Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Official Breakdown of Nike EYBL Rule Changes

The Nike Elite Youth Basketball League is about to kick off its 10th season, and for the first time in history, the circuit will implement three new game-play rules. 

• (4) 9-minute quarters

• 24-second shot clock

• Illegal defense prohibition

The most major change is the switch to the 24-second shot clock. This should lead to some high-paced, back-and-forth action that will make for a very entertaining brand of basketball at the 17-and-under level. With the new shot-clock and the adoption of quarters over halves, it’s highly-likely that possession counts will be higher than ever.

The EYBL “illegal defense” rule will be centered around the “3 seconds rule.” The illegal defense call will be assessed when a member of the defending team spends more than three seconds in the free throw lane (“in the paint”) while not actively guarding an opponent. To be considered actively guarding, a defender must be within arm’s length of an opponent and in a guarding position. A three-second count is suspended if:

• a player is in the act of shooting

• there is a loss of team control

• the defender is actively guarding an opponent

• the defender clears the painted area

• it is imminent the defender will become legal

In addition, a player guarding an opponent with the ball may be in the paint without actively guarding the opponent.

The team committing a defensive three-second violation is assessed a technical foul. The offense receives one free throw and retains possession of the ball.

To further clarify, several NBA teams play some version of a zone, but they are all predicated on “zoning with man to man principles.” Zones will be allowed with man-to-man principles with each defender within arm’s length of an opponent. This will be an important emphasis and distinction this season as teams will have to guard. A defender will still be allowed to sag off of inadequate shooters, but must be in active defensive position and can’t remain in the lane more than three seconds.

17 hours ago, Iugradman said:

IU was the healthiest it had ever been against Ohio State and laid a complete egg in what was essentially an NCAA tournament play-in game.

Also, started 2 freshmen, 2 sophomores, and 1 Senior.  That’s a very young lineup. Do you even take a second to look at the reality of the situation? Or is the expectation final four and 5-5* a year and anything less is failure? Context in life goes a long way my friend. Yes we are all IU friends around here. 

In my stoned stupor I sit back wondering if you were the coach would you still post online complaining about yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I sit here wondering if he actually likes anything about IU

Senior big man Ibrahima Diallo just verbally committed to Ohio State, he tells @247Sports | Story: 247sports.com/college/basket
Probably helps IU with Brunk not that IU needed help they are in good position anyways

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

7 foot big man that can defend. That OSU class makes me nervous.

And we're off and running.  Adidas and Under Armour both with events this weekend.  Couple of quick program notes.  If a kid isn't playing 17U AAU ball, there probably won't be any stats available.  So for '21 kids such as Brown, Hopf, Kaufman, Sisley, etc., don't expect to see any numbers.  As it happens, there are no IU players of interest that I'm aware of playing on the UA 17U circuit.  Ben Carlson and Dawson Garcia play for D1 Minnesota on the Adidas circuit.  They both appeared in today's box scores but Carlson wasn't credited with any stats and Garcia's only stat was an indication he played 1 min. in the morning game.  Not sure what that's about but I'll doublecheck their numbers tomorrow.
Makes it easier for me that there are multiple players with IU interest playing on the same team --  Indiana Elite.  
Trey Galloway '20 (SG) - Indiana Elite                   
Date W / L Pts. FGM FGA 3PM 3PA FTM FTA Reb Assts. TO's  Blks. Stls.
4/13 L 8 3 8 0 3 2 2 2 0 0 0 0
4/13 W 29 12 16 1 2 4 5 7 5 1 0 1
4/14                          
4/14                          

Avg   18.5 63%   20%   86%   5 3 1 0 1
# Gms   2                      

Khristian Lander '21 (PG) - Indiana Elite 2020         Has IU Offer    
4/13 L 8 3 8 1 3 1 2 2 2 0 0 0
4/13 W 15 7 13 0 4 1 1 5 5 3 0 2
4/14                          
4/14                          

Avg   11.5 48%   14%   67%   4 4 2 0 1
# Gms   2                      

Anthony Leal '20 (SG) - Indiana Elite 2020                
4/13 L 18 7 16 4 11 0 1 4 0 0 0 1
4/13 W 13 5 7 3 5 0 1 2 1 2 0 1
4/14                          
4/14                          

Avg   15.5 52%   44%   0%   3 1 1 0 1
# Gms   2                      

Zach Loveday '20 ( C ) - Wildcats Select           Has IU Offer
4/12 W 12 5 5 1 1 1 1 6 2 0 0 0
4/13 W 10 4 10 1 4 1 1 3 1 0 1 0
4/13 L 10 3 4 0 1 0 1 10 0 0 4 0
4/14                          

Avg   10.7 63%   33%   67%   6 1 0 2 0
# Gms   3                      

Man if Lander could hold those numbers while playing up that would be pretty impressive.

Our favorite Mailman watched the Indiana Elite 2021 team play this weekend and made these observations in the Luke Brown thread and I'm copying them here.

Specific to Luke Brown:  He had rough 1st game this weekend. Scored 2 pts and those came with about 3 min to go in the game. Had trouble creating his shot and missed a lot of open shots.  Today he had a bounce back game scoring the ball and had 22 in a game.   Tre Kaufman has most upside and if he grows a couple inches and continues to get better he will have lots of high major interest moving forward. He had a couple strong games.  Curt Hopf played hard and was aggressive in some spots but he struggles with quickness and of course strength which almost every young big man needs.

The first weekend is over.  Our locally favorite team, Indiana Elite, went 3-1 on the weekend.  Neither Ben Carlson nor Dawson Garcia played for D1 Minnesota at all this weekend.  If Trey Galloway and Anthony Leal are auditioning for a scholarship, they both had strong opening AAU weekends.  

At the bottom of each kid's stats you'll see a new line of info.  Where possible, I added past high school season stats from MaxPreps or from their prep school for a quick comparison. 

Tre Coleman '20 (SF) - Indiana Elite                 
Date W / L Pts. FGM FGA 3PM 3PA FTM FTA Reb Assts. TO's  Blks. Stls. Min.
4/13 L 6 3 5 0 1 0 0 1 2 1 0 0 19
4/13 W 12 5 9 2 5 0 0 2 0 2 0 2 25
4/14 W 9 4 4 1 1 0 1 6 1 0 0 0 21
4/14 W 3 0 1 0 1 3 6 4 2 1 0 0 23

Avg   8.0 63%   38%   43%   3 1 1 0 1 22.0
# Gms AAU 4                          
# Gms MP 24 16             6 3   2 2  

Trey Galloway '20 (SG) - Indiana Elite                  
4/13 L 8 3 8 0 3 2 2 2 0 0 0 0 26
4/13 W 29 12 16 1 2 4 5 7 5 1 0 1 27
4/14 W 17 6 9 1 4 4 5 4 2 0 0 0 26
4/14 W 32 12 17 3 4 5 6 12 1 2 0 1 28

Avg   21.5 66%   38%   83%   6 2 1 0 1 27
# Gms AAU 4                          
# Gms MP 27 16.3               4     1  

Khristian Lander '21 (PG) - Indiana Elite          Has IU Offer      
4/13 L 8 3 8 1 3 1 2 2 2 0 0 0 27
4/13 W 15 7 13 0 4 1 1 5 5 3 0 2 26
4/14 W 7 3 7 1 4 0 0 6 2 0 0 0 25
4/14 W 9 3 4 1 2 2 4 2 1 4 0 2 27

Avg   9.8 50%   23%   57%   4 3 2 0 1 26
# Gms AAU 4                          
# Gms MP 23 22             4 4   2    

Anthony Leal '20 (SG) - Indiana Elite                  
4/13 L 18 7 16 4 11 0 1 4 0 0 0 1 27
4/13 W 13 5 7 3 5 0 1 2 1 2 0 1 24
4/14 W 15 4 8 3 6 4 4 3 5 0 0 0 28
4/14 W 7 3 9 0 4 1 1 1 3 0 0 2 27

Avg   13.3 48%   38%   71%   3 2 1 0 1 26.5
# Gms AAU 4                          
# Gms MP N.A.                          

Zach Loveday '20 ( C ) - Wildcats Select         Has IU Offer  
4/12 W 12 5 5 1 1 1 1 6 2 0 0 0 17
4/13 W 10 4 10 1 4 1 1 3 1 0 1 0 20
4/13 L 10 3 4 0 1 0 1 10 0 0 4 0 27
4/14 W 17 7 10 1 2 2 2 9 2 0 0 0 26

Avg   12.3 66%   38%   80%   7 1 0 1 0 23
# Gms AAU 4                          
# Gms MP N.A.                          

Nike released its game schedules today along with summaries of each participating team and its key players.  Keep in mind, the following are not exactly unbiased critiques.  

INDY HEAT - Caleb Furst  - IU Offer / Jaden Ivey / Kiyron Powell

Junior Jaden Ivey is a somewhat under-the-radar prospect, but the Heat coaching staff is extremely high on the 6-foot-3 guard. Ivey has some unique roots, as he’s the son of Niele Ivey, the starting point guard for Notre Dame on Muffet McGraw’s first national championship team in 2001. Much like his mother, Ivey is a hard-nosed, attacking point guard who competes on both ends of the floor. Ivey averaged 25.1 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 1.9 steals in 22 games for Marian (IN) in 2018-19, helping guide the Knights to a 20-4 record. Expect Ivey to put up some impressive scoring numbers as he will be relied on to lead the scoring load for the Heat.

The Heat will enter the 2019 season with three big men in their rotation, led by highly-ranked Caleb Furst. The 6-foot-10, 215-pound sophomore is highly-skilled and super productive, and he’s fresh off a 1A State Championship win for Blackhawk Christian. Furst dropped 16 points, 10 rebounds and five blocks in the state championship win, capping a season in which he averaged 19.3 points, 10.3 rebounds, and 3.2 assists per game. Furst is great in the post and is more than capable of taking you off the dribble, but his defense is what should stand out in the Heat uniform. He completed dominated on both ends during the high school season, and it will be interesting to see if he does that same against national competition.

Junior rim-protector Kiyron Powell will play big minutes alongside Furst, and the 6-foot-10 big man from Evansville Bosse (IN) should gain plenty of interest from college coaches. Powell will need to be active on the boards and stay out of foul trouble because his length and athleticism will be problematic for the opposition if he’s playing alongside Furst and the third member of the Heat’s frontcourt, Chris Conway.

EXPRESSIONS ELITE - Terrence Clarke - IU Offer

Clarke (247 No. 3) is the highest-ranked recruit in program history. Blessed with elite length and athleticism, Clarke is a bouncy wing that has a refined offensive skill-set. He has an extensive bag of tricks when attacking the basket, and his impact in the transition game will be invaluable. Clarke is coming off an impressive sophomore campaign for powerhouse Brewster Academy where he operates as the youngest player on the roster. Transferring to Brewster was terrific for Clarke's development, and the 6-foot-6 playmaker will be looking to improve on his 2018 EYBL averages of  8.6 points, 2.1 rebounds & 2.0 assists in 20 games. Clarke was a 1st-Team NEPSAC AAA selection, which is relatively unheard of in the league's toughest prep league. Clarke enters the season as 'the guy' for Expressions, and he's leaning on the experience he gained in 2018.

"After last season, I learned a lot from the older guys on the team," Clarke said. "The opportunity of playing for Expressions for a second year is a blessing especially on the best circuit in the country. I've worked tirelessly since we lost during Peach Jam. Now I want to show how much I've improved. Working with our director and coach Todd Quarles, I want to become more of a leader for this team as a returner to the league."

TEAM WHYNOT - Nimari Burnett - IU Offer

Burnett took the Nike EYBL by storm after joining the circuit midway through the 2018 campaign and he will be their unquestioned leader as they enter their second season as a program. Burnett averaged 14.8 points, 3.9 rebounds, and 1.9 assists in 16 games, and his production was ultimately a huge reason as to why Team Whynot was so successful in the back half of the season. Burnett stars for Prolific Prep (CA) during the high school season, and the 6-foot-4, 190-pound playmaker averaged 20.1 points, 8.0 assists, and 8.1 rebounds in 2018-19. The Chicago-native rarely misses an open jump shot and is super-crafty with the ball in his hands. After Burnett joined Team Why Not, he knew he was a part of something special.

"It's great," Burnett said of having Wesbrook as a mentor.  "Russell, he's always there and supportive. If he's not there, he's texting. We feel his presence everywhere we go and we just want to represent him. We just know he's a great basketball player and more importantly a great person, so we just want to go out and play well for him."

BRADLEY BEAL ELITE - Caleb Love - IU Offer

Love (247 No. 36) will operate as the highest-ranked recruit on the roster, and the 6-foot-3 combo guard will look to replace McKinney's production from a year ago. Love is extremely active on both ends of the floor, but his primary strength is attacking the defense and making plays for his teammates. Love will man the point for BBE, and his handles will be as good as anyone on the circuit. Love is adept at using screens to his advantage and usually makes the smart play as he's navigating the defense. He will have the ball in his hands often, and he should shine in this rotation. Love faced off against RJ Hampton at Made Hoops' 'The Warm Up', and the encounter did not disappoint.

MOKAN ELITE - Davion Bradford - At IU in early March

The frontcourt is heavily relying on Dante's production, so MOKAN will desperately need him to stay healthy and out of foul trouble if they have plans of competing in Division C. 7-foot, 240-pound big man Davion Bradford is an absolute load in the paint, and if he and Dante share the court together, the opposition will need a lot of luck when attacking the basket. Bradford earned conference player of the year at Melville (MO), following it with a Class 5A First Team All-State selection.

CITY ROCKS - Andre Jackson - IU Offer

Junior Andre Jackson also returns from a year ago, and the 6-foot-6 swingman wasn't able to accurately showcase why he's ranked 40th in 247 Sports Composite 2020 rankings. Jackson has elite athleticism and major bounce, and he'll definitely benefit from the implementation of the 24-second shot clock. Jackson is at his best when he's getting up and down the floor, and he loves getting after it defensively. Jackson, who helped Albany Academy (NY) take home the New York Federation A Championship, talked about the difference between this season and last.

"I will have a much bigger role on this team this upcoming season," Jackson said. "Last year I didn’t play a very big role; I played between 6-10 minutes a game. This year, I will be playing a lot more and I feel that I am very prepared to go up against the talent that the EYBL circuit brings to the table."

FAMILY DETROIT - Isaiah Jackson - IU Offer

The Family's roster features five players ranked by 247-sports, and the star duties will be split between 2018 veterans Isaiah Jackson, Jalen Terry and Carlos Johnson. The 6-foot-10 Jackson (247 No. 16) is a 5-star recruit according to every major recruiting outlet, and the junior forward is just starting to tap into his potential. Jackson is a good finisher around the basket offensively, but the bulk of his impact will be noticed on the boards and as a rim-protector. Jackson averaged 6.8 points, 5.8 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks per game in 2018, and he will enter the 2019 season on the short list of contenders to lead the EYBL in blocked shots. Jackson wants to be known as more than just a defender, evidenced by his answer when he was asked about what he's most eager to show off about his game.

"Probably my shooting," Jackson said. "I didn’t really get to shoot the ball this season because of how my team played so I think this EYBL season everybody is going to see a lot of shooting from me."

THE RENS - Ethan Morton - IU Offer

The backcourt will feature three  4-star recruits in 247 Sports 2020 rankings. 6-foot-6 point guard Ethan Morton (247 Composite No. 43) returns to the fold, and he'll take on a much bigger role in 2019. Morton averaged a modest 4.7 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 2.9 assists in 21 games a year ago, and he will likely shatter those averages this spring and summer. Morton was named the WPIAL Player of the Year in Pennsylvania after a standout junior season, and he should take on a facilitating role for Borman.