Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

Two things -

1. We are running an offense with more motion. We need this but I will wait til I see it in action before I get giddy.

2. Why is Justin Smith still practicing his 3 pt shot? Work on your midrange. Work on your post moves. Work on your ball handling. In a motion style offense he should get tons of looks going toward the rim. I disagree with that move.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Two things -

1. We are running an offense with more motion. We need this but I will wait til I see it in action before I get giddy.

2. Why is Justin Smith still practicing his 3 pt shot? Work on your midrange. Work on your post moves. Work on your ball handling. In a motion style offense he should get tons of looks going toward the rim. I disagree with that move.

Him practicing the 3 leads me to believe he’s starting and Hunter is not and Archie is trying to add some 3 point shooting to the starting line up. 

Him practicing the 3 leads me to believe he’s starting and Hunter is not and Archie is trying to add some 3 point shooting to the starting line up. 
Couldn't also be Hunter is a better shooter than Justin and he is practicing to get better at the 3 because Jerome is starting.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Two things -

Because it is easier to shoot a 3 than to shoot mid range. Mid range is considered a high risk-low reward shot. Just one of the evolutions of basketball. I think Stan Van Gundy was one of the first who was huge about shooting only layups and 3’s.

Because it is easier to shoot a 3 than to shoot mid range. Mid range is considered a high risk-low reward shot. Just one of the evolutions of basketball. I think Stan Van Gundy was one of the first who was huge about shooting only layups and 3’s.

Joe, it is not easier to shoot a 3 pt shot over a mid range. Because analytics show it as a high risk low reward doesn’t make it a more difficult shot. It’s high risk low reward because a layup is also worth 2 points. Crean also subscribed to that theory and it went a long way towards us losing against Syracuse. Watch that game and tell me a midrange game wouldn’t have helped.

Joe, it is not easier to shoot a 3 pt shot over a mid range. Because analytics show it as a high risk low reward doesn’t make it a more difficult shot. It’s high risk low reward because a layup is also worth 2 points.

Have you looked into the percentages players shoot from 15 ft+ that’s inside the 3 pt line to prove me wrong?

Have you looked into the percentages players shoot from 15 ft+ that’s inside the 3 pt line to prove me wrong?

Why don’t you watch the IU vs Syracuse game and tell me a mid range game wouldn’t have helped. Not everything is analytics Joe. You still have to play the game.

Joe, it is not easier to shoot a 3 pt shot over a mid range. Because analytics show it as a high risk low reward doesn’t make it a more difficult shot. It’s high risk low reward because a layup is also worth 2 points. Crean also subscribed to that theory and it went a long way towards us losing against Syracuse. Watch that game and tell me a midrange game wouldn’t have helped.

Its a high risk because of the difficulty of the shot.

Its a high risk because of the difficulty of the shot.

Again a 15 foot shot is not more difficult than a 22 foot shot. You explicitly said, “a 3 pt shot is more difficult than a midrange shot.” It’s a high risk due to the probability of a make when you are hitting a layup versus a midrange shot and getting the same result of 2 points. That’s what analytics tell you. Again, that’s great and all, but you need a midrange game. At what level have you seen a midrange not been utilized 100%? Guessing a big fat zero.

Again a 15 foot shot is not more difficult than a 22 foot shot. You explicitly said, “a 3 pt shot is more difficult than a midrange shot.” It’s a high risk due to the probability of a make when you are hitting a layup versus a midrange shot and getting the same result of 2 points. That’s what analytics tell you. Again, that’s great and all, but you need a midrange game. At what level have you seen a midrange not been utilized 100%? Guessing a big fat zero.

In today’s basketball game, you don’t need a mid range shot. Is it nice to have? Sure. Not many are great at it. You absolute best players like KD, Harden, Curry have it. But now even big men have went away from shooting mid range and went to the 3.

You’re not proving my wrong at all. Analytics say shoot the 3 instead for a couple reasons. Mid range is still only 2 points and it’s a low percentage shot. Why shoot 30% from mid range when you can shoot 30% from 3?

Why don’t you watch the IU vs Syracuse game and tell me a mid range game wouldn’t have helped. Not everything is analytics Joe. You still have to play the game.

Analytics, the worst thing to happen in sports, especially baseball

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Analytics, the worst thing to happen in sports, especially baseball

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You just have to manage it correctly. In baseball it says to hit big. So that’s what trans do. Probably why the strikeout record for the league was set last night for the 12th season in a row.

You’re not proving my wrong at all. Analytics say shoot the 3 instead for a couple reasons. Mid range is still only 2 points and it’s a low percentage shot. Why shoot 30% from mid range when you can shoot 30% from 3?

Because that may be the best shot based on what the defense gave you? Are you seriously asking?

You just have to manage it correctly. In baseball it says to hit big. So that’s what trans do. Probably why the strikeout record for the league was set last night for the 12th season in a row.

Yes and in baseball you don’t have defenders coming at you either. Apples and oranges Joe. Not quite like comparing a president to a shoe company but you sure do like to stick with extremes and broad paint brushes. Hasn’t really worked out well for you over the last couple of years.

Because that may be the best shot based on what the defense gave you? Are you seriously asking?

The reason Smith is still working on his 3pt shot is to be as versatile as possible. I also think he might play some time at the 3 at times. He also knows that he wants a shot at the NBA then he will have to be able to stretch the court and likely play as a 3. Oh and yes the midrange shot was open against Syracuse because they play a 2-3 zone and the middle of the floor is open. Cream was just to dumb to realize that. Smith isn’t who I’d put in the middle of the floor against a zone though.