Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

https://theathletic.com/1318303/2019/10/25/the-thinker-hoosiers-want-athletic-justin-smith-to-analyze-less-just-play/?amp=undefined#click=https://t.co/n61KLuqVQo

I didn't read. Not a subscriber, but according to tweets about it, it is about trying to get Smith to quit thinking

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

https://theathletic.com/1318303/2019/10/25/the-thinker-hoosiers-want-athletic-justin-smith-to-analyze-less-just-play/?amp=undefined#click=https://t.co/n61KLuqVQo

I didn't read. Not a subscriber, but according to tweets about it, it is about trying to get Smith to quit thinking

Believe it also mentions how the staff wants to play TJD at the 4 and Smith at the 3.

Smith would be a much better player if he would stop thinking and just play. His athleticism is negated by the time it takes him to process a situation. I’ve been saying that for awhile now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Archie just said Devonte and Rob are no-gos for tomorrow night. I think he said Rob has a lower-abdominal issue and Devonte has a hamstring problem. 

Damn -- why are we so snakebit with injuries! I hope Rob's not gonna be hampered all season like he was last year with the concussion. 

Don't know how good we're gonna be, but would love to see us be able to compete with everybody relatively healthy. 

10 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Archie just said Devonte and Rob are no-gos for tomorrow night. I think he said Rob has a lower-abdominal issue and Devonte has a hamstring problem. 

Damn -- why are we so snakebit with injuries! I hope Rob's not gonna be hampered all season like he was last year with the concussion. 

Don't know how good we're gonna be, but would love to see us be able to compete with everybody relatively healthy. 

It might be time to ask if IU's medical staff is not doing something right or Archie is practicing them to hard? Should not have this amount of injuries two yrs in a row especially this early. It's not the NFL.  

15 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

"Lower abdominal issue?"

A hernia?

21 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I’ll wait and see if they’re available for the regular season. If a player is a bit nicked up I’d sit them out an exhibition game too. I know it gives them a chance to gel with the team but I’m good with those two being healthy when games matter.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

5 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

It's probably nothing and there's no reason to risk aggravating even a slight injury for an exhibition. If they start missing actual games we can start to worry.

I get this line of thinking, but where does it stop... If they are held out against Western Illinois, Portland State, North Alabama, & Troy some people are going to still say "I am not worried" if we were playing better teams then I would worry, ensure they are healthy by FSU/Wisconsin/BIG season etc, whatever benchmark is upcoming....

There is a reason we have the exhibition game, the early cupcakes, etc... they are important for the team to learn to play together and for every single game missed by any number of players that hurts our team moving forward for the entire year, you can never get that amount of experience back.

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

It might be time to ask if IU's medical staff is not doing something right or Archie is practicing them to hard? Should not have this amount of injuries two yrs in a row especially this early. It's not the NFL.  

Statements like this make me question whether or not some people truly understand what college sports are.   A minor hamstring problem and a lower abdominal issue which could be anything from the stomach flu to a pulled muscle.   These are not "injuries," and they have nothing to do with practicing kids too hard or anything having to do with coaches.   This is college sports.  These are fast, strong athletes with 5% body fat.  Sometimes, muscles tweak.  Sometimes, kids sit out because their bodies don't need to play against Gannon in an exhibition game and have a little problem that could use some rest. Sometimes, bodies get nicked up.  Ask Purdue football.

And people are panicking about it??  Questioning the medical staff (although there is one doc on the staff about whom I'd agree completely) AND the coach because we have two very minor injuries after 3 weeks of practice???    If we were talking about multiple concussions or multiple broken bones,  I'd get it.  But these??   Do you have any idea how hard you have to work and practice to even compete at the Big Ten level?   It's a hell of a lot more than layup lines and "knockout."   You should go to a college practice sometime.  In ANY sport.  Are you guys serious???  

I'm not saying they won't linger and I'm not saying there's no need to worry. But questioning why kids practice so hard??   That's ridiculous.

I get this line of thinking, but where does it stop... If they are held out against Western Illinois, Portland State, North Alabama, & Troy some people are going to still say "I am not worried" if we were playing better teams then I would worry, ensure they are healthy by FSU/Wisconsin/BIG season etc, whatever benchmark is upcoming....
There is a reason we have the exhibition game, the early cupcakes, etc... they are important for the team to learn to play together and for every single game missed by any number of players that hurts our team moving forward for the entire year, you can never get that amount of experience back.

Just the same as not getting the injuries back. It’s on the coaches, and medical staff, to balance gaining experience and risk of injury. Again, I’ll wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Get ready for the Armaan Franklin show.

He doesn't sound 100% based on Archie's comments today.

Miller says Armaan Franklin has had to deal with an ankle injury and illness as well so far, but he's ahead of schedule and has gotten plenty of reps so far with #iubb due to the injuries.