Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

I know somebody who has spoken to one of them.  Obviously we are not going to agree on this subject but I am just telling you his leash is not as long as you might think it is. Missing the tourney for a third straight year is not going to make for a good environment period. 

How long do you think I think his leash is?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

50 minutes ago, wirenuts said:

After the 12 game stretch, there was quite a bit of positive momentum. No, they did not make the tournament, and came out really flat against wichita st but they also beat some really good teams in the next set of games after that stretch. There is no substitute for a strong work ethic. I feel as though quite a few players did not have that, and with the injuries that they had, I'm suprised that they were able to beat the teams that they did. This was one of the poorest shooting teams that I can remember at IU, hands down. Virginia just showed what the ceiling is for a team that can defend and shoot. This next year's team needs improvement in shooting in the worst way, and I believe that they will get that. Archie is the guy, we need patience.....

I agree the team needs shooting but I'm hesitant to say different players is the fix.  It's not at all unusual for Miller's teams to struggle with shooting and are always terrible at the line; that's a trend that tells me it's not all on the players.

2 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

I know somebody who has spoken to one of them.  Obviously we are not going to agree on this subject but I am just telling you his leash is not as long as you might think it is. Missing the tourney for a third straight year is not going to make for a good environment period. 

So you know a guy who knows a guy who to spoke to one person?  How many Dixie cups were there in the phone chain?

Purple monkey dishwasher.

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

I agree the team needs shooting but I'm hesitant to say different players is the fix.  It's not at all unusual for Miller's teams to struggle with shooting and are always terrible at the line; that's a trend that tells me it's not all on the players.

Do you think crean made oladipo the player that he is today or do you think Victor was completely addicted to the gym and his craft? Crean had some to do with it im sure but the best way to be a shooter is to put up shots. I realize archies trends of bad shooting teams...but maybe he is emphasizing defense constantly, not a bad thing in my opinion

10 minutes ago, wirenuts said:

Do you think crean made oladipo the player that he is today or do you think Victor was completely addicted to the gym and his craft? Crean had some to do with it im sure but the best way to be a shooter is to put up shots. I realize archies trends of bad shooting teams...but maybe he is emphasizing defense constantly, not a bad thing in my opinion

Am I supposed to believe that in his career he hasn't had players that put up shots on their own?  The fact it's a trend tells me something coaching wise needs to change.

Crean's teams have a trend of too many turnovers and lousy defense.  

24 minutes ago, wirenuts said:

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. Lots of examples in the tourney of teams that are tough on d and can still shoot. They don't tend to be run & gun, but make shots. 

And while you didn't ask me, I think the answer to "did Crean make Oladipo the player he became?" is yes. Obviously not 100%, but you can't blame coaches for not developing players and then deny them credit for players that do. Archie can't make the players want it for themselves, but he can push. Mostly he can get the right kind of players (hungry, motivated) in the first place, which is what I think most of us agree on. 

31 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. Lots of examples in the tourney of teams that are tough on d and can still shoot. They don't tend to be run & gun, but make shots. 

And while you didn't ask me, I think the answer to "did Crean make Oladipo the player he became?" is yes. Obviously not 100%, but you can't blame coaches for not developing players and then deny them credit for players that do. Archie can't make the players want it for themselves, but he can push. Mostly he can get the right kind of players (hungry, motivated) in the first place, which is what I think most of us agree on. 

Yes Archie can push. I'm not in his gym during his practices so I cant say one way or another. I have to assume that he does. 

33 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Also I didnt really say that anything had to be mutually exclusive...even though it sounded that way. Maybe archie does need to teach more offense, and less defense. I cant really argue that at this point. I just saw how good this team could actually be if shooters can consistently hit open shots. It gives me hope for this coach and system 

7 hours ago, Demo said:

I’ve really become fond of Windham and would be happy to add him. But I don’t think he’s physically ready to help now. To me, he’s a perfect redshirt candidate who could step into the rotation in ‘20 and be good for 4 yrs. That makes me less excited about the idea of taking both Leal and Galloway. A Windham with a year in the program is probably more ready to play than either of those kids.

But, big but, I don’t think a ‘19 backcourt of only Rob, Green, Al and Franklin gets it done. I really want another guard who can take Rob’s back up minutes and who’s ready to play this year. Windham’s not that. Green and Al have proven they aren’t facilitators.  So if there is only 1 scholarship and I have to choose between Windham and a guard who can play this year, I want the kid who can play. But if there ends up being another ride available,  or there isn’t a better short term option, would take Windham, no problem. 

This is where I am as well.  Fortunately I can see a world where we take Brunk, Windham and a traditional 1 yr Grad Transfer that can handle the ball next season.  The three would (1) shore up the front & back country while providing Windham an opportunity to RS as well as (2) provide class balance for 2020 forward.

In terms of not trusting DeVonte to be a facilitator....yes, he turns the ball over too much....but factually he averaged more assists per game than RP and played fewer minutes per game.  If Rob isn't on the court (and sometimes when he is), DeVonte will be the primary ball handler.  If we are going to bring in another guard, it needs to be a shooter first and ball handler second.

7 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I know the answer to this. VO lived at Cook hall between his freshman and sophomore year. He got up at least 1000 shots a day, every day of the summer. Had nothing to do with Crean. I had VO talk to my son about getting shots up in the summer. Crean may have helped in other areas but not in shooting, that was all VO putting in work every day of the summer. 

We need the whole team to live at Cook Hall this summer!

I don't see Windham playing meaningful minutes in 2019-2020. As pointed out, he is not physically ready and frankly he is not quick enough for the level of competition IU plays. If Windham isn't going to play next year, then why not save the scholarship for better guard prospects in the 2020 class? The enthusiasm for Windham is what often happens after a disappointing season when fans and sometimes coaches start grasping for solutions.