Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

15 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Stuhoo’s projected lineup is the lineup that gives me hope. I think that lineup could be pretty slick if Devonte and Phin and shoot around 40% from three.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Remember; they're moving the three point line back about a foot and a half this year. Anyone with extended usage and over about 37% will be quite good. 40% with a lot of attempts will be nationally notable.

The NIT the past year used the new extended line:

"The 3-point shooting percentage of teams in the 2019 NIT was 33%, compared with their regular season average of 35.2%.Jun 6, 2019"

After the shell shock of the past several seasons, a healthy dose of skepticism is warranted. However, I see a team with tremendous growth potential and one that can begin to build the continuity we've been missing. I really like the guys we are recruiting and what they can bring. Last year everything that could go wrong went wrong. I don't think anyone on the team wants to go through that again. This group has the potential, and I think they will, to be greater than the some of the parts. I'm not an overly optimistic person, just ask my wife! But I think the coming season is going to be a lot of fun.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Remember; they're moving the three point line back about a foot and a half this year. Anyone with extended usage and over about 37% will be quite good. 40% with a lot of attempts will be nationally notable.

The NIT the past year used the new extended line:

"The 3-point shooting percentage of teams in the 2019 NIT was 33%, compared with their regular season average of 35.2%.Jun 6, 2019"

On the flip side the pack line might suffer because the change 

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

On the flip side the pack line might suffer because the change 

I'm not sure that's true, but I see your point. The packline is susceptible to skip passes and long distance shooting. I suppose further expanding offensive spacing will be bad for packline teams. However, I think it's more likely that reduced shooting percentages from three will make teams focus more on interior offense, and that's where the packline thrives. 

18 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm not sure that's true, but I see your point. The packline is susceptible to skip passes and long distance shooting. I suppose further expanding offensive spacing will be bad for packline teams. However, I think it's more likely that reduced shooting percentages from three will make teams focus more on interior offense, and that's where the packline thrives. 

In the short term you are probably right but as shooting percentages rise as they surely will Archie may have to make adjustments. There’s a reason the pack line was pretty much a college system. 

EDIT 

Part of me wonders if we will see more college coaches adding NBA guys to their staffs for this reason. 

11 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

In the short term you are probably right but as shooting percentages rise as they surely will Archie may have to make adjustments. There’s a reason the pack line was pretty much a college system. 

I really think that the degree of success CAM has will depend on his ability to tweak his offensive and defensive systems. I believe this will be a big part of his growth process. The last two years have to have been humbling for a person as competitive as he is reported to be. Rigidity is not your friend at this level.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

• Phinisee
  • Green
  • Hunter
  • TJD
  • Davis/Brunk

Smith, Durham, Davis/Brunk off the bench.  Hmmmmm.....

Archie seems unwilling to take Smith out of the lineup.  I'd guess he gets the start over Hunter

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

After the shell shock of the past several seasons, a healthy dose of skepticism is warranted. However, I see a team with tremendous growth potential and one that can begin to build the continuity we've been missing. I really like the guys we are recruiting and what they can bring. Last year everything that could go wrong went wrong. I don't think anyone on the team wants to go through that again. This group has the potential, and I think they will, to be greater than the some of the parts. I'm not an overly optimistic person, just ask my wife! But I think the coming season is going to be a lot of fun.

I want to believe! The last 3 seasons have been worse then the first few Crean years, because I knew IU would suck then. Having talent and completely floundering gets old fast. So I'm ready to get rid of the taste of abject failure and disappointment. Bring on exceeding expectations!

I like Stuhoo's line-up. If Hunter is healthy there is real potential. IMO the more Smith plays the less IU wins, unless he has improved 486%.  

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Who are you referring to as an option?

You know our roster from last season.  You didn't find Smith's starts and minutes odd based upon his production?

Just now, Josh said:

You know our roster from last season.  You didn't find Smith's starts and minutes odd based upon his production?

And who was a better option for those minutes?  Seems you won’t answer that? 

Fitzner?Jake and Moore who already had a foot out the door? Race who was concussed most of the year?  Damezi?  

Who didn’t play meaningful minutes that could have taken Smiths?

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

And who was a better option for those minutes?  Seems you won’t answer that? 

Fitzner?Jake and Moore who already had a foot out the door? Race who was concussed most of the year?  Damezi?  

Who didn’t play meaningful minutes that could have taken Smiths?

I think you use the bench to motivate.  I would have liked to see Jake eat a lot of Smith's minutes.

34 minutes ago, Josh said:

He had options.  He just seemed unwilling to use them for whatever reason.  Put my money on Smith starting again this season.

It's been well documented that I'm not a fan of Smith but we didn't have any other options last season. Maybe Race if he wouldn't have been hurt for so long. 

41 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Sadly I 100% agree and that notion worries me, unless Smith figures a lot of things out.

Trying to find a silver lining --  maybe he has.  With his play and his father's tweets it seemed almost a given to me that he would not be on the roster this season and yet here he is.  Hopefully, for everyone's sake he has figured things out because if he has and if Jerome is fully cleared to play, we could actually be looking at an exciting year.  2 big 'ifs' but.............!

And so the preseason hype begins...

I’m as optimistic as anyone but I just can’t get as pumped as I typically do. There’s too many questions to be answered.

- can Phin stay healthy and have a frosh to soph jump
- can Green be consistently solid and LEAD?
- can we get solid play from back court back ups in Durham, Anderson, or Franklin
- is Hunter healthy and able to contribute as part of a “big 3”
- is Smith past is give a damn inconsistencies, will Archie replace him if not
- can Jackson-Davis, Brunk, or Davis be able to help and recover
- can we get solid play from our bench in the front court

I would love Stuhoo’s lineup but I just don’t see it. Unfortunately, I see us staying small again to start the season.

- Phin
- Green
- Durham
- Smith
- Jackson-Davis

I wouldn’t even mind a lineup of
- Phin
- Green
- Hunter
- Smith
- Jackson-Davis

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners