Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

No. I don’t blame them, they are just going through a process offered to them but there are 1,000 players in college as talented as these three and the nba cannot focus/care about them. It’s actually a retraction from the top 100 that actually have a chance. There just isn’t enough time nor eyeballs to do everyone justice

What feedback are they actually expecting? None of them them are close/on the cusp that one little thing will put them over the top. They all need to improve a ton and any quality coach like Archie can guide them on those things

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Disagree about them all being far away. Devonte if he could improve his decision making and be good Devonte consistently would be ready. So while certainly not little but one thing. 

And maybe Al and Justin want to know what to prioritize first and foremost knowing they have multiple issues. It sometimes if very useful to be told your priorities and not just your tasks. 

2 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

No. I don’t blame them, they are just going through a process offered to them but there are 1,000 players in college as talented as these three and the nba cannot focus/care about them. It’s actually a retraction from the top 100 that actually have a chance. There just isn’t enough time nor eyeballs to do everyone justice

What feedback are they actually expecting? None of them them are close/on the cusp that one little thing will put them over the top. They all need to improve a ton and any quality coach like Archie can guide them on those things

Excuse me, but where in the rule does it say anything about top 100 players only?

And you had better believe the NBA casts a much, much, much broader net to find their players than the top 100 NCAA and international players. The idea that scouts find this process annoying doesn't reflect any conversation I've ever had with a scout.

It's also ridiculous to think that they're going to get the same advice from Archie that they'd get from the league just because we know Archie is a quality coach. They might, they might not. Put a quality player in front of ten quality coaches and they are going to have some different opinions as coaching philosophies obviously vary. Boeheim, a quality coach, thought Michael Carter-Williams wasn't ready for the NBA... Carter-Williams is in his 7th season in the league now. So there's some evidence that a quality coach might disagree with other quality coaching assessments, if you needed any.

I'm all for players being able to declare for the draft, get evaluated and then return to school if they so desire. But I still think the whole process needs to be expedited. I'm guessing coaches have a pretty decent idea of who will return and who won't, but May 29 (this year's deadline for pulling out of the draft) seems awfully late to be juggling puzzle pieces and figuring out what your roster will look like going forward.

7 hours ago, Aeggie said:

Excuse me, but where in the rule does it say anything about top 100 players only?

And you had better believe the NBA casts a much, much, much broader net to find their players than the top 100 NCAA and international players. The idea that scouts find this process annoying doesn't reflect any conversation I've ever had with a scout.

It's also ridiculous to think that they're going to get the same advice from Archie that they'd get from the league just because we know Archie is a quality coach. They might, they might not. Put a quality player in front of ten quality coaches and they are going to have some different opinions as coaching philosophies obviously vary. Boeheim, a quality coach, thought Michael Carter-Williams wasn't ready for the NBA... Carter-Williams is in his 7th season in the league now. So there's some evidence that a quality coach might disagree with other quality coaching assessments, if you needed any.

Boeheim has always appeared to me to be a selfish, self-serving SOB! That’s why he told MCW he wasn’t ready.

I think it’s a good thing that they declare as others have stated. I’ll take it one further for Justin Smith’s sake....maybe he will be told some similar truths about his game that Archie and the staff have been preaching and he will finally understand what needs to be done. Then he will come in with a chip on his shoulder and reach some of his potential. My dream lol

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

9 minutes ago, Hoosier116 said:

I think it’s a good thing that they declare as others have stated. I’ll take it one further for Justin Smith’s sake....maybe he will be told some similar truths about his game that Archie and the staff have been preaching and he will finally understand what needs to be done. Then he will come in with a chip on his shoulder and reach some of his potential. My dream lol

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Good point maybe Archie and staff encouraged it in the hopes this is a wake up call

17 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

MCW is also widely regarded as a bust, so probably not the best example to use. 

He didn't live up to his draft position but he has been in the league for seven years which is well over the average length of an NBA career. He certainly didn't leave college too early, staying wasn't going to make him anymore capable of becoming an NBA all-star. He's just not special enough physically at that level. 

He might "only" make 20 or 30 million in his career but I know I wouldn't consider that a failure, personally. 

5 minutes ago, Aeggie said:

He didn't live up to his draft position but he has been in the league for seven years which is well over the average length of an NBA career. He certainly didn't leave college too early, staying wasn't going to make him anymore capable of becoming an NBA all-star. He's just not special enough physically at that level. 

He might "only" make 20 or 30 million in his career but I know I wouldn't consider that a failure, personally. 

His physical attributes aren't the problem. He has great size for a point guard at 6'6. His problem was that he's a point guard who can't shoot. Career 40/25/70 splits and a career 47% TS%. He's played for 6 teams in 7 seasons and hasn't played more than 54 games in a year over the past four years. He wasn't some second round or unstaffed player. He was a lottery pick. Maybe staying wouldn't have helped him at all, but it wasn't an outrageous thing for Boeheim to say when you look at how his career has panned out. 

11 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

Agree. A pretty well compensated Bust!

If money is all that matters then not even Anthony Bennett was a bust. Romeo is predicted to be drafted in a similar position as MCW. If he follows the same career trajectory then pretty much everyone would agree that his career was disappointing. 

35 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

His physical attributes aren't the problem. He has great size for a point guard at 6'6. His problem was that he's a point guard who can't shoot. Career 40/25/70 splits and a career 47% TS%. He's played for 6 teams in 7 seasons and hasn't played more than 54 games in a year over the past four years. He wasn't some second round or unstaffed player. He was a lottery pick. Maybe staying wouldn't have helped him at all, but it wasn't an outrageous thing for Boeheim to say when you look at how his career has panned out. 

He's been in the league for 7 years which means he's almost certainly been practicing and working on becoming a better basketball player for 50 or 60 hours per week. If he was capable of developing a shot, it would've happened by now. People can't see hand-eye coordination like they can length or height but people have maximum potential there just like in physical categories. I say all of that to say that I've never heard of MCW not being a hard worker so it looks like he's maximizing his potential. I didn't say Boeheim said anything outrageous, but I thought he was wrong at the time and still think he's wrong in hindsight. The point was that reasonable basketball minds frequently disagree on players.

27 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If money is all that matters then not even Anthony Bennett was a bust. Romeo is predicted to be drafted in a similar position as MCW. If he follows the same career trajectory then pretty much everyone would agree that his career was disappointing. 

Truth! And if we’ll managed, his family will be set for generations.

I will excuse you for quoting my post and then fabricating your own narrative to reply to. I said none of the things you argue against

11 hours ago, Deserthoozier said:

Agree. A pretty well compensated Bust!

He is 27 and through  the end of this season (his 6th) his total career earnings are 14,250,000.

I’ll have to check old pay stubs but I think that is at least double what I made by the time I was 27. :)