Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

Justin Smith is an atrocious shooter from anywhere on the court. FT shooting is probably best indicator of pure shooting stroke. He stinks from there as well. Unfortunately, despite incredible athleticism he isn’t a great finisher around the rim either.

I know I sound harsh, because I am and I’m honest.

I can tell you this much, I’m rooting so hard for the kid to figure out a way to be successful on the court. I’m less than optimistic that it’ll be as a shooter. He doesn’t have even a Troy Williams stroke that his misses are close. He needs to learn how to flash and cut and drive/dish. That’s his game, despite the glitz and glamor of the 3 point line.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Absolutely. I am probably on the more optimistic side when it comes to IU players and he is honestly one of the worst shooters I can recall. Comparing him to NBA players and their shooting ability is crazy to me. I would be happy if he just went to the rim strong. I think he has that ability to get around 10 ppg doing that. But a shooter? Nah. Not even a discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Think about where 10 feet is at on a court. You’re making post moves at 10 feet. You’re 5 feet inside the free throw line. If you’re in the paint period you arent shooting mid range.

Yes Joe. As I have stated a couple of times a mid range is anything outside of the paint. It doesn’t matter where 10 feet is on the court. If it’s outside of the paint it is still a midrange shot.

Absolutely. I am probably on the more optimistic side when it comes to IU players and he is honestly one of the worst shooters I can recall. Comparing him to NBA players and their shooting ability is crazy to me. I would be happy if he just went to the rim strong. I think he has that ability to get around 10 ppg doing that. But a shooter? Nah. Not even a discussion.

Andre Iguodala isn’t a shooter or anything close to it. He’s actually horrid like Smith. But at one point he was about Smith’s size, super athletic and one heck of a defensive player. Something Smith could easily turn into.

Andre Iguodala isn’t a shooter or anything close to it. He’s actually horrid like Smith. But at one point he was about Smith’s size, super athletic and one heck of a defensive player. Something Smith could easily turn into.

Yeah great comparison. In college Andre led Arizona as a sophomore in rebounds (8.4) assists (4.9), and steals (1.6) while scoring over 12 ppg. For being an awful shooter he shot 31.5% from 3. Oh and Andre put up that percentage while shooting about 3x as many 3’s his sophomore season. You know what Smith did as a Sophomore? He had 65 turnovers to 28 assists. 7.2 rebounds per 40 minutes. Great comparison.

Edit: “Not a great shooter” would be an upgrade.

Yeah great comparison. In college Andre led Arizona as a sophomore in rebounds (8.4) assists (4.9), and steals (1.6) while scoring over 12 ppg. For being an awful shooter he shot 31.5% from 3. Oh and Andre put up that percentage while shooting about 3x as many 3’s his sophomore season. You know what Smith did as a Sophomore? He had 65 turnovers to 28 assists. 7.2 rebounds per 40 minutes. Great comparison.

Edit: “Not a great shooter” would be an upgrade.

I think Smith could be a more athletic 35 year old Iguodala. Who looked rough last season.

You can’t rule smith out as a shooter but he needs to work on it and find a good mechanics, rhythm and confidence.

I just looked up Dane Fife’s 3 pt %
Freshman 24%
Sophomore 23%
Junior 31%
Senior 47%

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dane-fife-1.html

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You can’t rule smith out as a shooter but he needs to work on it and find a good mechanics, rhythm and confidence.

Freshman 24%
Sophomore 23%
Junior 31%
Senior 47%

I’d take a Smith shooting 31% from 3.

Freshman 24%

Sophomore 23%

Junior 31%

Senior 47%

I don’t see Smith following this trajectory, but Damezi Anderson? Sure. He was a great shooter in high school and AAU, he’s bound to get better

14 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

To tell Smith to go work on mid range instead of 3pt shots will only hurt Smith in the long run. And I’m sure a big part of the feedback he got from NBA guys was getting a 3pt shot which helps IU and helps Smith long term. Mid range nowadays is really only used by iso scorers and the popping big man in the pick and pop game.

I get what you are saying and I think you are absolutely correct, if looking at it from a Smith "I want to play in the NBA" perspective. Unfortunately we both know there is a vanishingly small chance of Justin ever playing a minute in the NBA. He is a passive tweener with terrible hands and below average skills. Besides, I'm only interested in IU winning, not NBA wish lists. Those two don't have to be mutually exclusive....but they seem to be in reality.  If the NBA is telling kids not to worry about hitting jump shots in favor of all 3's, all the time, then the NBA is broken and should be ignored. 

I get what you are saying and I think you are absolutely correct, if looking at it from a Smith "I want to play in the NBA" perspective. Unfortunately we both know there is a vanishingly small chance of Justin ever playing a minute in the NBA. He is a passive tweener with terrible hands and below average skills. Besides, I'm only interested in IU winning, not NBA wish lists. Those two don't have to be mutually exclusive....but they seem to be in reality.  If the NBA is telling kids not to worry about hitting jump shots in favor of all 3's, all the time, then the NBA is broken and should be ignored. 

If he’s worked his butt off and starts knocking down 3’s at 30%+, then it’s a success. NBA teams don’t care about players shooting mid range. If you can hit it, then you can hit it. A guy like Smith, they want to be able to hit from the corner. A 3 and D guy they can put in the corner so he can slash and get a lob or hit a corner 3. OKC did it a lot with Jerami Grant.

30% from 3 is losing basketball. At that rate don't guard him. Same with 40% from a long 2. This anecdotal junk completely ignores the trends and patterns that increase scoring efficiency, which helps IU reach this NCAA tournament fantasy. 

I've posted it before, but there's an article by ITH showing how Holtmann just left Smith unguarded, and it worked like a charm. This is not Justin's audition for the NBA. He needs to focus on rebounds, dump-offs, putbacks, and defense. He can get 12+ points a game like this, and help the team. Indiana fans aren't dopes. If he recreates himself like this and gives us some highlight dunks and jaw-dropping blocks, he'll be a fan favorite. 

https://www.insidethehall.com/2019/02/12/film-session-ohio-state-6/

Yes yes yes.

30% from 3 is losing basketball. At that rate don't guard him. Same with 40% from a long 2. This anecdotal junk completely ignores the trends and patterns that increase scoring efficiency, which helps IU reach this NCAA tournament fantasy. 

I've posted it before, but there's an article by ITH showing how Holtmann just left Smith unguarded, and it worked like a charm. This is not Justin's audition for the NBA. He needs to focus on rebounds, dump-offs, putbacks, and defense. He can get 12+ points a game like this, and help the team. Indiana fans aren't dopes. If he recreates himself like this and gives us some highlight dunks and jaw-dropping blocks, he'll be a fan favorite. 

This all day long.

4 hours ago, Stromboli said:

Do these things have to be mutually exclusive?  Why can’t he focus this offseason on getting better at shooting and still be the hustle/junkyard dog player you want?   No one is saying he should give up those things and focus on being just a shooter.  

Rick Mount told me he has helped  turned many young players into better shooters. Give them the proper tools,  and then it's all just repetition. It's up to the player to commit to putting in the reps.