Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

What if it's players and not player. I was told there will be two more and that the players have been told. I don't necessarily believe this but we'll see. 

Wow- not totally unexpected (I mean Bobby C called his shot) but still a big deal. Losing 7 scholarship players is a lot. 

If it is indeed more than one player just today that are being added to the list of transfers out, I’d like to think (and hope) that Archie has a plan set out with players he knows are going to take their spots, instead of it being a case of “well we got rid of who we wanted, so now what?” I’m leaning more towards the think than the hope. I just can’t see all these players being gone and Archie not have replacements in mind that are pretty much locked in to take over. Although it’s never really fun to see kids have to move elsewhere, it’s also exciting to see what Archie is able to create now that it appears he’s taken the bull by the horns and making a roster of his liking. 

9 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

It wouldn't shock me, but I don't want that to happen.

He's a guy who would be best served by sticking with it and figuring out a role for himself on this team.  There's no shame in being a backup for 4 years as long as you can produce when your number is called.

Plus I've got a soft spot for him since he's from South Bend, I'll always root for him.

I want both of them to stay.....but only if Justin can become a positive force on the team in terms of attitude.  If I was Archie, I would have had the end of year meeting with Justin and dad and laid down the law...NO TWITTER dad.  Justin, work hard, and become a leader.

What if it's players and not player. I was told there will be two more and that the players have been told. I don't necessarily believe this but we'll see. 

So if true, it is coach driven. I like that. Would prefer they evaluate better if that applies here but i will give the staff more slack if they send kids packing who can’t play with the effort needed

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm curious as to what you mean by this? ... Not doubting you at all, I'm just wondering what "the players have been told" means? ... I thought with Fred's "Bill of Rights," once an athlete was on scholarship, as long as he or she remained in good academic standing, etc., the scholarship  was guaranteed for four years -- and he or she couldn't be forced to leave? ... Or is it a matter of Archie and the staff just saying, "Look, you don't fit into what we're trying to do. You can stay, but it's likely you won't see a minute of playing time the rest of your career." And that fella figures he'd rather play than ride the pine, so he decides to transfer? 

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm curious as to what you mean by this? ... Not doubting you at all, I'm just wondering what "the players have been told" means? ... I thought with Fred's "Bill of Rights," once an athlete was on scholarship, as long as he or she remained in good academic standing, etc., the scholarship  was guaranteed for four years -- and he or she couldn't be forced to leave? ... Or is it a matter of Archie and the staff just saying, "Look, you don't fit into what we're trying to do. You can stay, but it's likely you won't see a minute of playing time the rest of your career." And that fella figures he'd rather play than ride the pine, so he decides to transfer? 

I think he means the rest of the team- other returning players have been told.

24 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

If it is indeed more than one player just today that are being added to the list of transfers out, I’d like to think (and hope) that Archie has a plan set out with players he knows are going to take their spots, instead of it being a case of “well we got rid of who we wanted, so now what?” I’m leaning more towards the think than the hope. I just can’t see all these players being gone and Archie not have replacements in mind that are pretty much locked in to take over. Although it’s never really fun to see kids have to move elsewhere, it’s also exciting to see what Archie is able to create now that it appears he’s taken the bull by the horns and making a roster of his liking. 

Agreed, it's not a pretty process, but neither were all of the lethargic starts and half-@$$ efforts we saw most of the year. 

The one thing I will say that hopefully holds true for men as well, is Woman's team had a horrible first season under Teri Moren and many players left including Laren Brooks their best player and people wondered if she was right for the job and what was going on.

Once she got the problem players away and her system installed the following year with a limited roster she surprised everyone and went to NCAA tourney. Since then she has made NCAA or NIT every year and won over 20 games each season which is better than anyone has every done with Women's team. Even this year after losing Buss and Cahill the best players in program history she still made tourney with several really good transfers so that may parallel as well. 

Obviously Archie will need to be even better than Moren for people to be happy but hopefully a similar scenario occurs with even more success.    

11 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

A coach can kick them off the team but they can stay as students and have their school paid for if they want. The bill of rights protects their education but doesn't guarantee a spot on the team. 

Losing that many players at one time is unsettling to say the least but if some of them felt like they should have been playing 20+ minutes/game and couldn't see their own limitations/deficiencies in practice then what was going to motivate them to improve?  This is wild speculation on my part but I think the decisions on Archie's part were made in the middle of the losing streak and he started putting out feelers (however you do it within full NCAA compliance) at that time.  I'm hopeful we get a firm commit from Brunk (2 yr. eligibility) and then I expect to land another grad transfer (1 yr. eligibility) and at least 1 more freshman or sophomore transfer who will have to lay out a year.  Add in Beverly or Quinones plus one more true freshman.  I didn't keep track so I probably have us oversold on schollies.   lol

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Losing that many players at one time is unsettling to say the least but if some of them felt like they should have been playing 20+ minutes/game and couldn't see their own limitations/deficiencies in practice then what was going to motivate them to improve?  This is wild speculation on my part but I think the decisions on Archie's part were made in the middle of the losing streak and he started putting out feelers (however you do it within full NCAA compliance) at that time.  I'm hopeful we get a firm commit from Brunk (2 yr. eligibility) and then I expect to land another grad transfer (1 yr. eligibility) and at least 1 more freshman or sophomore transfer who will have to lay out a year.  Add in Beverly or Quinones plus one more true freshman.  I didn't keep track so I probably have us oversold on schollies.   lol

Remember I said I was told this was going to happen but not from anyone on staff, only from a former player. Not even a former player I talk to often so don't know if it's true or not, just sharing the info. 

I know I shouldn't be in this day and age, but I am surprised at how quick some of these players are to leave a program like IU just for the sake of more playing time, etc.  In the past, transfers happened because of personal conflicts with coaches, when it's needed for player and coach to move on.  Rick Calloway, Luke Recker, and Jason Collier come to mind under Coach Knight. Now, players that are getting a free, high quality education from one of the best schools in the country want to transfer to chase their dreams of a basketball career in the NBA.  I partly blame coaches, but I really blame parents and "handlers" of these kids. They fill their heads with an unrealistic future where the NBA awaits them when the reality is that less than 2% of NCAA players make it to the NBA.  No one wants to be a role player or work their way onto the floor by out hustling, out working their teammates for a spot to prove themselves.   They would rather transfer to another school, sit a year in most cases, and then vie for a shot at a lower level school where they may not have to work quite as hard to get seen.  There are THOUSANDS of high school kids in Indiana who would KILL for just a shot to be on the bench and shot to try to prove themselves!  Seriously - Who in the world is telling Clifton Moore and Jake Forrester that they have a better shot elsewhere???  Insanity!!!   Best case scenario, Clifton and Jake go to a mid to lower tier Big East, AAC, or C-USA team.  Sit a year, and then gets 15-20 minutes a game, averaging less than 10 points per game.  Is that really worth transferring for?  It's not going to make a lick of difference in their basketball future.  These kids get so wrapped up in their own hype and what people around him are telling him to do that the lose sight of reality - that not all players, even those who work hard and have talent, see the floor.         

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

This is a misconception. The Student athlete bill of rights guarantees their school is paid for. It doesn’t mean they have a spot on the team. The staff can kick them off the team. That player can stay at IU, get a free degree, but he does not count as a basketball scholarship player. So the team gets another scholarship to give out to a recruit. 

This is a misconception. The Student athlete bill of rights guarantees their school is paid for. It doesn’t mean they have a spot on the team. The staff can kick them off the team. That player can stay at IU, get a free degree, but he does not count as a basketball scholarship player. So the team gets another scholarship to give out to a recruit. 

Yes. I am so glad this is catching on. The bill of rights is not a bad thing, people, including the media, just have misrepresented it on numerous occasions and haven’t actually read it.

Regardless of your feelings with the administration, the bill of rights does not hinder Archie.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app