Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

1 hour ago, Bailey7878 said:

Ok I will not post anything about this guy anymore. I get it you guys like him and I dont think we should offer him. Pretty simple but I will just sit back and read. 

Where are you drawing your opinion from?

Mooney’s top 3 Texas Tech, Northwestern, and Creighton. Tech just lost 4 of their 5 starters and many predicted them to have a down year because they lost so much. Some picked them to finish last. I looked at the other schools recruiting him. Now what? Maybe Mooney picked a school that looked like an opportunity for more playing time. I’m sure shooting guard grad transfers had 0 interest in Indiana once a top 6 McDonald’s All-American shooting guard freshman committed to Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Silly facts. How dare you ruin his talking points.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Zero hype or enthusiasm behind IUBB right now.

Our coaching staff hasn’t demonstrated they have a recipe for success. The recruits we have signed versus the ones we passed over (Henry/Moretti) tend to make me question talent evaluation or the ability to put players in a position to succeed.

Aside from TJD and Romeo we have become almost Crean-like in whiffing on recruiting targets. Definitely not blue blood level recruiting or even close Brother Sean level recruiting.

Our offense is just painful to watch. Virtually every game.

I haven’t hit the panic button yet but I have it at arms length.

I realize many people on this board try really hard to find the positive side of things and find a silver lining.

I don’t see any legitimate reason to have high hope at this time besides just blind trust that Archie will figure it out because he was decent/slightly above decent at Dayton.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Iugradman said:

Reid Travis went to Kentucky. Matt Mooney went to Texas Tech. The top grad transfers do not have a high interest level in Indiana. Look at the other schools recruiting them.

Joe Cremo was just as sought after after Matt Mooney was on the grad transfer track.  He came there from Albany averaging 18 points/4 rebounds/ 4 assists and shot 46% from three.  He was a bust.  Tremaine Isabell was as sought after as Mooney.  He went to St.Louis.

So all I'm really hearing you say is that IU can't attract 'top grad transfers' by how you define them once the season is done and eliminate the guys who don't fit your mantra.

The one grad transfer IU did land so far under Archie was terrible. Texas Tech was coming off an Elite Eight season. Who cares about preseason predictions. Chris Beard had a track record of success. Archie does not at IU. The fact remains nothing about IU sticks out to top grad transfers who have numerous schools courting them.

Cool. What did Northwestern and St Louis have that stuck out for top grad transfers who had numerous schools courting them? Those 2 schools landed top grad transfers last year. You act like top grad transfers won’t sniff in IU’s direction because nothing sticks out when in reality top grad transfers pick teams in a lot worse shape then IU.

The one grad transfer IU did land so far under Archie was terrible. Texas Tech was coming off an Elite Eight season. Who cares about preseason predictions. Chris Beard had a track record of success. Archie does not at IU. The fact remains nothing about IU sticks out to top grad transfers who have numerous schools courting them.

So you are discounting the four years of Archie doing what he did at Dayton and then saying Beard had a track record of success before this season? How? I would fire Archie myself to hire Beard today, but 30-5 at Little Rock, 18-14 and 27-10 at Tech is a track record of success? Disagree and it’s hilarious to watch you at various sites talking about how happy you would be with various coaches and yet you were one of the most miserable during Crean’s best years. Interesting

It's obvious you don't know the history of Dayton basketball if you saying that Miller was 'decent/slightly above decent' there.  
Miller coached there six years.  He made the tournament four times there (his last four years).  In the prior 21 seasons, they had made the tournament 4 times.
He owns the highest winning percentage of any coach in their history.   They first joined a conference in 1988;  he won 67% of his A-10 games and has the highest winning percentage in conference play of any A-10 coach.  His average record at Dayton was 23-10.

Fair. He was good at a mid major conference.

He has pedigree. That right now is our only hope because the on/off court hasn’t provided any boost of confidence.

I’m rooting for him because I think our relevance at landing top tier coaches is diminishing as the landscape of CBB is changing.

See UCLAs struggle and guys like Tony Bennett and Mark Few staying at lesser historical programs and competing well with the big boys.

I think we are running out of time and prestige. It’ll be the almighty dollar as our saving grace if we choose to spend it.

I think it is fair to say that with several different coaches IU has not had much success with grad transfers. Max was great and Nick was pretty good but we have apparently been after many that said no and the ones not named Max or Nick that said yes were not so successful.

That being said, I have no idea what the hit rate is for grad transfers. Maybe we are doing well because most of these kids don’t work out.

Since those 2 were Crean guys it would be good to have Archie have some success with these kids.

Lots of yada yada yada on here but the reality is that 2018-19 is over and we are looking at 2019-20 now.  At this moment our starting lineup is 1) Phinisee, 2) Green, 3) Durham, 4) Smith, and 5) Davis.  I don't care where they come from, whether it is an improved player from off the bench, an incoming Freshman, or from someone off the grad transfer list, from this moment on we are looking for players that can BEAT SOMEONE OUT!  I don't want to know how good they will be in 3 or 4 years.  I want to know how good they will be next year, because if we are locked in to that starting five, I don't see significant improvement, though some improvement is to be expected from individual players from one year to the next.  I'm looking for players that make those five look over their shoulders every day and make them bust their butts to stay on top.  Any player that comes to IU and doesn't have a chip on their shoulder and looking for a spot to play, is probably a waste.  Nothing given and everything earned has to be the way to the future.

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I think it is fair to say that with several different coaches IU has not had much success with grad transfers. Max was great and Nick was pretty good but we have apparently been after many that said no and the ones not named Max or Nick that said yes were not so successful.

That being said, I have no idea what the hit rate is for grad transfers. Maybe we are doing well because most of these kids don’t work out.

Since those 2 were Crean guys it would be good to have Archie have some success with these kids.

Grad transfers transfer for a reason, usually it is because they were not that successful where they came from and they are looking for the greener grass on the other side of the fence.  If they were great, they probably wouldn't be leaving their old school.  Sometimes they are right.  More often than not they are not.

1 minute ago, BottomLine said:

Grad transfers transfer for a reason, usually it is because they were not that successful where they came from and they are looking for the greener grass on the other side of the fence.  If they were great, they probably wouldn't be leaving their old school.  Sometimes they are right.  More often than not they are not.

The exception might be the player from a small school without a graduate program that has already graduated.

19 minutes ago, BottomLine said:

Lots of yada yada yada on here but the reality is that 2018-19 is over and we are looking at 2019-20 now.  At this moment our starting lineup is 1) Phinisee, 2) Green, 3) Durham, 4) Smith, and 5) Davis.  I don't care where they come from, whether it is an improved player from off the bench, an incoming Freshman, or from someone off the grad transfer list, from this moment on we are looking for players that can BEAT SOMEONE OUT!  I don't want to know how good they will be in 3 or 4 years.  I want to know how good they will be next year, because if we are locked in to that starting five, I don't see significant improvement, though some improvement is to be expected from individual players from one year to the next.  I'm looking for players that make those five look over their shoulders every day and make them bust their butts to stay on top.  Any player that comes to IU and doesn't have a chip on their shoulder and looking for a spot to play, is probably a waste.  Nothing given and everything earned has to be the way to the future.

Well, you got straight to the Bottom Line, didn't you?

14 minutes ago, BottomLine said:

Plenty of grad transfers from mid-majors are great players who didn’t get recruited by big-time programs out of high school for whatever reason, but now have that option due to a great/good career at a mid-major.