Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Listening to him on Fox Sports radio talk about Coach Knight. Dakich sounds bitter to me. Dan says he was promised a head coaching job at Indiana by Bob when he retired. He said Coach Knight was getting nasty in his later years before getting fired. He says he couldn’t wait to get away from Indiana. It makes sense to me now why Dan acts the way he does. I certainly don’t agree with it, but I always wondered why.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I know a few people who know Dakich and lets say they do not have good things to say about him. I have never met him so cannot judge myself but definitely these peoples interactions with him have been less than positive. 

5 minutes ago, Demo said:

When Dan’s doing a game and he’s really locked in to the x’s and o’s I think he’s exceptional.  But when he’s Dan being Dan.....insufferable.  

This- he knows basketball, but the over-the-top "look at me" pronouncements get old. Attention ***** that I mute more often than not. 

Here he is on the Dan Patrick show (referenced above) talking about his fractured relationship with Knight. After listening to it, though, I'm still not sure what happened. He kinda talked a lot without saying much (in my opinion).

One thing that's ironic, though: He said Knight promised him that he'd eventually be IU's head coach. My fear at the turn of the century (after Dakich left) was that Knight was gonna pull what he eventually did at Texas Tech. Had he outlasted the zero tolerance thing, I could see him, in about 2004 or '05, saying "OK, I'm stepping down. Pat's taking over." ... Man, that would've been ugly. 

26 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Here he is on the Dan Patrick show (referenced above) talking about his fractured relationship with Knight. After listening to it, though, I'm still not sure what happened. He kinda talked a lot without saying much (in my opinion).

One thing that's ironic, though: He said Knight promised him that he'd eventually be IU's head coach. My fear at the turn of the century (after Dakich left) was that Knight was gonna pull what he eventually did at Texas Tech. Had he outlasted the zero tolerance thing, I could see him, in about 2004 or '05, saying "OK, I'm stepping down. Pat's taking over." ... Man, that would've been ugly. 

I don't know Dakich personally nor Knight but both appear to be very petty individuals and like to lean on that "loyalty" thing.  Almost to the effect of "You weren't loyal to me because you didn't act how I expected you to act so now I"m going to disown you".  Again, this is all from observation but observations several different times.  One time is a fluke, twice coincidence, but three is a pattern. 

I understand not liking someone or having a personality conflict but going out of one's way to speak badly of someone just reeks of petty insecurities. Knight and Dakich have done that.

Never have I read anything about the two where they accept any responsibility but are simply the victim in their situations.

1 hour ago, Demo said:

When Dan’s doing a game and he’s really locked in to the x’s and o’s I think he’s exceptional.  But when he’s Dan being Dan.....insufferable. 

I agree with this. Sometimes I like his takes but other times he is trying to be an entertainer. Dude knows the x's and o's for sure. 

8 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I do know him, and he's a complex dude; but not nearly so bad as some seem to believe.   I think he is spot on...in fact I KNOW he is spot on with his feelings for Indiana University and its administration.    I know he can't stand Bob Knight.   I know he has gotten a couple of other friends of mine jobs; and I know he goes out of his way to help coaches.  Especially young coaches.    Think what you want of his radio personality; but much like Knight...if you listen to the meat of what he says and ignore how he says it; he's right more often than not; and his view of Indiana University and the way it treats and has treated "its own" matches mine almost 100% and I know most to be true.

Believe this.  He would have been a much better hire than Mike Davis.   Yeah...I know.  Davis' 2nd team went to the final four.  Lot more to do with a hot shooting team and on-floor leadership at that time than it did Davis.   That team finished the regular season 20-11 and went on a run.   

Personally, I like the guy despite his flaws, and I know he has them.   But when I see people questioning his (or anyone I know) character, I'll defend him; and that's the case here.   

This is why I prefaced my comment with not personally knowing him.  I only see one or two sides of a person from a media viewpoint and left to make conclusions from that.  I would've served myself better in saying I wasn't condemning his entire personality but merely pointing out some consistent flaws. 

Just now, theriverpilot said:

This is why I prefaced my comment with not personally knowing him.  I only see one or two sides of a person from a media viewpoint and left to make conclusions from that.  I would've served myself better in saying I wasn't condemning his entire personality but merely pointing out some consistent flaws. 

I was not at all referencing you, pilot.  Just a general comment.  I know the guy and I know people who know him well.   There's an awful lot of "good dude" in him, despite  his on air personality;' and believe me....he knows what he's talking about as it relates to IU.   Far more than anyone here.   I'm still just connected enough to have some working knowledge; and Dan's spot on with other things I've heard.

Dakich would be much better if he got rid of the shock jock attitude and stopped saying outrageous things for attention. He's not a dumb guy. He knows his stuff. He can just be unbearable to listen to because of the persona he's created for himself.

51 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Appreciate your thoughts on this! I prefer to be really careful here and I don't really feel right criticizing Dakich, as he's put infinitely more blood, sweat, tears and money into IU basketball than I ever have or will. He's actually a real part of the program and as alumni and former coach, while I'm just some fan behind a keyboard, so I really have no place to criticize him. 

But with that said, my only real issue with Dakich lately is the way he's treated Archie, at least publicly, to this point. His twitter feed is basically one long sub-tweet of Archie and IU basketball, and his attitude comes off as very bitter that Alford didn't get the job. I think he's been borderline disrespectful publicly to Archie and I find that detrimental to the program. At some point you have to get over it. It's not Archie's fault, and while the success Archie will have at IU remains to be seen, I think he's much closer to the "IU culture" than any coach the program has had since Knight, so I'm a little surprised at Dakich's behavior on this. 

I could be reading all that entirely wrong, but that's the way I've received Dakich the last two years. I'm curious your thoughts on that?

My thoughts are I agree with you 100% on his treatment of Archie, and I don't have any clue what it's about.   My guess?   Indiana has not yet improved under Archie (I'm putting a lot of that on the players); players have been a mixed bag; and he believes (as I kinda' have also) that an IU guy needs to run this program because of how unique it is.   Or, I think he believes - as I do - that a guy like Bruiser Flint has no business on IU's bench.  That should be Michael Lewis or someone like AJ Moye.  I don't think there are many other programs outside of Kentucky that have two completely different and equally vocal fan bases.  IU alums and IU fans. 

The IU fans, like UK fans give the program a bad name.   They're the ones chasing kids at recruiting camps and asking high school kids for autographs.  They're the ones with inflated and unreasonable expectations. They're the dipsh*ts at games who make idiotic comments and who make stupid comments on Twitter.   And sadly?  They're the most vocal.   I think it takes being in it to understand that.   Archie looks like he got it later this season, but didn't at all a year ago.  I know there are SOME alums that act like morons, but by and large...it's "fans."  Archie is learning.  I can see it.   Crean never did and I don't know that Dakich believes Archie is learning....but I "guess" he is angry that IU hasn't done one thing to help itself by ignoring former players; and including Fife and Lewis right now; there have been many who were qualified to at least have a conversation.  Dakich uses the word "arrogance" a lot, and I think he's right. 

Our administration is and has been completely arrogant thinking we don't need an IU guy.   This is indeed a unique program and people who have played here or been part of it get that.   Others like Crean, Davis, Sampson, and maybe Archie (although I truly believe based on what I have seen and heard; along with the transfers this week tell me he is either starting to get it or completely gets it.   We'll see who comes in now.  Joey Brunk would be a good one, IMO) do or have not.  The last 20 years has proven that theory incorrect at least on the surface, as we've definitely lost the culture and "fans" continue to make excuses.  Archie being the admin's guy, Dakich takes it out on him.   That's a guess.   Could be more to it, and I would LOVE for Archie to go on his show to talk.  Would be the highest rated local radio show in history.   

Long answer, and I'm sorry....but that's what I think.

33 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

My thoughts are I agree with you 100% on his treatment of Archie, and I don't have any clue what it's about.   My guess?   Indiana has not yet improved under Archie (I'm putting a lot of that on the players); players have been a mixed bag; and he believes (as I kinda' have also) that an IU guy needs to run this program because of how unique it is.   Or, I think he believes - as I do - that a guy like Bruiser Flint has no business on IU's bench.  That should be Michael Lewis or someone like AJ Moye.  I don't think there are many other programs outside of Kentucky that have two completely different and equally vocal fan bases.  IU alums and IU fans. 

The IU fans, like UK fans give the program a bad name.   They're the ones chasing kids at recruiting camps and asking high school kids for autographs.  They're the ones with inflated and unreasonable expectations. They're the dipsh*ts at games who make idiotic comments and who make stupid comments on Twitter.   And sadly?  They're the most vocal.   I think it takes being in it to understand that.   Archie looks like he got it later this season, but didn't at all a year ago.  I know there are SOME alums that act like morons, but by and large...it's "fans."  Archie is learning.  I can see it.   Crean never did and I don't know that Dakich believes Archie is learning....but I "guess" he is angry that IU hasn't done one thing to help itself by ignoring former players; and including Fife and Lewis right now; there have been many who were qualified to at least have a conversation.  Dakich uses the word "arrogance" a lot, and I think he's right. 

Our administration is and has been completely arrogant thinking we don't need an IU guy.   This is indeed a unique program and people who have played here or been part of it get that.   Others like Crean, Davis, Sampson, and maybe Archie (although I truly believe based on what I have seen and heard; along with the transfers this week tell me he is either starting to get it or completely gets it.   We'll see who comes in now.  Joey Brunk would be a good one, IMO) do or have not.  The last 20 years has proven that theory incorrect at least on the surface, as we've definitely lost the culture and "fans" continue to make excuses.  Archie being the admin's guy, Dakich takes it out on him.   That's a guess.   Could be more to it, and I would LOVE for Archie to go on his show to talk.  Would be the highest rated local radio show in history.   

Long answer, and I'm sorry....but that's what I think.

This is the kind of long answer worth reading. Thank you.