Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Romeo Langford - Utah Jazz

4 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Still, interesting that everyone else of his caliber seems to announce they’re entering the draft and hiring an agent. He only announced he’s entering the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah usually these guys know their agent before they announce their college. 

I'd say with 95% certainty Romeo has an agent.

That article to Givony at ESPN was clearly done by an agent.  It was a prepared statement.  They had already begun to spin things.  It was laying the groundwork to get drafted high.  It sounded nothing like a Romeo comment.  And it was directed at NBA teams, rather than the IU fanbase.  I doubt Romeo would have reached out to ESPN to make the announcement, anyway.  

Also, who do you think is paying for Romeo's thumb surgery in New York?  It's not IU.  Who is paying for him to do his training?  Rehab?  Flights and lodging out there?  An agency is fronting all of those costs.  

I'd love to sit down with Archie and hear his real thoughts on the whole ordeal.  I suspect he'd have a lot to say, and have reasons that would convince us the blown season was beyond his control.  But he has to keep quiet, and it makes him look like a dope that can't figure out how to handle his team.  

16 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

That article to Givony at ESPN was clearly done by an agent.  It was a prepared statement.  They had already begun to spin things.  It was laying the groundwork to get drafted high.  It sounded nothing like a Romeo comment.  And it was directed at NBA teams, rather than the IU fanbase.  I doubt Romeo would have reached out to ESPN to make the announcement, anyway.  

Also, who do you think is paying for Romeo's thumb surgery in New York?  It's not IU.  Who is paying for him to do his training?  Rehab?  Flights and lodging out there?  An agency is fronting all of those costs.  

I'd love to sit down with Archie and hear his real thoughts on the whole ordeal.  I suspect he'd have a lot to say, and have reasons that would convince us the blown season was beyond his control.  But he has to keep quiet, and it makes him look like a dope that can't figure out how to handle his team.  

Kinda screwed up if IU isn’t paying for the surgery.  He hurt it during the season after all. He could have shut it down and made them pay for it in November. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Kinda screwed up if IU isn’t paying for the surgery.  He hurt it during the season after all. He could have shut it down and made them pay for it in November. 

It's possible the strained thumb ligament didn't need surgery, also.  Doesn't matter.  It's a PR game now.  They needed some NYC celebrity orthopedic guy recognized by the NBA.  They needed something tangible to explain the 29% from distance.  Get a medical record saying "yep, that strained ligament from the Duke game where Romeo got upstaged by other lottery picks definitely caused the poor shooting then and for the remainder of the season," get a quick scope, and now GMs can feel warm and fuzzy about drafting the new and improved Romeo Langford.  It's not a serious surgery, or he wouldn't be ready to workout for teams in the coming months, which he plans to do.

I obviously don't have any intel about the extent of the thumb injury, and I'm mostly talking out of my butt here.  But I have a fairly good understanding of how this stuff works.  Indiana held everybody out at one point or another this year.  I'm certain that if Indiana's staff thought Romeo needed mid-season surgery on his thumb (especially surgery that can apparently have him back to work within weeks), they'd have shut him down, both for Romeo's health and to avoid any backlash from future recruits.  

ALSO, remember that the agents are playing a game here and trying to sign the kid.  Someone laid out the plan for a high draft pick, and kind of wants to control the influences here.  Wants to prove to Romeo that he'll invest in him, etc.  Probably has a relationship with the ortho doc to make sure the medical record says what it needs to.  Then send an email to Jonathan Givony with prewritten statements from Romeo and get the ESPN announcement out, already controlling the narrative and angling for a high pick.  

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

I was saying something to someone last night about how this season may have been out of his control off the court. I don't know if I believe the rumors or not but something happened off the court. This team was 12-2 and beat some pretty decent teams along the way. You don't lose 12/13 by accident. 

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

^ the last paragraph.

So this IS NOT me speculating that Romeo is returning, it’s just a general question about a situation that I could see take place. But....

How does this new NBA rule interface with the student athlete bill of rights at IU? Random example and definitely not trying g to start a discussion about TJD’s NBA readiness, but let’s say he comes in and averages 12 points and 6-7 rebounds. He decides to test the waters and secured and agent, goes into the draft and doesn’t get selected? Does IU have to honor his scholarship at that point?

Before the conversation spins out of control, which inevitable on this board, I know he is a 5* and I know the NBA drafts on potential. I know someday he will be in the league. If you don’t like the TJD example, use Justin Smith....or use Hoosier XYZ. Just please focus on the scenario and not on the player.

3 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

So this IS NOT me speculating that Romeo is returning, it’s just a general question about a situation that I could see take place. But....

How does this new NBA rule interface with the student athlete bill of rights at IU? Random example and definitely not trying g to start a discussion about TJD’s NBA readiness, but let’s say he comes in and averages 12 points and 6-7 rebounds. He decides to test the waters and secured and agent, goes into the draft and doesn’t get selected? Does IU have to honor his scholarship at that point?

Before the conversation spins out of control, which inevitable on this board, I know he is a 5* and I know the NBA drafts on potential. I know someday he will be in the league. If you don’t like the TJD example, use Justin Smith....or use Hoosier XYZ. Just please focus on the scenario and not on the player.

The bill of rights I think wouldn’t go away just because a kid tried to go pro

35 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

The athlete has to be eligible for two seasons to fall under the bill of rights. So, in your scenario if TJD went pro after one year then they wouldn't have to honor his scholarship. If, say, Smith tried it and didn't get picked IU would have to honor his scholarship in terms of paying for his school, but Archie wouldn't have to let him back on the team.

On 4/17/2019 at 6:16 PM, Uspshoosier said:

5 upperclassmen and Romeo. I don't think people have caught on to how good Romeo will be at the next level, he's going to be a stud in a more spacious game 

6 minutes ago, Aeggie said:

5 upperclassmen and Romeo. I don't think people have caught on to how good Romeo will be at the next level, he's going to be a stud in a more spacious game 

His 3 pt shooting has to return after the surgery. Not many guards in the NBA shooting in the low 30s from behind the arc. 

17 minutes ago, Aeggie said:

He doesn't have elite athleticism and he's a suspect shooter. He shot 27% from 3 this year. He's also not a great playmaker. That's going to make it difficult for him in the NBA. For his sake I hope that his rather poor shooting was because of his injury, because if it's not he's probably going to struggle. 

On 4/19/2019 at 5:04 PM, Cheaney40 said:

have I missed where Romeo signed with an agent? did I sleep through that or has he not hired one yet?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wondering the same?

2 hours ago, MoyeNeeded said:

No agent yet! The family is shopping around. Pretty quiet on the Langford front. It has been surmised down here that the less discussions about his injury the better off his value leading up to the draft.

WRONG!  lol

Jeff Rabjohns‏ @JeffRabjohns 

In case you missed it, Indiana freshman guard Romeo Langford has signed with Catalyst Sports.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

WRONG!  lol

Jeff Rabjohns‏ @JeffRabjohns 

In case you missed it, Indiana freshman guard Romeo Langford has signed with Catalyst Sports.

Cools beans! I was going from yesterdays news from A Bozich. He was on with Matt Dennison. Thanks for info.