Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Romeo Langford - Utah Jazz

3 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

So he hurt himself in high school?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

He injured his knee the summer (after high school) before he enrolled at IU.  

It was a shame as he was a great high school player and Kentucky, UNC etc recruited him.

5 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

So he hurt himself in high school?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I don't remember that being the case.  He was tall and thin and I think they just wore out from all the rapid growth.  Back in the 70s and 80s they couldn't do with knees what they can do now.  Just remember him playing in high school at East Leyden and he was just unstoppable and him being the potential "star" of the class that ended up winning it all in 1981.  He played at IU but he was never healthy enough to stay on the court for long periods of time.

6 minutes ago, BottomLine said:

I don't remember that being the case.  He was tall and thin and I think they just wore out from all the rapid growth.  Back in the 70s and 80s they couldn't do with knees what they can do now.  Just remember him playing in high school at East Leyden and he was just unstoppable and him being the potential "star" of the class that ended up winning it all in 1981.  He played at IU but he was never healthy enough to stay on the court for long periods of time.

I stand corrected.  He did injure the knee in the summer before his freshman year.  Here is a quote from an article about Grunwald

Of all of the outstanding high school basketball players I observed as a student and fan and covered as a sportswriter for four daily newspapers over a period of 50 years, two who stand out are Grunwald and Russell Cross.

I'll always wonder how good they could have been, if they could have achieved the Hall of Fame stature of George Mikan or Harry Gallatin or Andy Phillip or Isiah Thomas or Dan Issel or Cazzie Russell or Jerry Sloan or Don Nelson or, upon his retirement, Kevin Garnett.

They never had a chance.

Grunwald, the only four-time All-State selection in Illinois history, was recruited out of East Leyden by Indiana coach Bob Knight. He chose Indiana over North Carolina and Kentucky. But he suffered a severe knee injury during the summer prior to his freshman year and never was able to fulfill his enormous potential.

"Sure, I'll always wonder how good I could have been," he once told me. "It was tough not to succeed in basketball after high school. But I was part of a good college program and happy to be part of its success, however small. When you are injured, you feel you can get better. But the gradual realization is that it won't be the same."

He was co-captain of Indiana's 1981 NCAA championship team that was led by Isiah Thomas. He was drafted by the Boston Celtics in the fifth round of the NBA draft but never played in the NBA. Instead, he focused on his education, earning a law degree, an MBA and an Honours business degree in marketing. He was a successful corporate attorney for major law firms, including Winston & Strawn in Chicago, before joining the Denver Nuggets.

6 minutes ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

Is it just me or has there been more players declare for the draft early, than there are actual draft picks?

Is the draft expanding to a 3rd round and no one mentioned it to the world?

Just did a quick google search and there are approximately 72 early entrants who have declared for the Draft at this time.  There are only 60 picks and this is not counting Seniors and Overseas players.  

37 minutes ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

Is it just me or has there been more players declare for the draft early, than there are actual draft picks?

Is the draft expanding to a 3rd round and no one mentioned it to the world?

It probably has a lot to do with the rules changing. For the past couple of years you could declare and still come back after getting feedback. Now you can even hire an agent to go through the process, get the feedback, and still come back if you cut ties with the agent. You can even wait to see if you get drafted and if you don't, still come back (the way I understand it). If you're an underclassmen and have a chance at the NBA, there is nothing to lose by declaring.

16 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

It probably has a lot to do with the rules changing. For the past couple of years you could declare and still come back after getting feedback. Now you can even hire an agent to go through the process, get the feedback, and still come back if you cut ties with the agent. You can even wait to see if you get drafted and if you don't, still come back (the way I understand it). If you're an underclassmen and have a chance at the NBA, there is nothing to lose by declaring.

If you hire an agent you have to go thru the draft. 

14 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If you hire an agent you have to go thru the draft. 

Ah, got it. That's the part I was missing. Thought I read otherwise, but that makes sense. So its sounds like there are two main options for declaring. With or without an agent. With an agent you have to go through the draft and can only return if undrafted (and it sounds like you have to have participated in the combine). 

2 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Ah, got it. That's the part I was missing. Thought I read otherwise, but that makes sense. So its sounds like there are two main options for declaring. With or without an agent. With an agent you have to go through the draft and can only return if undrafted (and it sounds like you have to have participated in the combine). 

Basically if you don’t care where you get drafted there’s no reason not to just stay in the draft. The Knicks could theoretically draft you since they appear to pull random names out of a hat. 

24 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Basically if you don’t care where you get drafted there’s no reason not to just stay in the draft. The Knicks could theoretically draft you since they appear to pull random names out of a hat. 

"...and the New York Knicks select Renaldo Balkman with the ...."

7 minutes ago, The Ola Depot said:

IMG_2567.jpg
New rule this year allows players to hire an agent and still come back.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

We may not know who returns until after the draft. What a pain is the tail for coaches.

12 minutes ago, The Ola Depot said:

IMG_2567.jpg
New rule this year allows players to hire an agent and still come back.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yes come back if not drafted, however if they hire an agent they can't then go through the workouts etc, get the information that they may be a late 2nd round pick and decide to come back at that point. Once they hire an agent they have to go through the full draft process and draft. If through all of that they don't get drafted at all then they can decide to come back.

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Good one Brass, made me LOL!

The New York Knicks won't be pulling a random name out of a hat in the 2019 draft.

Romeo hasn't hired an agent but he has met with prospective agents. He is taking his time deciding which agent to hire just as he took his time choosing a college.