Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

I’ve really become fond of Windham and would be happy to add him. But I don’t think he’s physically ready to help now. To me, he’s a perfect redshirt candidate who could step into the rotation in ‘20 and be good for 4 yrs. That makes me less excited about the idea of taking both Leal and Galloway. A Windham with a year in the program is probably more ready to play than either of those kids.

But, big but, I don’t think a ‘19 backcourt of only Rob, Green, Al and Franklin gets it done. I really want another guard who can take Rob’s back up minutes and who’s ready to play this year. Windham’s not that. Green and Al have proven they aren’t facilitators.  So if there is only 1 scholarship and I have to choose between Windham and a guard who can play this year, I want the kid who can play. But if there ends up being another ride available,  or there isn’t a better short term option, would take Windham, no problem. 

I don’t think next year’s roster “gets it done” either. But I don’t think that should dictate any scholarship offers. If we can land immediate impact grad transfers - great. But I’d also prefer to invest the scholly in a four year kid that fits what Archie is trying to do. I’m out on the Lester kid.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

His Creighton offers not listed on 247. If so that does intrigue me. 
The fact we are looking at Windham isn’t what concerns me, the fact he feels like option E is what concerns me. 

Creighton and Nevada wants him to take an official no offer yet

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

If the players execute correctly I see nothing wrong with Archie’s offense. He needs to get them executing it correctly though

I agree. He's not a Bob Knight level offensive coach that can manufacture points with just about any personnel, but his offense is good enough to put up numbers with the right offensive talent. We went through a dip this year where the offensive execution was terrible, and I seriously doubted Archie's ability to craft an offense. But by the end of the year, we were back to getting plenty of open looks, but the shots just weren't falling.

Throughout the 2017-2018 season we kept saying that the team would look great once we actually had shooters because we got a ton of open looks, but just couldn't shoot. We thought that would get fixed this year with Romeo coming in, but he actually made the outside shooting woes worse. The problem was largely not the quality of the looks though. There were a lot of open shots. 

23 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Give me:

Beverly
Top Grad Transfer
Windham
Any grad transfer
Bank the scholly

Lester is going to be eyeing his first chance to get to the league. I don’t like any of the IMG business.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I would put Windham fourth. Gotta get some impact guys in here. What we currently have will not cut it imo  if we want to make the dance. 

I would put Windham fourth. Gotta get some impact guys in here. What we currently have will not cut it imo  if we want to make the dance. 

Why? So we make the dance this year and then the impact guy leaves and we have to get another one year loaner?

No. Archie needs to make long term investments in building the program. Going to the tournament is great, but what the hell does it matter if we’re not built for sustained success.

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Why? So we make the dance this year and then the impact guy leaves and we have to get another one year loaner?

No. Archie needs to make long term investments in building the program. Going to the tournament is great, but what the hell does it matter if we’re not built for sustained success.

Well if you think Archie can miss the tourney again next year and not be on a red hot seat in year four sure go that route. You act like he can just keep missing it and will be given a pass by the BOT.  IMO he is mostly coaching for his IU career next year.  He will not get the Crean treatment. His leash is going to be a lot shorter. 

Well if you think Archie can miss the tourney again next year and not be on a red hot seat in year four sure go that route. You act like he can just keep missing it and will be given a pass by the BOT.  IMO he is mostly coaching for his IU career next year.  He will not get the Crean treatment. His leash is going to be a lot shorter. 

Have you spoke with the BOT to know their intentions?

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Have you spoke with the BOT to know their intentions?

I know somebody who has spoken to one of them.  Obviously we are not going to agree on this subject but I am just telling you his leash is not as long as you might think it is. Missing the tourney for a third straight year is not going to make for a good environment period. 

I know somebody who has spoken to one of them.  Obviously we are not going to agree on this subject but I am just telling you his leash is not as long as you might think it is. Missing the tourney for a third straight year is not going to make for a good environment period. 

Tend to agree with this. Though I have had time to simmer down and think Archie might very well be the right guy. Man I hope so. That said another season like this last one won't sit well with anyone. Need to have the feeling of positive momentum at the least. Didn't finish this season feeling like things are looking up and that to me is the issue.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

After the 12 game stretch, there was quite a bit of positive momentum. No, they did not make the tournament, and came out really flat against wichita st but they also beat some really good teams in the next set of games after that stretch. There is no substitute for a strong work ethic. I feel as though quite a few players did not have that, and with the injuries that they had, I'm suprised that they were able to beat the teams that they did. This was one of the poorest shooting teams that I can remember at IU, hands down. Virginia just showed what the ceiling is for a team that can defend and shoot. This next year's team needs improvement in shooting in the worst way, and I believe that they will get that. Archie is the guy, we need patience.....

3 minutes ago, wirenuts said:

After the 12 game stretch, there was quite a bit of positive momentum. No, they did not make the tournament, and came out really flat against wichita st but they also beat some really good teams in the next set of games after that stretch. There is no substitute for a strong work ethic. I feel as though quite a few players did not have that, and with the injuries that they had, I'm suprised that they were able to beat the teams that they did. This was one of the poorest shooting teams that I can remember at IU, hands down. Virginia just showed what the ceiling is for a team that can defend and shoot. This next year's team needs improvement in shooting in the worst way, and I believe that they will get that. Archie is the guy, we need patience.....

Came out flat against Wichita State and also in the virtual tourney play-in game vs. OSU. I just can’t get over that OSU game. If the tourney doesn’t motivate you ?!?!?

Agree about the shooting. There were plenty of issues with the offense (ie as an example where on the court Romeo would get the ball ) but we did have a number of open opportunities that we did not cash in.  A three point threat would have put us in the tourney. 

Tend to agree with this. Though I have had time to simmer down and think Archie might very well be the right guy. Man I hope so. That said another season like this last one won't sit well with anyone. Need to have the feeling of positive momentum at the least. Didn't finish this season feeling like things are looking up and that to me is the issue.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree that another year like this one and Archie would be in trouble. But, this we not only did not make the tournament but for much of the year we played uninspired and seemingly without the effort required at this level.

If we miss next year but the top players next year are primarily freshman and sophomores that play with great effort that makes a big difference.

I think we also need to see some off season development in the current players. Almost all kids are going to get better as they get older but I have not seen any indications our ability to develop kids is anything special. I would love to see several of our returning players make noticeable jumps.

It would also be helpful to see Archie’s recruits really play well. Rob was really the only one who has but Race and Hunter were hurt and Romeo was already good. If Franklin comes in and plays better than his ranking then our confidence in his ability to spot talent increases.

I think Archie can answer some of these questions and yet still not make the tournament.

1 minute ago, DChoosier said:

Came out flat against Wichita State and also in the virtual tourney play-in game vs. OSU. I just can’t get over that OSU game. If the tourney doesn’t motivate you ?!?!?

Agree about the shooting. There were plenty of issues with the offense (ie as an example where on the court Romeo would get the ball ) but we did have a number of open opportunities that we did not cash in.  A three point threat would have put us in the tourney. 

I just dont believe that this team was motivated to play anyone...you had players that moped when they wouldnt get the ball, other players that just stood around on the wing, waiting to get the ball when they had a true ability to take over a game. But the biggest issue by far was the inability to hit outside shots. You just cannot be a one dimensional team and try to be finishers when the other team knew exactly what you were gonna do, because you could do nothing else. The blueprint was set after IU's second game in the BIG. Coaches knew that they couldn't shoot, and they did exactly what the tape showed to turn IU into a one dimensional team. You cannot spread out the floor effectively if you cannot shoot. Period.  You saw what the offense could do when they were making shots.