Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

At first I was upset about Jake Forrester leaving, but not so much anymore.  He would have been a good 4-year guy, and when he signed I thought he'd be fun to see develop over time.  The staff really seemed to like him in high school, as I recall they pursued him pretty aggressively, and honestly not many people on here or other boards really understood it.

Seeing him this past year, he showed some good flashes and I liked seeing his enthusiasm on the bench.  However, he just doesn't really have a position.  His frame is pretty slight, definitely not big enough to be a big in this league.  And he doesn't have the range or game yet to be a 4 in our system, so where did that leave him?  Not sure even Jake knows the answer to that.

I would have liked to see him stay, but I think he'll ultimately be a better fit somewhere else.  I could see him ending up at Cincinnati, Pitt, Xavier, etc.

In two weeks, the N.C.A.A.’s primary legislative body, the Division I Council, will vote on a measure that could severely restrict graduate transfers. The proposed rule change would require that colleges accepting graduate transfers be docked a scholarship the next year if the transfer does not earn his secondary degree within a year.   If passed, August 1, could be the effective date and would only apply to football and men's and women's basketball.  Full story at -

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/sports/ncaa-final-four-graduate-transfers.html

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

As I said in another thread today or this weekend, we might have some activity in the transfer portal. This is coming from a former player but not my normal contact so not sure how connected they are anymore. 

Anyone know how to check the transfer portal?

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

Only select team staff have access to the actual NCAA portal. 

Maybe I have just seen links to the recruiting portals like 24/7 rivals or something like that

3 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Only select team staff have access to the actual NCAA portal. 

So, just purely out of curiosity, does a student athlete have to go through a staff member to access it or can they do it on their own?

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Maybe I have just seen links to the recruiting portals like 24/7 rivals or something like that

Yeah I think those sites are pretty quick to update their transfer lists. 

The portal is interesting to look at. Almost anyone that’s ever been involved with a program and is transferring can be put on it. A ton of football walk-ons, and things like that from all levels. Thank god for filters lol. 

Just now, bigrod said:

So, just purely out of curiosity, does a student athlete have to go through a staff member to access it or can they do it on their own?

To be put on the portal, they go to their compliance person (or whoever is the “NCAA liaison”, which is basically always compliance staff) and they take care of it. They don’t even have to go through coaches if they don’t want to. 

10 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Sorry if speculation is frowned upon here, but I would be shocked if the player in question isn’t Damezi. Just never seemed happy or invested, especially toward the end of the year. 

It wouldn't shock me, but I don't want that to happen.

He's a guy who would be best served by sticking with it and figuring out a role for himself on this team.  There's no shame in being a backup for 4 years as long as you can produce when your number is called.

Plus I've got a soft spot for him since he's from South Bend, I'll always root for him.