Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

44 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I was wondering that too. Another poster wondered if Smith would grad transfer? Maybe Race? Especially if IU gets Matt Cross. We will see. Think he has two open spots as of now. 

Interesting question.  Looking over the roster, I'm having a hard time finding minutes for Anderson and maybe for Thompson.  Last season, we had a pretty clear bottom...guys who wouldn't play.  If Hunter's healthy and can play a normal season, he'll take minutes from Durham, Franklin, Thompson, and Smith.  Smith's a kid who'd better get it figured out this season, or he'll be outside looking in, too.    We only have 11 players, but I love our depth and our size.   I think he and everyone are being careful with words about Hunter because he's not in the clear until....he is.  

Thanks for that terrific synopsis above.  A couple of takeaways...   I agree with him about Brunk.  That was a fantastic add.  Said so at the time and believe it even more now.  He has a personality IU fans will absolutely love.    Nice to hear about Green.  I saw some of that late last season, and I'm glad he substantiated what I thought I saw.  I love and have always loved Phinisee.  I know Archie didn't recruit him so may not have known what he was getting, but I still say by the time that kid graduates, he'll be high on many fans' "favorites" list.   I wish he hadn't had the concussion last season.

I'm sold on the guy.  Not because of anything he said tonight or anything in his background.  I am sold specifically because he's no BS and because I saw him learn a year ago.  I saw a difference in the way his kids played (Green in particular), which means they bought in; I see a difference in recruiting; and I saw kids leave who weren't going to succeed here.   Overall, I'm a buyer.

Awesome time tonight!! Evening started with IU Board Member Pat Shoulders with introductions. Easy to say that Pat is sold on Archie.

Let’s make sure Tiny didn’t get arrested visiting his buddy Pat. We might have to start a gofundme for bail.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It sounds like Archie and some of the fans are at odds in their assessment of Justin Smith's role this coming season. Archie predicts Smith could be All-Big Ten defensive player this season while more than a couple of posters here think Smith will be odd-man out this year and could be a graduate transfer after this season (presumably due to lack of playing time). I hope Archie is correct and Smith has an All-Big Ten Defensive player season. I believe Archie when he says that Trayce Jackson-Davis could be the most talented player on the team. By conference season, TJD could be playing at a very high level. And, yes Joey Brunk is a great addition and will help improve the team's chemistry.

34 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

It sounds like Archie and some of the fans are at odds in their assessment of Justin Smith's role this coming season. Archie predicts Smith could be All-Big Ten defensive player this season while more than a couple of posters here think Smith will be odd-man out this year and could be a graduate transfer after this season (presumably due to lack of playing time). I hope Archie is correct and Smith has an All-Big Ten Defensive player season. I believe Archie when he says that Trayce Jackson-Davis could be the most talented player on the team. By conference season, TJD could be playing at a very high level. And, yes Joey Brunk is a great addition and will help improve the team's chemistry.

Justin Smith WILL start.

There was a lot of speculation on this board that Damezi would transfer after last season. Since he stayed and apparently has busted his a$$, I hope he's rewarded and becomes a solid contributor. He was the guy we needed to come off the bench, provide 15-20 solid minutes and knock down some 3s. But he looked slow and out of sorts -- nothing like a B1G player. I hope he makes a big jump this season. I like this kid and want to see him do well. 

My hopes are the same for Dame

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Phinisee, Green, Smith, TJD, Brunk. 

With Al, Hunter and Davis off the bench?  

Race, Damezi and Armaan competing for playing time 

If I had to venture a guess this is where I would be, but maybe with a little more Damezi thrown in.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

If I had to venture a guess this is where I would be, but maybe with a little more Damezi thrown in.

If Smith is starting and Hunter is the real deal just don’t see where his minutes would come from. 

I do think somebody is bound to leave after this year for lack of PT 

8 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Interesting question.  Looking over the roster, I'm having a hard time finding minutes for Anderson and maybe for Thompson.  Last season, we had a pretty clear bottom...guys who wouldn't play.  If Hunter's healthy and can play a normal season, he'll take minutes from Durham, Franklin, Thompson, and Smith.  Smith's a kid who'd better get it figured out this season, or he'll be outside looking in, too.    We only have 11 players, but I love our depth and our size.   I think he and everyone are being careful with words about Hunter because he's not in the clear until....he is.  

Thanks for that terrific synopsis above.  A couple of takeaways...   I agree with him about Brunk.  That was a fantastic add.  Said so at the time and believe it even more now.  He has a personality IU fans will absolutely love.    Nice to hear about Green.  I saw some of that late last season, and I'm glad he substantiated what I thought I saw.  I love and have always loved Phinisee.  I know Archie didn't recruit him so may not have known what he was getting, but I still say by the time that kid graduates, he'll be high on many fans' "favorites" list.   I wish he hadn't had the concussion last season.

I'm sold on the guy.  Not because of anything he said tonight or anything in his background.  I am sold specifically because he's no BS and because I saw him learn a year ago.  I saw a difference in the way his kids played (Green in particular), which means they bought in; I see a difference in recruiting; and I saw kids leave who weren't going to succeed here.   Overall, I'm a buyer.

I still am too. I said when he was hired that it was going to take some time. I thought getting Romeo would speed the process up. No doubt this is a big year for him. But if they can get in the tournament they have some momentum going into next season and a very good 2021 class on the horizon. 

28 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Phinisee, Green, Smith, TJD, Brunk. 

With Al, Hunter and Davis off the bench?  

Race, Damezi and Armaan competing for playing time 

If this lineup works then I think that is VERY good for IU. Smith at the 3 and TJD at the 4! I do think someone could leave due to lack of PT. 

8 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

If this lineup works then I think that is VERY good for IU. Smith at the 3 and TJD at the 4! I do think someone could leave due to lack of PT. 

Ideally smith will have become a serviceable 3 point shooter. And then that line up will have 2 good and 1 serviceable starting and then hopefully 2 good shooters on the bench. 

Need to do our best to keep 3 of them in the game at all times 

I guess I just don’t see how Justin Smith starts on the wing. Especially if TJD and Brunk are starting in the front court. That’s 3 players on the court who have no ability to handle the ball or shoot outside of 10 feet.

Obviously Smith can improve his shot, but I just don’t see him improving his handle enough to be a consistent player out on the wing. He is a a front court player and I do not see that changing. I have too many memories of him passing up an open shot on the wing only to barrel into the defense for a charge. But, hope he really surprises me and you guys are correct.

Now how he, TJD, Brunk, DeRon, and race split minutes between the two front court positions is interesting to me. Race is the only one I see as having the opportunity to be a stretch forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Ideally smith will have become a serviceable 3 point shooter. And then that line up will have 2 good and 1 serviceable starting and then hopefully 2 good shooters on the bench. 

Need to do our best to keep 3 of them in the game at all times 

I believe Archie said yesterday that Smith was one of the most improved players on the team, so hopefully he's at least good enough to keep teams honest from 3. His defensive versatility is great and gives the team a ton of flexibility, so if he's figured out his role on offense and expanded his skill set, he could be one of our most valuable players. The nice thing is that there's actually depth on the front line this year, so they have better options than Fitzner/Moore/Forrester if he's not performing.

But definitely agreed that we need at least 3 serviceable+ 3 point shooters on the court at all times. Archie said that they're going to play a lot of size, which is fine as TJD and Smith are both very athletic, but if we don't have shooters the offense is going to bog down like it did last year, no matter how much size we have inside.

2 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I guess I just don’t see how Justin Smith starts on the wing. Especially if TJD and Brunk are starting in the front court. That’s 3 players on the court who have no ability to handle the ball or shoot outside of 10 feet.

Obviously Smith can improve his shot, but I just don’t see him improving his handle enough to be a consistent player out on the wing. He is a a front court player and I do not see that changing. I have too many memories of him passing up an open shot on the wing only to barrel into the defense for a charge. But, hope he really surprises me and you guys are correct.

Now how he, TJD, Brunk, DeRon, and race split minutes between the two front court positions is interesting to me. Race is the only one I see as having the opportunity to be a stretch forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This is spot on. I see no way Justin ever improves his handle on the court enough to play the 3. Having Justin, Trayce, and Joey on the court at the same time would make us really easy to guard and give us major issues on D