek game last season, with the Boilermakers earning a 5-3 win.

• Indiana leads the all-time series between the two schools, 151-134-2.

• Indiana Head Coach Jeff Mercer is in his first season with the Hoosiers and his 10th overall year in coaching collegiately. He has posted an 96-60 career record after leading Wright State to winning seasons in each of his two years with the Raiders, including a 2018 Horizon League title and NCAA Regional appearance.

• Purdue head coach Mark Wasikowsi is in his third season as head coach with the Boilermakers. He was previously an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at the Universities of Oregon, Arizona, Florida as well as Southeast Missouri State.

• Indiana is coming off a successful weekend in which it took two of three games from the Penn State Nittany Lions to improve to 7-2 in Big Ten play.

• The Hoosiers entered this week the nation's leader in home runs with 56.

• Aditionally, Indiana is first in the Big Ten in slugging percentage (.474, 17th nationally) and runs (215, 44th), and is fourth in hits (267) and doubles (53).

• The IU pitching staff came into the week third in the Big Ten in ERA (3.59, 39th nationally) and walks per nine innings (3.90), and fourth in in hits allowed per nine innings (7.71, 35th), WHIP (1.29, 43rd), strikeout-to-walk ratio (2.29), and strikeouts per nine innings (8.9).

• Senior utility player Matt Lloyd is coming off a strong weekend against the Nittany Lions. He recorded five RBI in the two wins on Saturday (all-game winning RBI via a three-run home run and a two-run single) in addition to tallying two saves in both victories.

• The senior comes into Wednesday's game having reached base in his last 25 games.

• He is second in the Big Ten in home runs (10, 18th nationally), RBI (32) and slugging percentage (.645), third in total bases (71) and sac flies (4, 39th) and fifth in saves (4).

• Lloyd is tied for second in school history in saves (20) and saves in Big Ten games (11).

• Sophomore Cole Barr paces the Big Ten in home runs (11, 13th nationally), is third in slugging percentage (.618) and fifth in total bases (68).

• Junior Matt Gorski enters Wednesday with eight home runs, good for fourth in the league and 44th nationally. His 11 stolen bases are also third in the Big Ten.

• Senior Pauly Milto is second in the Big Ten in strikeout-to-walk ratio (6.44, 30th nationally), third in strikeouts (58, 49th) and walks per nine innings (1.46), and is fourth in wins (4).

• Since the start of the 2008 season, Indiana leads the Big Ten in wins (404) and conference wins (169). The Hoosiers have made six NCAA Regionals over that span, the most out of any current Big Ten team.

• Junior Andrew Saalfrank struck out 13 hitters in Sudays win over PSU, a school record for strikeouts in a Big Ten game. He has now struck out 39 batters over his last 22 innings.

I will be watching but since game is on cable on FS1 and everyone who is interested in watching can, I will not be providing my normal full updates. I normally describe things visually since I am one of the few who has the subscription to watch on BTN2go. Since tonight is on TV I will only provide a few small updates and analysis rather than play by play.

As for the game PU literally never has balls leave the yard as somehow they have only 4 home runs all year which is less than many of the Low D1 teams that I saw play a team I worked for some years back. Major Boiler Fail:). Overall PU's line up is pretty bad. Their pitching is not great either from a starting perspective but have a strong bullpen and their weekday starter has the best ERA on the team of the 4 guys they throw out there.

This is a game we should win but I am not in love with Mercer starting Brown again after the problems he had last week with either Sommer now available or even Bierman or Franklin. I know he likes Brown and I defer to him but in a rivalry game put your best weekday guy forward and not a freshman with potential. It also would hurt big time to lose this from RPI perspective as PU is sub 100 while ours is still a strong 31 so we are very much in play for NCAA at large bid. I  would rather play PU on weekend where they have awful starters and us good ones rather than a weekday game where its up to the bullpens and that is the one area they have an advantage.

Lets kick some Boiler but.

Like I said Mercer was a complete moron for starting Brown. Walks bases loaded with 0 outs and bullpen up already. I mostly have agreed with Mercer this year but this was 100% stupidity against a terrible lineup.

And Brown issues another walk and Mercer removes him for Sommer who should of started.

You have to out coach the fans and this was the probably the dumbest Mercer has made since being at IU starting Brown given this is a rivalry game and he has really struggled. Should of left the red shirt on him. Has plenty of other options and when your in thick of tourney contention can't put out a guy who has struggled this much. I don't blame Brown at all as I said but Mercer for throwing him to wolves. 

14 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Is this one of those mid-week we-don't-play-PU-so-we're-gonna-add-them-to-the-schedule game, or is it a real conference game? 

The first one. No count in conference.

And predictably Sommer comes in and overpowers awful PU lineup with 2 K's and a ground out with no further damage. Him or Saalfrank should be weekdays starter now with other taking Sunday and suddenly your prospects drastically improve. No more McCade Brown please.  

I have always said Wyatt Cross' power is the best part of his game. Now just needs to raise his avg and improve just a bit on D. Nice double off the top of the right field fence.