Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

6 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Then I'll tell you the same thing because you clearly don't get it either.   Fife's record has zero to do with it

If you think that Fife’s coaching record isn’t a factor, then you will never get it.  

Didn’t Fife take a satellite small school from D2 to D1? Didn’t his teams get better every year while going from independent to joining a new conference with incredible travel on a small budget.

Fife started coaching at 25 and really accomplished a ton to build a nice base for that program. He left to take an assistant gig at a top school whereas Bruiser was fired.

Does this mean Fife is ready now for a big program? Probably not I would value the got that was a successful coach vs the one that was fired.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Didn’t Fife take a satellite small school from D2 to D1? Didn’t his teams get better every year while going from independent to joining a new conference with incredible travel on a small budget.
Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

IPFW joined D1 in 2001, I believe.  His first season was their most wins since joining D1 and their winning % improved every year.

IPFW joined D1 in 2001, I believe.  His first season was their most wins since joining D1 and their winning % improved every year.

Ok I was close. Still, while not earth shattering, it is more impressive to me to take that on at 25, get better every year, then leave when you want (vs being fired) so you can go and learn from one of the best.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

39 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Three straight seasons at IPFW they went 12-17, 13-18, and 13-17.  I’d call that staying in place as opposed to improving.

He was also 25-27 years old. I know I didn’t peak professionally at that age. I was just trying to figure work and life out. Hell, I still am. Lol

In summary. The IU staff has little to no ties to IU. IU has a culture problem and some think it would be beneficial to bring in IU guys back into the program much like Duke does. These people should be prioritized unless landing a sure fire winner. If comparing to another middling guy, take the IU guy

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

Three straight seasons at IPFW they went 12-17, 13-18, and 13-17.  I’d call that staying in place as opposed to improving.

His last season they had the most wins in program history.  His record isn't anything special but it's hardly an apples to apples comparison with Bruiser Flint.

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Again....his record as a head coach has absolutely nothing to do...zero.....with why many want him on IU's bench.   He was a kid then, too..  What was he, 27 years old?   

The argument that IU should hire Dane Fife is academic. Fife not coming to IU. He is a top assistant at a successful program under a Hall of Fame coach. If he leaves it will be for a head coaching job, not for a lateral move to a less successful program. There may be other former IU players from that era like Michael Lewis willing to come to IU. But Dane Fife is not coming to IU. No rational person would make that move.

50 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

The argument that IU should hire Dane Fife is academic. Fife not coming to IU. He is a top assistant at a successful program under a Hall of Fame coach. If he leaves it will be for a head coaching job, not for a lateral move to a less successful program. There may be other former IU players from that era like Michael Lewis willing to come to IU. But Dane Fife is not coming to IU. No rational person would make that move.

This is true.  Discussion should probably be about Lewis rather than Fife.

2 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Again....his record as a head coach has absolutely nothing to do...zero.....with why many want him on IU's bench.   He was a kid then, too..  What was he, 27 years old?   

If I'm not mistaken, didn't IPFW transition from division two to division one while Fife was there? If I remember correctly most thought he did a pretty credible job during that time. 

If I'm not mistaken, didn't IPFW transition from division two to division one while Fife was there? If I remember correctly most thought he did a pretty credible job during that time. 

Yes and to have a family member as I did that was a head coach of another sport there at the time, I can attest that wasn’t an easy transition to make and fife handled it quite well

5 hours ago, jonz44 said:

Yep.  He was and is a strong guy mentally and he's tough minded.   He is the epitome of "son of a coach."    

To me (and I do agree with the poster above who said this conversation should be about Michael Lewis who is actually available), Fife understands the culture and expectations of Indiana.  Has been through the consistent fishbowl, has heard the fans and opposing fans, knows Indiana will always get the best shot from opponents, and wouldn't be intimidated by the scope or size of the job here.  Nor would Lewis.

Guess ol' fussy britches is getting a mandatory 5-day vacation.   

[/url]  

Ha wonder if it has to do with him continually calling out Romeo Langford as a shoe guy. “Journalistic Integrity” is what he got suspended for. That’s the main thing I think he could have got his hand swatted for over the last year. The other thing he does was talk crap to or about people. I remember he called Archie a “chicken-$hit” but that doesn’t really fall under journalistic integrity. Only other person he disliked more on the radio than Romeo was Andrew Luck.