Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

37 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

Wait, when was this said? Was it in this thread?

Christian said in an interview that Trendon would not go to IU if Romeo stayed. I mean is that bad to say-not really. Just why does it matter? I just think IU needs to stay away from guys who want to go to college for one year. Nothing against Romeo or Trendon. 

This was a post on the last page of this topic.

16 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think I'd rather have Quinones over Watford, Beverly, and Windham. He would be the first guard off the bench in year one and start year two. I'd love Watford but the Romeo comment rubbed me the wrong way. IU needs guys who will play to their role. That is why I love seeing Devonte getting shots up at Cook Hall!

Is Watford's role not 5 star, go to scorer? 

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

More often than not players play in college at the level they are rated as high school players.  Five star players are special and are usually better than four star players, four star tend to be better than three star, etc. Obviously, there are exceptions but they are exceptions. A two star most likely will not be a player who gets a whole lot of playing time at a top 30 school, especially in their first year. Again, there are exceptions which is why an underrated player garners media attention when he plays well enough to become a starter on a Final Four team.  Maybe Windham will be one of those exceptions.  Personally, I would hope that Miller lands a higher rated player who can shoot, like Lester Quinones.

Interesting to see the data that shows 4* perform at a higher level than 3* recruits in college. I understand the 5* arguement, but I think the accuracy of ranking drops after that can’t miss guys. Does the 50th ranked 4* kid really out perform the 125th ranked 3*? I think a lot depends on coach, system, player mentality, etc. recruiting rankings do not account for those. Which is why after the 5* can’t miss prospects one can’t bank of rankings. 

12 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

Villanova has lived on kids in the 30-60 range.  I'm very confident kids ranked around 50 on average easily outperform kids ranked around 125.

I think the 30-75 range is the sweet spot because you are getting really good players that likely aren't going pro after 1-2 years.

Nova has also recruited kids lower ranked than that and higher ranked than that. They get kids that fit what they do. 

1 hour ago, goonaha said:

Is Watford's role not 5 star, go to scorer? 

He very well could. I would be surprised if he goes to IU. I think he is Memphis or Alabama bound. Also think we have a decent shot with Quinones. He can flat out shoot. 

Nova has also recruited kids lower ranked than that and higher ranked than that. They get kids that fit what they do. 

This, we need to recruit to our needs. Regardless of stars, the kid needs to play hard whether he’s starting or coming off the bench. A culture needs to be reestablished quick, fast, and in a hurry. We don’t have that so it doesn’t matter what talent we bring in it won’t fit.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

This, we need to recruit to our needs. Regardless of stars, the kid needs to play hard whether he’s starting or coming off the bench. A culture needs to be reestablished quick, fast, and in a hurry. We don’t have that so it doesn’t matter what talent we bring in it won’t fit.

Exactly - we need foundation players. We need guys that are here for 3-4 years and want to get IU back without worrying so much about their own draft status.

It's easy to look at Oladipo and say we want a roster of those guys, but a little harder to know who those guys are. He had the physical tools, but worked his butt off to get his skills where they needed to be, all in the context of the team. He was a rare guy who could showboat a little, but you never felt like he was trying to hog the attention or take anything away from his teammates.

But you also have guys with a lot of skill with maybe not all of the physical tools. Many times those guys play with passion and a chip on their shoulder that you don't get from the higher ranked players.

37 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

don't forget, speedily, asap, real soon and stat. lol

He very well could. I would be surprised if he goes to IU. I think he is Memphis or Alabama bound. Also think we have a decent shot with Quinones. He can flat out shoot. 

I agree I don’t think we have a great shot with Watford but don’t forget that Watford and Quinones have discussed playing together in college.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Since Jake announced he was leaving, it's been pretty quiet on the transfer front ... Wonder when/if some other shoes will drop. 
Yeah I am pretty surprised. I thought for sure one other guy was leaving.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

IMO, guys often don't see their ranking change much after they commit to a school and it's based largely on where they committed to.  For instance, Windham committed early to Georgia State and then had a nice senior season....but it didn't seem to really effect where he was ranked.  IMO, if he had been ranked at something like 150 and had the same senior season he had, he would have stayed at 150.  Late risers or fallers don't see changes in their rankings.  A guy like Emmitt Holt who had an incredibly late rise I'm not sure ever got ranked in the top 500, but he certainly had talent.

The thing is, Memphis is a much more likely landing spot for both
I think we have about a 1% chance on watford. I think the grad trasfer route is our best option.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

What I hope for is that we fill spots with our top choices. For example, if we swing and miss on several kids and end up with our kids that were our 4th or 5th choice I will be bummed.

So that means if we target Windham early and get him great. If we try for several other kids first and end up with Windham then I would be concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners