Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

2019-2020 Basketball Schedule

8 minutes ago, Josh said:

All true...but I took pride in being matched up against Duke and UNC because it made me feel like they feel our program matches up with them.  This is a step back imo.  Which is more in line with who we (unfortunately) are.

It's a step back from Duke/UNC, but it gives us something new. Seeing the same matchups every year would get a little boring for a lot of people. This is Florida State's first trip to Assembly, so that'll be cool,  plus they've been a really solid team recently. I don't think we should be concerned that this is because of them no longer seeing us as a top program. Every few years they switch it up and put us with a 'lesser' program. In 2014 we played Pittsburgh and in 2011 we played NC State.  

I wish IU was playing Pitt or some bottom dweller. I want to win consistently- including in the ACC/B1G challenge- before I worry about perception. Just win and the accolades and credibility will follow. I realize I am likely in the minority in this opinion, but IU is a mediocre team until proven otherwise and should schedule accordingly (even though the conf office actually chooses these matchups) 

I don’t care who we play. Last year proved all that matters is wins come tournament selection time. FSU comes with a much better chance of a win than a game against Duke or UNC regardless of where the program is at these days.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I don’t care who we play. Last year proved all that matters is wins come tournament selection time. FSU comes with a much better chance of a win than a game against Duke or UNC regardless of where the program is at these days.

Totally agree

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Our SOS was fine. It came down to wins. However, agreed that avoiding 250+ ranked teams should be the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

There is always a way to game the system or get a little lucky having a team slide into that last few teams in quad whatever. I’m still baffled that in 2019 we go by this system and there’s not something better out there.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

On 3/27/2019 at 9:59 PM, ccgeneral said:

11/9 - Portland State

12/3 - Florida State (B1G/ACC Challenge)

12/10 - UCONN (Jimmy V Classic)

12/21 - Notre Dame (Crossroads Classic)

Arkansas

B1G pairings

Home: Iowa, Northwestern, MSU

Home/Away: Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maryland, PSU, OSU, PU

Away: Illinois, Rutgers, Michigan

@JonRothstein: Source: Indiana will host Portland State on November 9th in Bloomington. #iubb

2 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

16-16 and 286 last year on KenPom. 

'Marching' toward 20-25 wins. Portland State, Nebraska X 2, Iowa, PSU and NW at home; and should be five more home cupcakes out of the six remaining pre-conference games. That's eleven all-but-sure-thing wins so far.

Must. Make. NCAATourney.

8 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

'Marching' toward 20-25 wins. Portland State, Nebraska X 2, Iowa, PSU and NW at home; and should be five more home cupcakes out of the six remaining pre-conference games. That's eleven all-but-sure-thing wins so far.

Must. Make. NCAATourney.

It's not about win totals anymore and I believe Portland State does nothing to help make the NCAA field . It's about quality wins, quality opponents, and - one man's opinion - I believe Indiana's bar should be far higher than just making it.  Indiana should shoot to be a top 4 seed more often than not.  To be in the conversation for Big Ten champions every season.  Portland State is nothing but a cupcake game and a check for the visitors.    I know "every team plays these games," and I understand why.  But why not Valpo?   Why not Evansville?   Why not Indiana State?     Portland State makes no sense to me.

2 hours ago, Old Friend said:

It's not about win totals anymore and I believe Portland State does nothing to help make the NCAA field . It's about quality wins, quality opponents, and - one man's opinion - I believe Indiana's bar should be far higher than just making it.  Indiana should shoot to be a top 4 seed more often than not.  To be in the conversation for Big Ten champions every season.  Portland State is nothing but a cupcake game and a check for the visitors.    I know "every team plays these games," and I understand why.  But why not Valpo?   Why not Evansville?   Why not Indiana State?     Portland State makes no sense to me.

I don’t know it seemed like they were starting going towards the quality wins being more important thing but then last year it seemed to go back more towards win/loss records with the couple mid majors making it in 

3 hours ago, Old Friend said:

With a B1G schedule we will have more than enough credible opponents . 

We need lots of wins. I can agree that in-state cupcakes would be best.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

In-state cupcakes provide a higher chance of a bad loss! We've seen this again and again. They have more to play for than a Portland St.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Lots of wins against the Portland State's of the world would land us in the NIT.   The Big Ten will win us some and lose us some.  Portland State is a no-win situation.  It's a bad win, and would probably lower our RPI

1 hour ago, MoyeNeeded said:

In-state cupcakes provide a higher chance of a bad loss! We've seen this again and again. They have more to play for than a Portland St.

No disrespect, but are we afraid of in state opponents, now?   This mentality makes me want to throw a brick through my computer.  WHAT?????   So what if we've seen losses time and again?!?!   What good did beating Jacksonville do us a year ago?    You think Duke won't play UNC Greensboro and instead play Montana State....because they're afraid of an in state loss?????   That's absurd!   SO WHAT if there's a higher chance of a loss??    It would also be a far better win!    WOW, Moye.

What’s the point in playing bad in-state teams versus bad out of state?

Also, I think last year demonstrated win total carries a lot of weight. Get the damn wins and get into the tourney. 20 game B1G schedule isn’t helping anybody.