Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Here he is on the Dan Patrick show (referenced above) talking about his fractured relationship with Knight. After listening to it, though, I'm still not sure what happened. He kinda talked a lot without saying much (in my opinion).
One thing that's ironic, though: He said Knight promised him that he'd eventually be IU's head coach. My fear at the turn of the century (after Dakich left) was that Knight was gonna pull what he eventually did at Texas Tech. Had he outlasted the zero tolerance thing, I could see him, in about 2004 or '05, saying "OK, I'm stepping down. Pat's taking over." ... Man, that would've been ugly. 

[/url]  

Thank you for the video. I was listening to it at work and trying to relay to everyone how it sounded to me.
Dakich had such a bad ending with Knight and IU, I doubt he will ever really want us to succeed. Not sure why Benson doesn’t like us anymore, but he also cheers for another team.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

If Dan was so great of a coach to get the IU job, wtf happened to the schools where he was head coach? And why wasn’t this great young coach being chased by all these needy major programs? My 2 cents worth.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

My thoughts are I agree with you 100% on his treatment of Archie, and I don't have any clue what it's about.   My guess?   Indiana has not yet improved under Archie (I'm putting a lot of that on the players); players have been a mixed bag; and he believes (as I kinda' have also) that an IU guy needs to run this program because of how unique it is.   Or, I think he believes - as I do - that a guy like Bruiser Flint has no business on IU's bench.  That should be Michael Lewis or someone like AJ Moye.  I don't think there are many other programs outside of Kentucky that have two completely different and equally vocal fan bases.  IU alums and IU fans.  The IU fans, like UK fans give the program a bad name.   They're the ones chasing kids at recruiting camps and asking high school kids for autographs.  They're the ones with inflated and unreasonable expectations. They're the dipsh*ts at games who make idiotic comments and who make stupid comments on Twitter.   And sadly?  They're the most vocal.   I think it takes being in it to understand that.   Archie looks like he got it later this season, but didn't at all a year ago.  I know there are SOME alums that act like morons, but by and large...it's "fans."  Archie is learning.  I can see it.   Crean never did and I don't know that Dakich believes Archie is learning....but I "guess" he is angry that IU hasn't done one thing to help itself by ignoring former players; and including Fife and Lewis right now; there have been many who were qualified to at least have a conversation.  Dakich uses the word "arrogance" a lot, and I think he's right. 

Our administration is and has been completely arrogant thinking we don't need an IU guy.   This is indeed a unique program and people who have played here or been part of it get that.   Others like Crean, Davis, Sampson, and maybe Archie (although I truly believe based on what I have seen and heard; along with the transfers this week tell me he is either starting to get it or completely gets it.   We'll see who comes in now.  Joey Brunk would be a good one, IMO) do or have not.  The last 20 years has proven that theory incorrect at least on the surface, as we've definitely lost the culture and "fans" continue to make excuses.  Archie being the admin's guy, Dakich takes it out on him.   That's a guess.   Could be more to it, and I would LOVE for Archie to go on his show to talk.  Would be the highest rated local radio show in history.   

Long answer, and I'm sorry....but that's what I think.

I think IU believes, at least Fred Glass believes, they have an IU guy who never wore the stripes in Archie, and I think they’re right. I also agree there’s no reason we don’t have one of the 10+ former players turned coaches on the bench as some kind of assistant. I have no personal gripes against Flint, Schilling, nor Ostrom, but for ****s sake get Cheaney back in the building by any means necessary.

I think IU believes, at least Fred Glass believes, they have an IU guy who never wore the stripes in Archie, and I think they’re right. I also agree there’s no reason we don’t have one of the 10+ former players turned coaches on the bench as some kind of assistant. I have no personal gripes against Flint, Schilling, not Ostrom, but for ****s sake get Cheaney back in the building by any means necessary.

Completely agree, I think those former greats want to see IU succeed again and would work their backsides off to get there. I’d love to see Lewis and Chaeney on the stuff to help build this program back where so many in the college basketball world don’t want to see it.

As for Dan, I think he has issues with the program and isn’t always a part of the solution. He loves him some ratings though.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Frankly chasing former players, now coaches is a way to ruin a program.  The head coach hire should be based on their coaching ability and ability to manage a program.  I don't care where the hell he comes from.  If he can recruit, coach and win without being a disgrace and a schmuck, I'm all in.  Now having former IU guys involved as assistants and such is important to keep the history alive.  

Sorry, but never really cared for DD. Had he done better at BG, and not become a bitter shock jock, maybe I'd think different now.

I don't know him, but have met him in the early/mid 90s a couple times. Both times, he was with other coaches. He was easily the least likable guy at the table.  

I get the whole reporting, and social media thing.. but he's gone to far and come across as a jilted lover more than media guy.

I don't like the IU admin either, but that's another conversation. Given all the unlikable crap surrounding IU, I can see why top tier coaches aren't fighting for the IU job. Feels like we might be little brother to PU for a while in both BB and FB lol. 

15 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Frankly chasing former players, now coaches is a way to ruin a program.  The head coach hire should be based on their coaching ability and ability to manage a program.  I don't care where the hell he comes from.  If he can recruit, coach and win without being a disgrace and a schmuck, I'm all in.  Now having former IU guys involved as assistants and such is important to keep the history alive.  

Why is Brusier Flint on our bench instead of an IU guy?     There is a long list of guys since 2000 who have added nothing; while many young and talented former IU players have been ignored.   As I said...this is a unique place.  It's NOT like everywhere else; and "any coach" cannot succeed here.  That's been proven.    Crean "could recruit."   That's debatable in my opinion, but he failed.  Mike Davis was said to be a great recruiter.    He failed.   It does take someone who can recruit, coach, and win; but it also takes someone to understand where he is and how that affects the culture of the program.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I will give a few reasons why Bruiser has a job. He is a former head coach for many years and you need someone who has experience. He helps Archie with in-game coaching situations. He has many east coasts ties and has been around big-time college basketball programs for many years. Plus he is the only coach of color on the staff which I think you need. With grown kids himself, he can be like a father figure for some of the players. 

If he leaves, I don't think it will be Lewis who takes his place. Maybe Guyton, but knowing Calbert I don't think he wants to put in the time and energy it takes to coach at a big-time program. He didn't like going to the AAU tourneys when he was St. Louis. 

This is going to sound more harsh than I mean it.....it is NOT personal toward you.  But....

How many coaches could Archie hire who "have experience?"    Experience where?    What kind of experience?    Drexel has Z. E. R O. comparison to Indiana, and he barely won half his games as a head coach.  In a bad conference he finished 6th or worse 7 times.   He never made the NCAA tournament while there.   He has no business on Indiana's bench.  None.  

I could not care less....Not at all about east coast ties.   That strategy has failed and kids from there couldn't care less about Indiana.   There will never be a bigger "so the hell what???" from me than a coach who has "east coast ties."  Other than Victor Oladipo, who from the east coast has Indiana ever recruited who became a true difference maker?  I'll wait.  

His color also means nothing.  ZERO.  Not even on the radar.  That doesn't matter one bit, but if we need a coach of color, hire Moye.    

I disagree with you about in game situations, too.  Flint stands around with his hands in his pockets and doesn't even pay attention in huddles during timeouts.  

Any coach can be a good father figure.  I know that first hand.  

1 minute ago, Old Friend said:

This is going to sound more harsh than I mean it.....it is NOT personal toward you.  But....

How many coaches could Archie hire who "have experience?"    Experience where?    What kind of experience?    Drexel has Z. E. R O. comparison to Indiana, and he barely won half his games as a head coach.  In a bad conference he finished 6th or worse 7 times.   He never made the NCAA tournament while there.   He has no business on Indiana's bench.  None.  

I could not care less....Not at all about east coast ties.   That strategy has failed and kids from there couldn't care less about Indiana.   There will never be a bigger "so the hell what???" from me than a coach who has "east coast ties."  Other than Victor Oladipo, who from the east coast has Indiana ever recruited who became a true difference maker?  I'll wait.  

His color also means nothing.  ZERO.  Not even on the radar.  That doesn't matter one bit, but if we need a coach of color, hire Moye.    

I disagree with you about in game situations, too.  Flint stands around with his hands in his pockets and doesn't even pay attention in huddles during timeouts.  

Any coach can be a good father figure.  I know that first hand.  

This.  Who cares that he's been coaching a while, his record is lackluster at best.  Frankly, with a winning % around 53 in weaker conferences I don't want him making coaching decisions in the B10.

17 hours ago, Napleshoosier said:

If Dan was so great of a coach to get the IU job, wtf happened to the schools where he was head coach? And why wasn’t this great young coach being chased by all these needy major programs? My 2 cents worth.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

We don’t know what jobs he did or didn’t go after. We do know that he went to WV but he walked away when he realized the shadiness going on. So he did get a decent power 5 job, but he walked away from it. Probably a mistake bc John Beilien went in and parlayed that position to the Michigan job. 

If I were Dan, I would always be thinking what if. It could be haunting to be fair. 

59 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Why is Brusier Flint on our bench instead of an IU guy?     There is a long list of guys since 2000 who have added nothing; while many young and talented former IU players have been ignored.   As I said...this is a unique place.  It's NOT like everywhere else; and "any coach" cannot succeed here.  That's been proven.    Crean "could recruit."   That's debatable in my opinion, but he failed.  Mike Davis was said to be a great recruiter.    He failed.   It does take someone who can recruit, coach, and win; but it also takes someone to understand where he is and how that affects the culture of the program.

There are so so many relevant factors for assistant coach hires: head coaching experience, chemistry with the hc, recruiting connections, energy, player development, connection to the State of Indiana, its high school coaches, and the IU program, in-game expertise, ability to command respect, and on and on and on.

Is Bruiser Flint a good choice? Some of the relevant factors will always be lacking compared to other candidates. The strengths that he brings need to make up for the weaknesses and get the totality to a net positive compared to other options.

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

There are so so many relevant factors for assistant coach hires: head coaching experience, chemistry with the hc, recruiting connections, energy, player development, connection to the State of Indiana, its high school coaches, and the IU program, in-game expertise, ability to command respect, and on and on and on.

Is Bruiser Flint a good choice? Some of the relevant factors will always be lacking compared to other candidates. The strengths that he brings need to make up for the weaknesses and get the totality to a net positive compared to other options.

I don't agree.  Guess time will tell.

21 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I don't agree.  Guess time will tell.

NOT saying Bruiser is the right choice - and we probably agree more than you think.

My take? When ties to the State and program are relevant factors and the head coach doesn't check that box, one of the assistants should, absent a damn good reason for not doing so. Ed Shilling checks the ties to State box; who checks the program ties box? Are Elston and Tim Garl enough?

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

NOT saying Bruiser is the right choice - and we probably agree more than you think.

My take? When ties to the State and program are relevant factors and the head coach doesn't check that box, one of the assistants should, absent a damn good reason for not doing so. Ed Shilling checks the ties to State box; who checks the program ties box? Are Elston and Tim Garl enough?

I just don't think Brusier brings enough to the table.   Nice guy?  Absolutely.   But there are a lot of nice guys.  Schilling is an enigma for me.  His greatest successes around here have been running camps and building relationships...not coaching.  So yeah, he has ties to the state and can help there; but that well will dry up soon, and he's not a great coach.  Neither is Flint.   So...who's helping Archie with his abysmally stagnant offense?    Who's helping him with adjustments?  Who's his sounding board at 2:17AM on a random Wednesday?

Neither Flint nor Schilling have enough success as a college coach for me to believe in them; but at least Schilling has local relationships.  I've not yet seen significant player development nor team development, so I'm skeptical of whether or not we have the right staff in place.   I'm not a huge Tom Ostrom fan, either and just wonder why both he and Brusier are on the bench at Indiana?  Seems they bring about the same skill set, albeit with one having more experience than the other.

So we’ve now reached the point where we are raining down judgement on the performance of an ASSISTANT Coach.  Wow. Ok then. Just out of curiosity, which specific opponent scouting report/game plan that Flint was in charge of proved to be poorly done?  Which prospect evaluation that Flint did on a kid proved to be a miss?  Which kid was Flint the lead on that we didn’t get and what was Flint’s specific failure. Which part of the development program that Flint is captaining is failing? What specific parts of the role that Miller has assigned to him is Flint underperforming? Which poor in game strategic suggestions did Flint offer? I don’t know. I’m not in the room. But someone on here must be to confidently assert that Flint needs to go. Maybe there is an issue with Ostrom? How about Schilling? Maybe Tim Garl suddenly can’t get it done. I mean, look at all of those injuries that he couldn’t fix!

Hey, I’m not defending Flint. No idea if he’s any good at his job. But 2 things, 1) You cannot judge the job performance of an Asst Coach by watching 30 games a year on TV. Sorry, ya can’t. 2) Miller is placing his career in the hands of those guys. If 1 or more of them is underperforming his expectations, not ours, his, than it is incumbent on him to deal with it. If he doesn’t, that’s on him. It’s all on him. 

55 minutes ago, Demo said:

So we’ve now reached the point where we are raining down judgement on the performance of an ASSISTANT Coach.  Wow. Ok then. Just out of curiosity, which specific opponent scouting report/game plan that Flint was in charge of proved to be poorly done?  Which prospect evaluation that Flint did on a kid proved to be a miss?  Which kid was Flint the lead on that we didn’t get and what was Flint’s specific failure. Which part of the development program that Flint is captaining is failing? What specific parts of the role that Miller has assigned to him is Flint underperforming? Which poor in game strategic suggestions did Flint offer? I don’t know. I’m not in the room. But someone on here must be to confidently assert that Flint needs to go. Maybe there is an issue with Ostrom? How about Schilling? Maybe Tim Garl suddenly can’t get it done. I mean, look at all of those injuries that he couldn’t fix!

Hey, I’m not defending Flint. No idea if he’s any good at his job. But 2 things, 1) You cannot judge the job performance of an Asst Coach by watching 30 games a year on TV. Sorry, ya can’t. 2) Miller is placing his career in the hands of those guys. If 1 or more of them is underperforming his expectations, not ours, his, than it is incumbent on him to deal with it. If he doesn’t, that’s on him. It’s all on him. 

You are missing the point.   Badly.  Nice condescending rant, though.   

3 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I just don't think Brusier brings enough to the table.   Nice guy?  Absolutely.   But there are a lot of nice guys.  Schilling is an enigma for me.  His greatest successes around here have been running camps and building relationships...not coaching.  So yeah, he has ties to the state and can help there; but that well will dry up soon, and he's not a great coach.  Neither is Flint.   So...who's helping Archie with his abysmally stagnant offense?    Who's helping him with adjustments?  Who's his sounding board at 2:17AM on a random Wednesday?

Neither Flint nor Schilling have enough success as a college coach for me to believe in them; but at least Schilling has local relationships.  I've not yet seen significant player development nor team development, so I'm skeptical of whether or not we have the right staff in place.   I'm not a huge Tom Ostrom fan, either and just wonder why both he and Brusier are on the bench at Indiana?  Seems they bring about the same skill set, albeit with one having more experience than the other.

I agree on the lack of player development / team development we saw this year. Outside of Durham, there didn’t seem to be much improvement anywhere.