Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

The reason Smith is still working on his 3pt shot is to be as versatile as possible. I also think he might play some time at the 3 at times. He also knows that he wants a shot at the NBA then he will have to be able to stretch the court and likely play as a 3. Oh and yes the midrange shot was open against Syracuse because they play a 2-3 zone and the middle of the floor is open. Cream was just to dumb to realize that. Smith isn’t who I’d put in the middle of the floor against a zone though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Completely understand and definitely agree completely on the Syracuse game. I know why Smith would want to and probably has to with the 4s and 5s we have this year. I just hope he is working equally hard if not harder on his handle and moves at or around the rim. I think he is someone that could give us great mismatches at the 3. Not on the perimeter as much. But as you alluded to his best chance at the NBA or pro basketball will be his ability to knock down a 3. My concern is will that be best for the 2019-20 Hoosiers? I hope. That dude has more physical traits than damn everyone except Troy Williams and Vic.

Yes and in baseball you don’t have defenders coming at you either. Apples and oranges Joe. Not quite like comparing a president to a shoe company but you sure do like to stick with extremes and broad paint brushes. Hasn’t really worked out well for you over the last couple of years.

Well the other guy said he had ruined baseball. So I spoke about baseball. And I just happened to hear about the strikeout record on my way home from worst last night.

Because that may be the best shot based on what the defense gave you? Are you seriously asking?

Best thing a defense can do is make someone take an 18 foot jump shot. Not many KD’s walking around to hit that.

Best thing a defense can do is make someone take an 18 foot jump shot. Not many KD’s walking around to hit that.

Yes and a defense inexplicably takes away analytically easy shots. I know. Crazy right? But yes I don’t want anyone shooting 18 footers unless they are hitting them and open. Soon our range is going to be beyond half court if you keep moving the goalposts. Anything outside of the key within the 3 point line is a midrange shot. Right? In your eyes = extreme toe touching 3 point line. First 15 foot then 18 foot. Why not an 8 footer? Also equally shocking there are mid range shots that are easier than others. I don’t know why you have to be the best player on the planet to hit them. I have personally seen many players shoot a lot of them in practice/warmups and hit them with success. Let alone games.

Yes and a defense inexplicably takes away analytically easy shots. I know. Crazy right? But yes I don’t want anyone shooting 18 footers unless they are hitting them and open. Soon our range is going to be beyond half court if you keep moving the goalposts. Anything outside of the key within the 3 point line is a midrange shot. Right? In your eyes = extreme toe touching 3 point line. First 15 foot then 18 foot. Why not an 8 footer? Also equally shocking there are mid range shots that are easier than others. I don’t know why you have to be the best player on the planet to hit them. I have personally seen many players shoot a lot of them in practice/warmups and hit them with success. Let alone games.

DeMar DeRozen has made a career out of shooting the midrange as his primary weapon

If you have no mid range game how will you ever get somebody to bite on a pumpfake. Same with driving to the hole no midrange game means your path to the basket is harder. 

So while an offense shouldn’t use many midrange shots. There’s a need for it to be a threat. 

3 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Analytics are a look back at what has happened, not a projection of what should. Perhaps the "30% from mid-range" is the result of players not practicing, therefore not having the skill to hit them, instead of it being a "difficult" shot? Lots of open looks to be had from 10-15 ft. I believe they are missed because of lack of skill, not an inherent issue with the shot.  Knocking down mid-range shots puts an enormous amount of pressure on the defense. Used to be an accepted part of basketball where well-rounded players excelled and won games. But since that's not featured on Sportscenter or youtube, we get 6'11" guys hoisting 3's instead. Yay. 

I think style has taken over substance to a large degree in basketball. It's catered to what the players want to do instead of what is effective. Lots of examples, but exhibit A? the hook shot. It's freaking unstoppable but completely ignored because it's not cool. I think that is retarded. 

Underhanded free throws and bank shots too.  I love baseball, but analytics are ruining it because there is no action now, it's merely BBs, Ks and HRs. 

30 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If you have no mid range game how will you ever get somebody to bite on a pumpfake. Same with driving to the hole no midrange game means your path to the basket is harder. 

So while an offense shouldn’t use many midrange shots. There’s a need for it to be a threat. 

Exactly- you don't want an offense built around 16ft jumpers, but having a couple guys on the floor capable of hitting them at a decent clip matters. 

All good scorers do, have to be a threat from all 3 levels. Couple exceptions obviously like D-Wade having no 3 pt shot 

And DeMar DeRozan. Even Kobe and Michael weren’t great 3pt shooters. But Kobe, MJ and Wade are the 3 greatest 2 guards of all time. DeRozan has always been considered to be inefficient because of his love for mid range. KD shot like 55% from mid range last season, but that’s KD. Justin Smith is more relatable to guys like Aaron Gordon who shot 33% from mid range and Andre Iguodala who shot 24.2%. Gordon also shot 39.1% from corner 3’s and 33.9% from the top of the key. Iguodala who is just an awful shooter shot 41% from the corners and 28% from the top. Those are guys Smith is molded after.

And no I don’t consider 8 feet to be mid range. That’s floater range nowadays.

Underhanded free throws and bank shots too.  I love baseball, but analytics are ruining it because there is no action now, it's merely BBs, Ks and HRs. 

I love bank shots. The backboard is there for a reason. Use it. Not shooting underhanded is definitely a style thing. Kids don’t want to be made fun of.

Exactly- you don't want an offense built around 16ft jumpers, but having a couple guys on the floor capable of hitting them at a decent clip matters. 

To tell Smith to go work on mid range instead of 3pt shots will only hurt Smith in the long run. And I’m sure a big part of the feedback he got from NBA guys was getting a 3pt shot which helps IU and helps Smith long term. Mid range nowadays is really only used by iso scorers and the popping big man in the pick and pop game.

3 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

DeMar DeRozen has made a career out of shooting the midrange as his primary weapon

James Blackmon had a really nice floater coming out of high school.He was deadly with it.6 months with Coach Analytics and he was driving into traffic and bring blocked at the rim most of the time.The head fake and the short jumper are a lethal weapon thats been lost in the modern game with all the Analytic BS.

And DeMar DeRozan. Even Kobe and Michael weren’t great 3pt shooters. But Kobe, MJ and Wade are the 3 greatest 2 guards of all time. DeRozan has always been considered to be inefficient because of his love for mid range. KD shot like 55% from mid range last season, but that’s KD. Justin Smith is more relatable to guys like Aaron Gordon who shot 33% from mid range and Andre Iguodala who shot 24.2%. Gordon also shot 39.1% from corner 3’s and 33.9% from the top of the key. Iguodala who is just an awful shooter shot 41% from the corners and 28% from the top. Those are guys Smith is molded after.

And no I don’t consider 8 feet to be mid range. That’s floater range nowadays.

Justin Smith shot 21.9% from 3. He also just barely got above 50% from the foul line. How many NBA players do you know that can shoot the ball have those stats (since that’s all you bring up as a comparison for him to be successful)? Yet you are comparing his game to successful NBA players. That makes a whole hell of a lot of sense. Also it doesn’t matter what yer what you consider to be a mid range shot. It’s like saying you don’t think someone that is shooting from 22 feet is a 3 point shot. Doesn’t remotely matter. It is what it is.

Justin Smith shot 21.9% from 3. He also just barely got above 50% from the foul line. How many NBA players do you know that can shoot the ball have those stats (since that’s all you bring up as a comparison for him to be successful)? Yet you are comparing his game to successful NBA players. That makes a whole hell of a lot of sense.

Those are successful NBA players who aren’t good shooters but the type of player he will be compared to.

James Blackmon had a really nice floater coming out of high school.He was deadly with it.6 months with Coach Analytics and he was driving into traffic and bring blocked at the rim most of the time.The head fake and the short jumper are a lethal weapon thats been lost in the modern game with all the Analytic BS.

It can be helpful but my god. When we are trying to say a guy is better off shooting a 3 when he is at 21% moves in to 10 feet because it’s a bad analytical shot then I think we should all collectively explain how crazy that is.

It can be helpful but my god. When we are trying to say a guy is better off shooting a 3 when he is at 21% moves in to 10 feet because it’s a bad analytical shot then I think we should all collectively explain how dumb that is. That is just idiotic.

10 feet isn’t even mid range. You’re shooting a hook shot, floater or going for the layup or dunk at that point.

It can be helpful but my god. When we are trying to say a guy is better off shooting a 3 when he is at 21% moves in to 10 feet because it’s a bad analytical shot then I think we should all collectively explain how crazy that is.

Think about where 10 feet is at on a court. You’re making post moves at 10 feet. You’re 5 feet inside the free throw line. If you’re in the paint period you arent shooting mid range.