Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This is a great article on Devonte.

I just finished reading this 2 min. ago and was gonna post it. You beat me to it by a minute. Agree w/ you -- very interesting story. I absolutely cannot fathom growing up without my mom. Makes he have a little different appreciation for Devonte. 

13 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Just talked w/ a different co-worker who had lunch w/ one of the managers on the team.  Nothing new or ground-breaking, but he said that there is no "family" atmosphere on the team, everyone playing for themselves.    The interesting thing I was told is that the assistant coaches are "a big part of it"- I asked my friend what his friend meant- he said that they don't really foster a team vibe.  Said that Romeo is almost 100% gone.  Also said that there are no alphas on this team (which we all definitely could see). Obviously, the manager can't/won't say a lot, but I'll take any news I can get.  

Not much was left for Archie “leadership” wise when he came to town. Crean didn’t foster that culture at all outside of the Hulls class. Juwan may  have played like it on the court but who knows what the locker room was like. When everyone he came to IU with left early and his coach got fired halfway through his career, it’s understandable if he was looking out for himself. Freshmen aren’t going to take on that role, especially when one is getting all the hype and has one foot out the door the second he came to IU. Devonte and Smith have tended to play for themselves and Davis had injuries to deal with.

I expect Rob to become the guy who will set the level of expectations for his teammates going forward. He will be the anchor to establishing Archie’s culture for the program.

Sounds like Archie is going to be shaking some things up this offseason, and it’s much needed. He’s been here two years now and the gloves need to come off. You can tell with how he’s acted with the media that he has felt like a guest in Bloomington up until this point, but it’s his team and in a way his town now. He needs to start acting like it and do what needs to get done to right this ship.

14 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Just talked w/ a different co-worker who had lunch w/ one of the managers on the team.  Nothing new or ground-breaking, but he said that there is no "family" atmosphere on the team, everyone playing for themselves.    The interesting thing I was told is that the assistant coaches are "a big part of it"- I asked my friend what his friend meant- he said that they don't really foster a team vibe.  Said that Romeo is almost 100% gone.  Also said that there are no alphas on this team (which we all definitely could see). Obviously, the manager can't/won't say a lot, but I'll take any news I can get.  

The comment about the assistant coaches is particularly disturbing if it is indeed a fact or even a partial fact.  And if it is factual does Archie recognize it and do something about it?

36 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Coaching is as much about relationships as it is about Xs and Os and strategy and film sessions and preparation. This is just my own speculation, but Archie doesn't seem as if he's the kind of guy who will build strong, lasting relationships with players. He seems very Tom Landry-like. Perhaps somebody with more insight into the program would know more, but Archie just seems to be the type who wants to coach practices, coach film sessions, coach games and be done with it -- and not necessarily get close with his players. Crean was kinda goofy, but it seemed as if, for the most part, he had a pretty good relationship with his players. He loved them; they loved him ... I remember in "Miracle," Kurt Russell (Herb Brooks) said: "I'll be your coach, but I won't be your friend." ... Again, just my opinion, but I think in this day and age, you have to be more. Not necessarily a friend, but someone with whom you can build a relationship. Archie just seems very business-like and distant. Maybe it's the players -- and when Archie gets all his own guys in there, that'll change. Not sure. But it does seem like something's missing in that respect. 

28 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The comment about the assistant coaches is particularly disturbing if it is indeed a fact or even a partial fact.  And if it is factual does Archie recognize it and do something about it?

He has to do something, that's the kind of thing that will keep this program in the sh!tter.

13 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

This program is a wreck behind the scenes. What a dumpster fire. Sounds like it won’t get better anytime soon. Hopefully this will be the end of Fred Glass’ time at IU.

I just don't understand why nobody stepped in when our APR was getting bad. It really hurt Archie in gettting rid/getting players his first two years.