Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

I think I'd rather have Quinones over Watford, Beverly, and Windham. He would be the first guard off the bench in year one and start year two. I'd love Watford but the Romeo comment rubbed me the wrong way. IU needs guys who will play to their role. That is why I love seeing Devonte getting shots up at Cook Hall!

I’m in the camp about the Romeo comment. What was said?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

People here would go crazy.   Kid's a 2* recruit (we're talking Jalen Windham from Ben Davis, right?) who has offers from North Dakota State, Georgia State, IUPUI, and Ohio.   People are saying we shouldn't offer Luke Brown.  What will they say about Windham?

I’d take both along with Leal and Galloway. They are winners that play the right way which is something that IU has struggled to find in recent years.

3 hours ago, Schreckbagger said:

So where's the next two shoes that were to drop by end of this weekend? Do we have three open scholarships or five?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using BtownBanners mobile app

I hate speculating but I'd be really surprised if Justin Smith comes back to IU. It sounds like TJD is going to be the 4 and Brunk, assuming he comes, will be your 5 with De'Ron. Race also plays the 4. I don't think Justin would like a role where he comes off the bench. I hope Damezi sticks around for one more year. He has a better path for playing time than Forrester and Moore. Also, we have three. Romeo, Clifton, Jake, Juwan, and Evan are gone. TJD and Armaan filled two of them. I'm okay with Archie having 11/12 scholarship players. You don't need to fill all 13 spots. 

3 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Look at Texas Tech's players and their rankings. Rob Phinisee wasn't a top 100 recruit. I'm done worrying about recruiting rankings. If the kid will play hard for Indiana and Archie plus fit the system I will take them!

I’m with you to a degree but Rob was also offered by Butler, VIrginia, Georgetown and Purdue. Leal (3 BT schools, Butler, Stanford and others) and  Galloway ( 4 BT including MSU and Butler/Notre Dame) both have multiple good offers. Windham, several MACS, IUPUI and Ga State.  Maybe he would be great but makes you go hmmm (basing this on other coaches opinions/offers, not stars).  If we pick him up wish him the best and hope it works out.

43 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I hate speculating but I'd be really surprised if Justin Smith comes back to IU. It sounds like TJD is going to be the 4 and Brunk, assuming he comes, will be your 5 with De'Ron. Race also plays the 4. I don't think Justin would like a role where he comes off the bench. I hope Damezi sticks around for one more year. He has a better path for playing time than Forrester and Moore. Also, we have three. Romeo, Clifton, Jake, Juwan, and Evan are gone. TJD and Armaan filled two of them. I'm okay with Archie having 11/12 scholarship players. You don't need to fill all 13 spots. 

Smith was talking about not being used properly on the perimeter. I think he sees himself as a 3. I am NOT saying I agree with him.

Agree with you that we should not feel compelled to fill all 13 slots no matter what.

6 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Smith was talking about not being used properly on the perimeter. I think he sees himself as a 3. I am NOT saying I agree with him.

Agree with you that we should not feel compelled to fill all 13 slots no matter what.

Smith’s best fit is as a small ball 4 in an up tempo game. He would have been a fit for Crean. But if he genuinely believes he belongs on the wing, that’s a problem. Since Archie would rather not play small or up tempo,  and if Hunter is able to go, I really don’t see a fit for Smith.

Smith’s best fit is as a small ball 4 in an up tempo game. He would have been a fit for Crean. But if he genuinely believes he belongs on the wing, that’s a problem. Since Archie would rather not play small or up tempo,  and if Hunter is able to go, I really don’t see a fit for Smith.

Archie isn’t against an uptempo game, as long as it’s created from defense. The problem we had this past season was getting transition from our defense in conference play. We seemed out of sync running the fast break and I think a lot of that had to do with continuing Tú due to injury.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

On 4/6/2019 at 1:05 PM, Brass Cannon said:

3 of our best 3 point shooters are back and 2 were under classmen if it’s not better a shooting coach needs to be put on staff. 

That's like being the tallest midget.  We need good shooters really bad. 

10 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

That's like being the tallest midget.  We need good shooters really bad. 

Yes because never in the history of college basketball has a freshmen dramatically improved his shooting numbers.

Yogi was shooting over 40 percent from day one.......Wait the judges just informed me that despite having Cody Zeller, Watford, Hulls and Oladipo to create space Yogi only shot 30 percent his freshmen year. Upping it to 40 his next season. Is it possible that players get better?

4 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Look at Texas Tech's players and their rankings. Rob Phinisee wasn't a top 100 recruit. I'm done worrying about recruiting rankings. If the kid will play hard for Indiana and Archie plus fit the system I will take them!

I get it and I'm with you.   I'm talking about the history of this board.   I've made the same argument for years...rankings mean nothing unless you get a few top 30-40 kids on the same roster.   I'd rather have basketball players.   Happy to see others beginning to agree.

3 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Archie isn’t against an uptempo game, as long as it’s created from defense. The problem we had this past season was getting transition from our defense in conference play. We seemed out of sync running the fast break and I think a lot of that had to do with continuing Tú due to injury.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I think Archie SAYS he likes to run. Maybe he even thinks he does. And easy run outs off of TO’s or long boards, sure, who doesn’t?  But I think in reality he’s a low possession, inside/out guy who places a higher priority on limiting TO’s and forcing the other team to defend. Yeah, we’ve all seen him wave his arms a couple times a game like he wants them to go. But in reality this team doesn’t run hard, ever. Didn’t last year either, and that was with veteran guards who’d played tempo previously. So I think it’s what he’s teaching. I don’t mean it critically. Bennett’s playing for a NC playing the lowest possession rate in the country. I just think it’s a bad fit for a kid like Smith. 

12 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think I'd rather have Quinones over Watford, Beverly, and Windham. He would be the first guard off the bench in year one and start year two. I'd love Watford but the Romeo comment rubbed me the wrong way. IU needs guys who will play to their role. That is why I love seeing Devonte getting shots up at Cook Hall!

I may have missed it.....very busy lately....what did Romeo say?

I’m with you to a degree but Rob was also offered by Butler, VIrginia, Georgetown and Purdue. Leal (3 BT schools, Butler, Stanford and others) and  Galloway ( 4 BT including MSU and Butler/Notre Dame) both have multiple good offers. Windham, several MACS, IUPUI and Ga State.  Maybe he would be great but makes you go hmmm (basing this on other coaches opinions/offers, not stars).  If we pick him up wish him the best and hope it works out.

I see what you’re saying about windham. Us looking into to him, I hope that is a sign he was misevaluated and not look at how far IU’s recruiting has taken a dip in the last couple months or so

More often than not players play in college at the level they are rated as high school players.  Five star players are special and are usually better than four star players, four star tend to be better than three star, etc. Obviously, there are exceptions but they are exceptions. A two star most likely will not be a player who gets a whole lot of playing time at a top 30 school, especially in their first year. Again, there are exceptions which is why an underrated player garners media attention when he plays well enough to become a starter on a Final Four team.  Maybe Windham will be one of those exceptions.  Personally, I would hope that Miller lands a higher rated player who can shoot, like Lester Quinones.

Edited by Honkyman