Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
CrossboneIU22

Recruiting Expectations vs Winning Expecations vs Reality

With all the transfers happening in college basketball today and the potential end of the One and Done (OAD) era, who should IU be recruiting in this day and age to sustain long-term success and get back to being an elite program? 

As a fan base, are our expectations for recruiting unrealistic and out of whack with what actually relates to sustaining a successful program?

Lets start with OAD players.  They are impact players who typically start from day one.  They are very talented and highly sought after in the recruiting game.  However, there are negatives that go along with the positives of a OAD.  They are only around for 1 season, inexperienced, can have different agendas from the team, or may create atmosphere and continuity issues. So the notion has been floated and discussed that we are not in a position to recruit OAD players at this time.  Also, it has been noted that 0 of the final four teams have a OAD player and all have experienced teams.  Not to mention, this era may be going away anyway.

So, if that is the case, then the notion is that we need players who will be here for 4 years. I would say though that these types of players usually do not make much of an impact as freshman. So how do your recruit for this?  How do you keep them from transferring when they do not get the playing time they think they deserve as a freshman?   As a fan, can you accept a player who does not make an impact as a freshman?  There are players that fall between a OAD and non impact freshman.  Such as Rob Phinisee but these are hard to come by and do not come about every year.

What are your expectations of a freshman at IU?  How much playing time should a freshman player be getting?  If players like Forrester are likely to transfer after their freshman season due to not getting enough playing time, then is it beneficial to recruit those players?

So where does that leave us?

Transfers.  There are 2 types of transfers, Grad Transfers and regular Transfers.  Grad transfers typically only have 1-2 years of eligibility remaining and are eligible to play immediately. Regular transfers generally will have 1-3 years of eligibility remaining but have to sit out a year before playing (in most cases currently).  So, is a transfer player more or less important in recruiting than a high school player?  Transfer players typically have more experience at this level than incoming freshman and are extremely less likely to transfer again.  

So basically what I am getting at is this.  As fans, is our expectation of the players we want to recruit and the players we need to recruit in sync?  I would venture say they are not which leads me to believe that our expectations for CAM and perception of his recruiting is not reasonable either based on the outcome we all expect at IU.  However, in the end, all that matters is that CAM understands the type of players he needs and recruits them.  Only time will tell whether or not he succeeds at doing this here at IU.

As a sidebar, what about the players perception of this topic?  

Is a recruits perception of how their freshman year should go, way out of whack when it comes to reality?  Is the OAD era partly to blame for this?  Is that why we are seeing close to 600-800 transfers in the off-season? 

Would it be better for a player to go to a smaller school where they can get playing time and game experience and then transfer to more prestigious school as an upperclassmen instead of the other way around? How much of a burden would that then put on bigger schools having to red-shirt a player and give a player 2-3 year scholarships to play 1-2 years.

1. You have to be honest in recruiting first of all. Don’t guarantee PT unless you are going to give it. Don’t guarantee starting spots unless you know players will win that spot without a doubt.

Maybe our staff does this, IDK, I would think they do.

2. I think you have to work all scholarship guys in during the non con a little unless there is zero doubt that certain guys are better than others.

I’ve been very vocal this year about Fitzner’s minutes. I think Jake and Clifton should have seen some of those minutes to see who seized the spotlight best. If Clifton and Jake were worse than Fitzner and apparently that is the case, transferring is best for all parties.

3. Regardless of the type of recruit, recruit kids that want to win. And kids that are willing to work hard to win if it doesn’t come easy.

4. All things equal I want 3 or 4 year guys but filling holes with grad transfers and OAD types makes sense, if and only if those guys are trying to win.

5. It’s been my observation that 1 OAD doesn’t work because of differing agendas. Gotta have about 3 of them or 3 like talents that are willing to share the ball and make each other better.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I am honestly tired of recruiting so many kids who are "too cool" to show any emotion. We need size and energy I think. I dont think Archie is a good offensive coach so might as well play to the strengths of defense and size and energy help. Archie loves guys in the 6-6 to 6-8 range. I think getting guys who will be passionate about playing for IU, kids that will fight for rebounds/loose balls and then a couple kids that can shoot. We need at least two token shooters and a good big man. I want some Lance Stephensons and Zions(intensity wise). Im tired of guys like Justin Smith who just go through the motions, which seemed to be what our entire team did. I think we can do that with kids in the Top 150.