Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

Rick Mount told me he has helped  turned many young players into better shooters. Give them the proper tools,  and then it's all just repetition. It's up to the player to commit to putting in the reps.
Rick mount came to basketball camp when I was a kid at taylor university. I didn't care what he had to say cause he went to purdue lol. I should have listened to every word he said lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, coonhounds said:

Rick mount came to basketball camp when I was a kid at taylor university. I didn't care what he had to say cause he went to purdue lol. I should have listened to every word he said lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Agree about the PU. I had to grow up around Rick and the Walker boys. Schilling and I used to play Rick and Brian 2 on 2  in the summer's. Mount was unguardable.

36 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

No idea how to truly interpret this or what the measuring stick was.  A freshman getting this award over upperclassmen???

Indiana Basketball @IndianaMBB

Effort. Attitude.

If you follow some of the other IU bball posts, Armaan was the winner or co-winner of a bunch of the workout challenges.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

No idea how to truly interpret this or what the measuring stick was.  A freshman getting this award over upperclassmen???

Effort. Attitude.

I like it. The upperclassmen are known quantities. The future looks bright.

Effort. Attitude.
EFumypXWwAIAjfx?format=jpg%26name=900x900&key=0dedc8ca218a14b30dbdbbabe0b1f39fa7407fa38ca74f5eebd37204297eb1f1

I interpret to mean that Archie and Co. are recruiting a certain type of player. That type of player won’t back down from anyone and will work his tail off.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

That cut seemed to only open up very challenging shots but I loved the slip

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Agree. With this roster, other than Green, you probably don’t run that action with the specific intent of getting that look, though I like it a lot for him. But what I love about it is that it mitigates the post defender’s ability to either hedge the baseline runner or to front the post. All he can really do is deny baseline side. So you’ve really got 4 options: 1) the catch and shoot 3, 2) the slip, 3) if the baseline defender is trailing there is an open driving lane middle, 4) if the baseline defender is able to stay close then you’ve got a clean post feed. Very cool.

On 9/26/2019 at 11:18 AM, Stromboli said:

30% from 3 is losing basketball. At that rate don't guard him. Same with 40% from a long 2. This anecdotal junk completely ignores the trends and patterns that increase scoring efficiency, which helps IU reach this NCAA tournament fantasy. 

I've posted it before, but there's an article by ITH showing how Holtmann just left Smith unguarded, and it worked like a charm. This is not Justin's audition for the NBA. He needs to focus on rebounds, dump-offs, putbacks, and defense. He can get 12+ points a game like this, and help the team. Indiana fans aren't dopes. If he recreates himself like this and gives us some highlight dunks and jaw-dropping blocks, he'll be a fan favorite. 

https://www.insidethehall.com/2019/02/12/film-session-ohio-state-6/

I'd far rather see him on the block with his back to the basket a-la Juwon Morgan than try to develop an outside game.   Why can't he be Dennis Rodman?  Why can't he be Stacey Augmon?   Why can't he be Juwon Morgan (the on the block version)?   Why can't he be Horace Grant?   I don't need to see him shooting more than 15 three's all season.

I'd far rather see him on the block with his back to the basket a-la Juwon Morgan than try to develop an outside game.   Why can't he be Dennis Rodman?  Why can't he be Stacey Augmon?   Why can't he be Juwon Morgan (the on the block version)?   Why can't he be Horace Grant?   I don't need to see him shooting more than 15 three's all season.

Yeah I have no problem if he has the potential to be a decent shooter. Being a 50% free throw shooter should tell you what you need to know. Numerous players have been able to carve out a niche career doing other things that help a team win. But as was said on the last page, that would just make too much sense.

I really do think Justin could be a good player on a good team. Some people just can’t shoot outside a specific range. I think he could be a top 3-4 player in level of importance on a winning IU team as he has tools others just don’t have. I think we will have a good idea early on what to expect for the year. I am cautiously optimistic for this year. A lot depends on Hunter and his health. Ready for the season to get started.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I have a different take. 

Justin Smith has some extraordinary attributes: he is extremely intelligent, has incredible athleticism, and has a firm understanding of the defensive system.

I think his primary improvements need to be with his focus; in my opinion he floats and ball watches waaaaay too much. If he can remain hyper-focused at all times on the court, he will be a big asset.

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I have a different take. 

Justin Smith has some extraordinary attributes: he is extremely intelligent, has incredible athleticism, and has a firm understanding of the defensive system.

I think his primary improvements need to be with his focus; in my opinion he floats and ball watches waaaaay too much. If he can remain hyper-focused at all times on the court, he will be a big asset.

If what Archie has said is true then it sounds like he may have. 

I have a different take. 

We definitely need him to be to be successful. I think we definitely all want to be. I can’t disagree on the ball watching but last years team as a whole was bad at that. They expected Juwan or Romeo to create on every play. I do like hearing we are moving towards more of a motion style offense due to this. Not for sentimental purposes but because our last couple of teams needed continual structure offensively.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I have a different take. 

Agree that he has the traits and experience to help defensively. But I just see a glaring misfit with Archie’s offensive philosophy. Just don’t see a role on that end. At all. I would like his fit as a 4 in a really high tempo style with a lot of player movement, like Eric Musselman’s system. Maybe what Smart does. Would have been fine with Crean. In an open court game he could absolutely be a problem. But Archie’s tempo and the stuff he runs, or at least what he was running last year, really minimize Smith’s strengths. I actually think transferring would have made a ton of sense for him. Since he chose to stay, I really hope the kid finds a niche. But I don’t see it. Love to be wrong.